The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity!

5 posters

Go down

Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity! Empty Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity!

Post by Dutto Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi there,

I'm getting fed up of celebrities jetting all over the place to make "Documentaries" when all they are doing is going on holiday and getting us to pay for it!

For example, tomorrow we have the following experts:

o David Suchet "In the footsteps of St Paul." (aka Holiday in Mediterranean.)

o Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas. The description states "In Scandinavia he learns how Norwegians make the most of festive flavours." Anybody want to bet he isn't asking any of the 100,000 Norwegians that live in the UK?

o Joanna Lumley: Noah's Ark. My absolute favourite. Again the blurb says "Joanna Lumley crosses three continents ..."! Yeah, right. World renowned expert does in-depth research into a myth!

There are others tomorrow but I'm off to bed to dream of someone paying me to wander around the world doing research on how the size of breasts vary between twenty-one year old girls depending on what they eat; or failing that something to do with angling!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity! Empty Re: Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity!

Post by DuxDeluxe Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh, that scores about 9.5 on the grump scale. Completely agree with you. My other "celebrity" grump is people like Sarah Ferguson buying an economy ticket and insisting on a first class upgrade because of who she is. frustrating
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity! Empty Re: Pay for my holiday 'cos I'm a celebrity!

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:20 am

Have you also noticed that whenever there is a 'news' story around the world, the BBC send a newsreader there?

Do they really have to read the six o'clock news from some battlefield somewhere?

Is it really a good use of the licence fee?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:19 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Have you also noticed that whenever there is a 'news' story around the world, the BBC send a newsreader there?

Do they really have to read the six o'clock news from some battlefield somewhere?

Is it really a good use of the licence fee?

PB

"Yes!" and "No it's not!" - but after all is said and done they are only spending our money! tap_fingers

Also noted:

o Weather forecasters who have to stand out in the piddling rain to convince us that it is raining!

o The "gruesome twosome announcer act". This is where two announcers read out a story that an eight-year old child could complete on his or her own; but where the two announcers read out alternative sentences.

I find both of these also "grinding teeth" material. tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards and merry xmas
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:35 pm

I was in Miami in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and watching (for a laugh, 'cos it isn't serious TV) FOX news, which has a dubious reputation as the republican and NRA mouthpiece of choice. They did an absolutely brilliant montage of the poor reporters - from other networks, of course - doing pieces to camera in the floods.

The very best one was a shot of a reporter talking to the camera and then in the background was another TV crew where the reporter had kneeled down in about 6" of water to make it look as though she was up to her thighs when talking to her adoring public in Hillbilly, Tennessee..........
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:26 am

On a similar vein, why oh why do they ALWAYS tell us whats 'coming up' on the news

TEN SECONDS BEFORE ITS DUE TO START.................Arggggh

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:01 am

....and those channel 4 type low budget documentaries where they show the same bit of film multiple times due to a lack of anything more relevant. A prime example this morning was on "yesterday" talking about the Ark Royal being sunk by U boats in WW2 and showing a clip of HMS Barham capsizing and exploding. Repeated again a few minutes later. Don't get me started on low budget computer graphics for similar documentaries.......... Do they think that we are censored! stupid?

Ahhhhhhhh......... Feel better for that! content
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:24 am

How about the "documentaries" that start something like ...

"When police discovered a body in the woods ....." then after every advert break:

o "Police discovered a body in the woods ........."

o "After discovering a body in the woods the police .......... "

o "Discovering a body in the woods ........"

..... all followed by the same description to pad out a thirty minute story to an hour!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

After the first time I sit there grinding my teeth and shouting at the TV "We KNOW they found a sensored1 body in the woods so get on with it!" ......... just before I hit the "Off" button and tune in after the last adverts to find out who did it!
allthumbz

Merry Christmas,

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 am

I reckon most news writers and readers are really American cowboys.

For example, the Queen is reported as 'heading for the Palace to hole up for the Festive Season ahead of New Year.'

Do they imagine it gives their reports some kind of street cred with people who never watch the BBC anyway?

Your worst culprit for excess travel is that 50 year old teenager, Prof Cox. He once did 4 locations totalling 23000 miles in one two minute shot - for no good reason that I could see, apart from taking the Mickey out of the viewers.

Of to ,lunch. Have a good 'un.
Peter
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down