The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

+5
CC
dandywarhol
Paulmold
squip
nforrgolf
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank Empty Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by nforrgolf Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 pm

I have just taken delivery of a 2010 Suffolk and have only managed a single night stop. Before departure I filled up the water tank which overflowed (as per the Owners Manual 7-1) and checked the gauge which registered 100%. On arrival at the site ( 120 miles mostly on Motorway) I noticed the water level now showed 75%. This seems a large loss , over 17 litres, through the breather pipe. Is this normal?

Can the breather be extended in any way to reduce the loss?
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank Empty Re: Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by squip Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 pm

I think that the water guages are notoriously unreliable. Did you confirm the water loss by re-filling the tank on arrival to get an exact figure? The guage on my van only registers quarters ie empty, ¼, ½, ¾ and full.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank Empty Gauge Accuracy

Post by nforrgolf Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks Squip, yes it took quite a bit of water to fill again but I did not measure it. I did a second trial for the homeward journey and exactly the same happened again.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank Empty Re: Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by Paulmold Mon May 09, 2011 10:09 pm

This is a link to a thread on MHFacts on this subject [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank Empty Losing 25% from a full Fresh Water Tank

Post by nforrgolf Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for the reference I will drop the tank and have a look.

It would seem stupid to only fill to 75% as a solution.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 pm

As posted on MHF - are you needing to travel with a full tank of water - equivalent to carrying another body on board?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf Wed May 11, 2011 7:24 am

If you travel across Europe in the winter there are many occassions when you don't know if fresh water will be available. But surely the point reallly is that tanks should be designed to

retain their contents and it seems they don't. Perhaps Autosleepers should investigate and find a solution, there certainly seems to be a problem.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed May 11, 2011 8:19 am

Fair 'nuf...........ah, the days when we crossed Europe with a 10 litre fresh ans waste tank under the sink in a Hiace - things seemed simpler in these days...... biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 am

When I fill the tank on our Trident I notice when it becomes full it overflows from beneath the van.

I mentioned this on here a while back and someone told me (think it may even have been Squip?) that the tank has ventilation holes? So if this is the case and yours is the same, when you are driving with a fullish tank then I'm guessing as the water sloshes around as you drive and brake you can't be off losing some of the water on board?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 am

All the above posts are perfectly understandable and there is no mystery involved but to lose 17 litres is too much , I was hoping
the problem had been solved by some handyman who might enlarge on how to reduce the loss.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed May 11, 2011 9:37 am

I agree it's unacceptable for this kind of loss - and you shouldn't have to do it to a new van but I'd fit an extended "elbow" on top of the tank and take a breather hose to a higher place on the van (if there's space - the clubman has) . Then fill in/cover the existing breather holes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks Dandy I'm off to drop the tank to have a look. CAK tanks have a great selection and I have dealt with them before, one of the pipes must be capable of doing the job.
I will report back regarding progress.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 am

If it was me - I'd also be reporting back to AS and tell them the current arrangement is unacceptable.

I've spoken to Mark in Service at the factory a few times and he appears to listen. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf Wed May 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes been there done that .........the reply was "you can expect this to happen!!!!!"

Anyway I have just been under the tank and the breather is a small outlet on the the front SIDE of the tank obviously near the top. Lo and behold attached to this
is about 20" of blue water pipe which is not supported and hangs down BELOW the bottom level of the tank. So for starters I have re routed the pipe which now vents upwards just above the top level of the tank. I will give it a test run tomorrow and fingers crossed, problem solved or at least reduced.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 pm

And the other thing is.......When I first got a 'van with a hot-water system it took a while for me (not being that bright you understand) to realise that, yes the fresh water tank might be nice and full, but switch on the pump and it transfers 10L into the heater tank. Then all of a sudden the gauge is showing only 3/4. Doh, where did that go? 😕
eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed May 11, 2011 2:50 pm

nforrgolf wrote:Yes been there done that .........the reply was "you can expect this to happen!!!!!"

Anyway I have just been under the tank and the breather is a small outlet on the the front SIDE of the tank obviously near the top. Lo and behold attached to this
is about 20" of blue water pipe which is not supported and hangs down BELOW the bottom level of the tank. So for starters I have re routed the pipe which now vents upwards just above the top level of the tank. I will give it a test run tomorrow and fingers crossed, problem solved or at least reduced.

That'll be yer answer - the water is syphoning out of the tank!

well done - now go and rattle AS's knuckles Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed May 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Wo - dont go stripping the tank out yet.

Your Suffolk is basically the same van as ours but on a Merc. The water indicator is a rough guide only. Fill up to 100%, turn the tap on for 30 secs and its down to 75% for a cupfull of water! I know its very annoying but you havnt lost water its just the way the Sergent panel and indicator is.

Our van has been like that since new along with other models using the same system.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 pm

roli wrote:Wo - dont go stripping the tank out yet.

Your Suffolk is basically the same van as ours but on a Merc. The water indicator is a rough guide only. Fill up to 100%, turn the tap on for 30 secs and its down to 75% for a cupfull of water! I know its very annoying but you havnt lost water its just the way the Sergent panel and indicator is.

Our van has been like that since new along with other models using the same system.

Agreed, but if the breather pipe is dangling down below the water level it will syphon out til it gets to the pipe level. "U" tube principal smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nforrgolf Sat May 14, 2011 9:58 am

Tube re-routed: after a short run I am pleased to report the gauge remained at 100%.

Simples!

Thanks to all for the inputs, I am very impressed with the forum.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 am

nforrgolf wrote:Tube re-routed: after a short run I am pleased to report the gauge remained at 100%.

Simples!

Thanks to all for the inputs, I am very impressed with the forum.

Excellent tip / advice there for other members nforrgolf up!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

I'm up to Coniston this weekend with a full tank, so will be watching for this and requesting a modificaton if I leave the water all over the M6... thanks for the advice
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:I'm up to Coniston this weekend with a full tank, so will be watching for this and requesting a modificaton if I leave the water all over the M6... thanks for the advice

Without seeming nosey, why are you travelling 300 miles with that weight of water on board when you can fill up at a service station etc. in the Lake District??????????

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed May 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Good question....

1) because I can! smile! - also to see what happens as above
2) Can't be bothered to fill up en route - it is a fiddly filling thingy
3) The campsite has not much in the way of facilities and it might be a trek to the tap
4) We tend to fill up before travelling anyway, though I accept that this is not the most cost effective means of doing it. Then again, if I were to worry about cost effectiveness and saving a couple of quid, I would not have spent £50K on a van in the first place.....

Hope that clarifies things a little (not) Cheers
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:if I were to worry about cost effectiveness and saving a couple of quid, I would not have spent £50K on a van in the first place.....

Like your style DuxDeluxe hugegrins

We rarely ever fill our tank, usually just empty one or two of our 5ltr water carriers into the tank before we set off so we can at least pull over on route and have access to water should we need it, then just top the tank up daily as we need to but tend to empty the tank for the return journey. It's down to individual choice at the end of the day!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu May 26, 2011 12:42 am

It is habit, I suppose - not worried about the payload as it is huge on a 4 tonne broadway and some places it can be a pain to fill up (Poole yacht club, where it is easy if you have a boat but not if you are in a van on the marina wall - Osprey dinghy championships, before anyone asks.....)

Cheers everyone. Just arrived at Seoul airport to fly back to find my flight is delayed by 4 hours and I miss my connection. Not a happy bunny but at least the Cathay lounge is nice and they have sorted alternative flights
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next