The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV help please

+3
Paulmold
SteveUK
Ann B
7 posters

Go down

TV help please Empty TV help please

Post by Ann B Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Picked up our Topaz yesterday and what a thrill to drive it home. Not driven a van before so found the high viewpoint you get great and I soon got used to the different width. Playing at 'Wendy House' today while Mr B is at work trying to get used to how all the equipment works (read ALL the brochures last night - kept me busy).

We are taking it out for the day on Thursday and then plan a weekend away but with nights starting to draw in I think we are going to get a TV/DVD player so I need a bit of advice (have searched the forum and found lots of messages but having a total phobia about electrics/volts/amps etc I'm looking for someone to explain in simple terms what we need to look for.

So: -
do I need a dual voltage TV if we are not going 'wild' and will be relying on hook-ups - will a 'normal' TV not do?
if we get a dual voltage, can we use the 12v power while hooked up or is it a case of one power system at a time?
most of the 12v or dual models I have looked at seem to have a cigarette lighter type plug but our Topaz 12v socket is two pin (I think) - how do we get round this.
I feel a little foolish asking such questions but there's so much to learn and you guys seem to know everything smile!

Thanks
Ann B
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

TV help please Empty Re: TV help please

Post by SteveUK Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Ann,

I'm sure that you will enjoy your Topaz, and I'll bet that you just can't wait to get out in it!

The 12v power connection you mention is almost certainly the "Clipsal" type. Don't worry - you can get an adaptor lead to convert it to a cigarette lighter socket; here's just one example... eBay item.

As far as deciding whether to get a dual-voltage or a mains-only TV, if you are pretty sure that you'll always be on hookup then perhaps mains is the way to go. It would certainly cost less. I decided to go for a multi-voltage (actually 12v with a mains adaptor) with Freesat, Freeview, Analogue and DVD to cover all eventualities. Although it was about £220, I have been very pleased with it. If you simply need Freeview, a mains-only TV with built-in DVD player is under £120 from Tesco for example.

Of course, if you don't choose a 12v TV, you could always buy a 240v inverter to run the TV from 12v at a later date.

Have fun!

Steve
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Steve, very helpful - off to have a look at Ebay once I have checked that the Clipsal type is what we have.

Ann
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Argos have an Alba 16" (which I think is big enough for a van conversion) with built-in DVD for £99.99 or £89.99 if you don't mind it in pink! Not 12v though but personally I never use TV without hook-up as I worry that the leisure battery would die too quickly.

Also look at Kogan, theirs run on 12v as well (adaptor sold seperately for £9)..

http://www.kogan.co.uk/shop/category/16-24-led-tvs/
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 pm

There is a thread on wildcamping.co.uk about this at the moment. Which starts with , Morrison's have the Techwood 16" TV + DVD back on offer at £99. it's definitely got a 240/12v powerpack supply. so you need to buy a 12volt lead, off ebay. It has freeview as well,. Myself I got a tv off richer sounds with 5 year warranty or not much over a ton. , works off 12v ok. As for running down the battery, we have a 85amp and used the tv at Malvern for 3 nights ,off hook up with no problem , tv`s use little power.
That clipsal thing puzzled me at first, something to do with old caravans i`m told, cost £6 for an adaptor Gary

Last edited by gj1023 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Ann
As already said a mains only TV will be cheaper, so you need to decide if you want to be able to run it on 12V at anytime away from site. I would not be concerned about the drain on the leisure battery for a 12V TV. Most TV/DVDs are quite low power these days but you will pay in excess of £200.

The other thing to consider is where you intend to watch you TV in your Topaz. Having had a few of these vans in the past space is always at a premium and you dont want to keep having to move the TV if you are cooking or using the sink. However probably the most comfy seats in the topaz are the driver and passenger cab seats.

Another alternative may to be consider a flip down TV/DVD. These are fiited to the headlining between the front seats. However this will require routing 12V and aerial to it. Not difficult but will cost if dealer fitted, but the advantage is that it is out of the way but permanently fitted.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Dont be tempted to buy too big a screen. Remember its not a big van and space is precious. I would always go for a dual voltage jobby.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Ann.

The larger tvs are hard to store in a motorhome and tend to overpower the van when in use. I have a 15inch Avtex 12v/250v model with built in freeview. This seems to me to be the perfect size. It also has the advantage that it fits into a standard laptop case giving protection to the tv and storage for the power and aerial leads remote etc. look here

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

PS. Have just done 7 nights without hook up. telly on about 3 hrs every night. Off two 85 amp hour leisure batteries.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy R Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 am

This place has a decent selection and price range, if you do decide to go for a 12v. The smaller the size, the less amps they use in general.

http://www.wedodigital.co.uk/12v-tv/

Hope you get sorted, and enjoy your van!

Andy

Andy R
Andy R
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 am

Thanks Andy - found that site on Wednesday and ordered a TV. Looks good value.

Ann
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum