The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External TV point on coach built

+6
Dutto
brodco
murph
ubuntu1
-mojo-
CC
10 posters

Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty External TV point on coach built

Post by CC Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Was wondering if any members have fitted an external tv point?

I want to fit one on our Nuevo and having had the fridge vents off recently I figure I can fit one around the area where the vents are, not sure where Auto Sleeper fit theirs as standard?

Noted when removing the fridge vents I can also gain access to to the back of the panel and existing tv point that we use for the on board Status aerial but I will just fit a flush mount point just for plugging into when using on hook up as I don't like feeding the cable through the hab door and rubber and just plugging it in from outside will be easier and quicker when going on and off site.

Was thinking of mounting the socket between the vents or above the top vent, if anyone has done this could you confirm if you did it this way or if you have an AS factory fitted point where it's located?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty Re: External TV point on coach built

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Something that occurred to me a while back - would it be possible to mount an aerial socket inside the mains hookup point? I looked at mine, and it ~looks~ like there is enough space in the top right hand corner. Obviously you would need to plug it in before the mains hookup, but that doesn't seem to be a big issue.

If there's enough space then a panel-mount socket from somewhere like Maplin would seem ideal:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty tv point

Post by ubuntu1 Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:56 pm

You can buy specific external tv points. Easy to fit just make sure that you seal it well. Here is one type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:16 pm

ubuntu1 wrote:You can buy specific external tv points. Easy to fit just make sure that you seal it well. Here is one type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The issue for me is not wanting to drill any more holes in the van if I can possibly help it. Hence the suggestion of using part of one that already exists...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty External TV point

Post by murph Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 am

Hi CC,
Ours is mounted at the front lower edge of the bottom fridge grill, looks like an origional fitting.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty Re: External aerial point

Post by brodco Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 am

-mojo- wrote:Something that occurred to me a while back - would it be possible to mount an aerial socket inside the mains hookup point?
The same thing crossed my mind a while ago. I think the problem is that doing so would infringe the wiring regulations. They state that the inlet must conform to BSEN60309-2 and modifying it in any way would invalidate any approvals. Also unless you can maintain the required clearance distances you have to find a way to insulate the aerial socket and cable to 230V standard (i.e. all cables must be insulated to take account of the highest voltage present). Whistle1

I’m not saying it’s unsafe – just that it may not be strictly legal.
Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks for the replies everyone up!

My local shop has the vision plus surface mounted sockets which is the one I was going for, think this is the same as Ubuntu shows in his link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just been out and snapped this pic on the iPad which shows the two fridge vents.... The top vent is situated just below the TV cabinet so thinking mounting it at this height is probably best... so if I can, I thought about mounting it on the right side of the top vent between the vent and the hab door providing there is nothing behind this area to obstruct me in doing so, think this will probably be the neatest solution?

Otherwise I could mount it low as Murph suggested and run the cable up inside, there is a nice spot just above the skirt and over to the right of the bottom vent.... Think before I get the drill out it will be best to get the socket and stick it on with some tape to get an idea of where it looks best or most discreet as they are not the most attractive things...

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 am

CruizingComet wrote:............

CC

Had that type fitted to "Petal" last year. Solid bit of kit. allthumbz

I did the opposite of "low down" and went for "high up" just above the awning (and adjacent to the TV inside).

The awning cover tends to hide it away when on the move and when stopped the only thing to remember is to insert the cable before extending the awning. (A real "Doh!" moment that was!)

Also, if you go this route make sure to leave enough room to get the cable inserted. Mine only just fits in and could have done with being mounted an inch higher!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the recommendation dutto.... up!

The Maxview products do seem to be well made

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 pm

CC
I've had a Bilbos van fitted with one of those as a standard fit, they are top quality.
I think your idea is best, see how its looks in various places in the area around the fridge vents.
Remember to put in on straight! winks

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:29 pm

hoopman wrote:CC
I've had a Bilbos van fitted with one of those as a standard fit, they are top quality.
I think your idea is best, see how its looks in various places in the area around the fridge vents.
Remember to put in on straight! winks

Regards
John

Many thanks John.....

Nice to have good reports of the vision plus socket as I wasn't totally convinced up!

Don't worry I'll make sure it's fitted on straight as I'm really finicky about things like that and if I didn't get it right it would really irritate the heck out of me (never mind the earache from MrsCC) gettinwrong

hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi CC I changed the single inside TV point to the twin TV & satellite socket then ran the cable down the rearof the microwave & down the rear of the fridge then into the inside of the outside locker. I then put on a standard surface mount house tv socketon the underside of the floor just inside the top right of the outside door locker. I can then just plug in my portable sat dish and the cable still fits when the locker door is shut. You could still use it for a terrestrial aerial & would just need to make up a lead for the inside with a F sat connector on one end. This works really well with no loss of signal and even in HD.
At least there is no drilling holes or fear of water penetration. I did remove the microwave but then discovered you can remove quite easily the panel at the rear of the wine glasses thus gaining access. You will find however that you can only get the cable down on the left side looking from inside the Nuevo by pushing it where the existing cables go. It is very tight and only just enough room for a single cable.
Good luck with which way you decide to go.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi again CC
I woke up this morning and thought, “when we had our Nuevo ES it had an external aerial socket on it “. scratch head scratch head I’d forgotten all about this! Must be getting old. frustrating

I’ve attached the picture below which shows it mounted on the offside of the van. When we bought the Neuvo it was a one owner vehicle and when purchased new the vehicle was fitted with a bike rack, rear ladder and external aerial point. What I don’t know if whether these were fitted by A/S or the supplying dealer. I suspect the supplying dealer.

However on one occasion I had the need to remove the base of the wardrobe, above the wardrobe drawer and I now remember seeing that the aerial coax had been spliced, to support this external aerial point.

I’m not sure if this helps you or not but gives you another option. Due to the number of external bits on the offside of the van the aerial point is not really noticed.

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty here in Spain

Post by shelldrake Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Have seen a number of these fitted to all sorts of vans here in Javea and they all seem fine etc
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi there

Invisible when the awning is out.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 pm

hoopman wrote:Hi again CC
I woke up this morning and thought, “when we had our Nuevo ES it had an external aerial socket on it “. scratch head

However on one occasion I had the need to remove the base of the wardrobe, above the wardrobe drawer and I now remember seeing that the aerial coax had been spliced, to support this external aerial point.

I’m not sure if this helps you or not but gives you another option. Due to the number of external bits on the offside of the van the aerial point is not really noticed.

Thanks again everyone.... Moggy, Dutto and Hoopman

John, Thanks yes I can indeed see and recognise the TV hook up point.... (lovely Nuevo by the way) as we keep our TV in the TV cabinet above the fridge I still think it makes sense for me to mount it near the vents, otherwise your idea might would have been OK... I wonder if this is how Auto Sleepers fitted them?

I got the image plus TV socket this morning and it's the earlier older model as in pic below (not so rounded) but I think that's fine as it will blend in with everything and still seems to be good quality... I liked the newer model but I guess it'll do the same job.

Not sure if the later ones are the same fitment but it has a built in round conduit and the instructions say to drill a 25mm hole in the side of the van confused0 I presume this is to prevent water ingress, not happy drilling a hole that size I'm going to cut that down with a blade so its flush with the hole then drill a much smaller hole the exact diameter of the coax then sikaflex around it before mounting the socket on the wall, just cant bring myself to making such a big hole in the side of the Nuevo hugegrins

Inside I will just have a surface mounted socket on the shelf and just unplug the patch lead from the cabinet into the surface socket when using an external aerial source, will certainly save a lot of messing around feeding cables in and out of the motorhome when coming and going as we do at the moment gimmefive

Thanks all for the comments and pics up!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there

Invisible when the awning is out.

Best regards,
drinksallround

thats exactly where i have just fitted mine on the harmony :-) straight into the bulkhead with the original socket is inside up!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty external tv mount

Post by mallyboy Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:13 pm

hi cc hope not to late with this only just joined the forum. I had my external mount fitted by spinny when i bought my nuevo ek it was fitted in the same Place as hoopman had on is but mine was connected to the booster box so when i need to use the external one all i do is disconnect from the status and then connect the external works fine also i put two stick on plates down the side of the window where i fix my pole with the antenna.the stick on plates and clamps pole and antenna i think where from grade its a good set up works well for me MALLYBOY up!
mallyboy
mallyboy

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Mallyboy

Thanks for the reply that sounds a good way but I finally fitted the TV point a couple of weeks back... Not enough room around the fridge vents as I had intended fitting it, so positioned it to one side of the external locker which looks and works fine.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

External TV point on coach built  Empty tv mount

Post by mallyboy Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

hi glad its sorted happy viewing and camping up! drinksallround MALLY BOY
mallyboy
mallyboy

Male