The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorhome v. Campervan. Let’s all be pedantic

+15
bikeralw
Peter Brown
frederic
v8oholic
Dave Gee
Bigt99
Caraman
Cymro
TeamRienza
Tinwheeler
Dave 418
Peatlander 2
Paulmold
Kdc
The Bargee
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Motorhome v. Campervan. Let’s all be pedantic - Page 2 Empty Re: Motorhome v. Campervan. Let’s all be pedantic

Post by bikeralw Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 am

v8oholic wrote:I can't speak for France, but elsewhere a camping car means something different. It's a car, usually an estate car, that people sleep in on campsites. Sometimes it has a roof tent, sometimes people just sleep in the load area, or with the seats reclined. You do see a few singles and couples travelling in them. They pay a lot less than a camper van or motorhome.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I think the term in this country is now Micro Campers.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Motorhome v. Campervan. Let’s all be pedantic - Page 2 Empty Re: Motorhome v. Campervan. Let’s all be pedantic

Post by groundhog Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:56 am

I love the look of that Volvo
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am

Our property deeds state: "No boat trailer caravan house on wheels lorry or large van or commercial vehicle shall be parked left placed or allowed to stand be built or erected on the Property or any part thereof without the previous written consent of the Transferor"  Despite the absence of punctuation and the commonly used terms of campervan, motorhome or motorcaravan, its meaning is pretty clear.  

When I type campervan and motorcaravan it defaults as camper van and motor caravan.  I wonder if campervan and motorhome are proper words?

I just found this on Brownhill's website:

[url=https://www.brownhills.co.uk/campervan-differences.html#:~:text=A van equipped as a,normally smaller than a motorhome.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

Oh I like "house on wheels"!  I think I may call our Nuevo that!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 am

Cymro wrote:Oh I like "house on wheels"!  I think I may call our Nuevo that!

Cymro
I don't know what a "house on wheels" is supposed to be.  I thought maybe a shepherd's hut or static but both of those could be described as caravans and both are on trailers.  When we bought our property in 2003 I obtained the written permission of the Transferor to park our caravan on it.  When we changed to a motorhome in 2019 I didn't renew the permission a) because a motorhome can be described as a motor caravan and therefore a type of caravan b) its footprint was much less than the caravan and c) the Transferor had gone bust!
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 pm

groundhog wrote:I love the look of that Volvo
I've seen a couple of old Land Rovers with roof tents, too. I thought I had a picture of one next to me on the site at Neusiedlersee, but seem to have deleted it.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

v8oholic wrote:
I've seen a couple of old Land Rovers with roof tents, too. I thought I had a picture of one next to me on the site at Neusiedlersee, but seem to have deleted it.
Volvo 850 T5R now that would get you on site quickly!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue May 07, 2024 7:03 am

Millie The Moocher wrote:

CCC consider a unit without on board toilet/ablution facilities to be a campervan, and units with the facilities to be Motorhomes.

Some interesting responses but I think Millie the M's comment above is the most interesting, and accords with my thoughts. Of course we can refer to our vans in any way we like but we might need to watch the ongoing march of regulation, which might harden the definition of "camping" for instance. It is noticeable that for more and more stopovers and sites (yes, CCC are one) there is a probably justifiable distinction being drawn between vehicles with independent facilities and those that do not, and we all see what happens to the countryside verges and hedges when (some) vans without independent facilities have been parked overnight, just as happens with trucks in roadside laybys, and the latter point concerning trucks will probably be be the impetus that spurs tighter legislation which could affect many of us. Of course the second half of the term "motorhome" could also have unwelcome implications, and the rather old fashioned term "motorcaravan" as used by DVLA might be even worse!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 am

I came across this the other day where the collective term used is motorcaravan:  

Just spotted a typo error under national speed limits.  I think it should say 3050 kg.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue May 07, 2024 8:48 am

In NZ wild camping spots and stopovers, especially in the many Department Of Conservation areas (the most scenic wild places in the country) are denied to vans that don't have the official self-contained certificate displayed. Fines can be heavy.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2004

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 am

The Bargee wrote:

Some interesting responses but I think Millie the M's comment above is the most interesting, and accords with my thoughts. Of course we can refer to our vans in any way we like but we might need to watch the ongoing march of regulation, which might harden the definition of "camping" for instance. It is noticeable that for more and more stopovers and sites (yes, CCC are one) there is a probably justifiable distinction being drawn between vehicles with independent facilities and those that do not, and we all see what happens to the countryside verges and hedges when (some) vans without independent facilities have been parked overnight, just as happens with trucks in roadside laybys, and the latter point concerning trucks will probably be be the impetus that spurs tighter legislation which could affect many of us. Of course the second half of the term "motorhome" could also have unwelcome implications, and the rather old fashioned term "motorcaravan" as used by DVLA might be even worse!
If we accept that the generic term is motor caravan, Peter's DVLA link shows how it is defined.  It must have: 

• seats and a table

• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats

• cooking facilities

• storage facilities

No mention of on board toilet/ablutions facilities.  This may be because carrying and using a removable porta potty is optional.

Last edited by Caraman on Tue May 07, 2024 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added'removable')
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 am

Most interesting, Al.  In countries where wild camping is prevalent, a system of displaying a certificate confirming that the van is self-sufficient may well be necessary. But no doubt the cost of the certificate will be set to cover the cost of enforcement by Rangers; there might even have to be a paid-for inspection before the certificate can be issued.  

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 07, 2024 9:25 am

A problem with wild camping in this country is that there is no common understanding of what it means.  Wild could be a remote spot in the countryside or a pub carpark or lay-by in a built up area.  There is no common understanding of camping e.g. does it include a stopover by day (for those that travel during night) or by night (for those that travel during the day)?  I have even read that its not camping if corner steadies, levelling devices, awnings, outside chairs and BBQs aren't being used.  Maybe wild camping is stopping anywhere that is not a registered campsite but for how long and are aires registered campsites?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue May 07, 2024 9:33 am

For me, camping is sleeping under canvas. Most dictionary definitions agree.

DVLA and Brownhills seem to avoid the toilet issue completely!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Millie The Moocher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 07, 2024 10:48 am

The Bargee wrote:For me, camping is sleeping under canvas. Most dictionary definitions agree.

DVLA and Brownhills seem to avoid the toilet issue completely!
I agree entirely and wild camping is pitching a small tent or bivi miles away from the nearest road or habitation usually as part of a back packing trek which I often did in my youth and my sons did as part of their DofE
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Millie The Moocher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2