The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memo-Holland e-bike rack

+2
Paulmold
niftyprose
6 posters

Go down

Memo-Holland e-bike rack Empty Memo-Holland e-bike rack

Post by niftyprose Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:03 am

Hello guys, I'm looking to put a folding e-bike rack onto the back of an old but well-kept Autosleepers Symbol, based on a 2004 Peugeot Boxer. I want a low rack for obvious reasons. The Symbol has never had a towbar fitted.

Present fave rack is the Memo-Holland M-Star, because it can be fitted directly to an Al-Ko axle without needing a towbar. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has fitted this rack and gives it the thumbs-up or otherwise. Also, if you think I'd be better off with a different rack -- or fitting a towbar -- I'd be glad to benefit from your experience.

Best, NP
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Memo-Holland e-bike rack Empty Re: Memo-Holland e-bike rack

Post by Paulmold Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:23 am

Does the Symbol have an Alko axle?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

BobK and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:24 pm

If you have a low rack, the bikes will obscure the rear lights so you must use a trailer lighting board. That, of course, mean you'll need that wired to the vehicle electrics.

Purely personally, I won't have anything on the back of any van, weight where it shouldn't be, longer for both ferries and parking, obvious theft risk for the bikes too, however, none of my business, each to his/her own!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Hiya guys, the answer to Paul''s question on AL-Ko axles turns out to be "Yeah, but..." 

I have no prior experience with Boxers and didn't realize this, but apparently Al-Ko axles have been pretty standard across the range for years. Our van certainly has one. However, the local Memo-Holland dealership says that they're unable to obtain suitable fittings for our 2004 model. Unless someone knows otherwise, that rules out "Plan A", which was to fit the new rack direct to the axle.

The "Plan B" of a towbar-mounted rack shouldn't be impossible. In answer to Ian's queries about lighting on the back of the rack: the van has a proper prewired takeup point for the electrics, so it's technically feasible. 

Can anyone recommend a suitable rack? Shopping list is:
* Can handle two bikes, one or both of them e-bikes
* Folds when not in use
* Robust; can cope with long mileages on the continent
* Not bothered about auto-lift and such

I fancy a Thule based on reputation but am open to suggestions.

TIA, NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:41 pm

I'm confused. I thought the Symbol was a PVC, therefore no Alko chassis (axle??) but will stand corrected.

Perhaps that is why there are no fittings available?

Search for recent threads on Atera Strada DL3 (last week). The only thing that rack doesn't do is fold up, but it is very easy to remove and it is compact and non-spiky so stows inside the van easily. Also lets you open the rear doors!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:07 pm

IanH wrote:
Purely personally, I won't have anything on the back of any van, weight where it shouldn't be, longer for both ferries and parking, obvious theft risk for the bikes too, however, none of my business, each to his/her own!

If I may take a bit of friendly issue Ian, and talking PVC's here (not some coachbuilts with massively excessive overhangs) :

Weight:   A sensibly loaded tow ball bike rack will usually be much less weight than the nose weight of any substantial trailer. In our case 2 x 23kg bikes + 14 kg rack = 60 kg on a van with a maximum tow ball nose weight limit of between 100 and 150 kg (I believe, and possibly subject to model). Many trailers and caravans have (indeed they need) a nose weight well in excess of 60 kg. My last caravan was nigh on 150 kg as it came out of the factory. Vans are built to tow heavy compressors, builders' trailers etc.

Security :  I have a heavy duty sheathed chain which I fit through the bike frames and padlock to the very heavy duty towbar when necessary. The bikes are probably more secure than in the van interior.

Length :  Yes, that is indeed an issue but in our van it would be very difficult and potentially damaging to stow spiky bikes inside, and they would get in the way of brewing a cuppa en-route. We just have to accept that we need a longer parking space / pay a bit more on the ferries.

Each to their own as you say!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

BobK and inspiredron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:02 am

Many thanks to The Bargee. I'm going to have a good look at the Atera Strada. NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:35 am

Having read all the above posts, I think the confusion is between "axle" and "chassis". I've never heard of mounting a carrier on an "axle" scratch head
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:01 am

Yup, think that's right. My first encounter with these beasties, so I'm cutting myself some slack. I wrote to the Sawiwa (sp.?) rack people to ask about the possibility of direct-mounting rather than fitting to a towbar and they asked for the VIN so that they could check direct with the makers -- so I haven't given up on this approach. I'll post the result here in case anyone else with an older AutoSleeper would like to do this. Thanks for all the constructive replies so far. NP.
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:19 am

We looked into the Memo chassis mounted bike as an alternative to the tow ball mounted rack. In the end we decided against it as it was heavy, about 40+kg, it was expensive at over £2000 and we heard a few criticisms about it holding perfectly in place although we have no personal experience to know if this was correct. A member on here had the Swaiko and found it to be good. 
In the end we got a tow bar and a Thule rack.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:27 pm

I think that if I were buying a rack for a coachbuilt or in any circumstances where the rear doors did not need to be opened then I would be looking at one of these chassis mounted racks. The towball clamps seem amazingly secure, rather contrary to my engineering sixth sense, but a chassis mounted rack should be more rigid. My Atera rack does bob around a bit going over potholes and one does wonder about metal fatigue but time will tell on that and it was by far the best option for me given the need for ready access through the rear doors.

In terms of weight it must also be remembered that the tow bar assembly is a fairly chunky piece of metal. I would be guessing if I suggested the weight.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niftyprose Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:37 pm

Hello guys, I promised to update this thread when I heard back from Sawiko. 

I wanted an axle-mounted bike rack for my 2004 Symbol.

The company relayed my original sales query direct to Al-Ko, who then requested photos of the rear axle assembly. I took a camera to the farm where we park the Symbol, shot the underside, and sent the photos to Sawiko. Al-Ko wrote back 24hrs later to say "Sorry".

The sad conclusion is that you can't get an off-the-peg axle-mounted rack for an older Peugeot Boxer. Your only option is to fit a towbar and then put the rack on that. We were quoted just under £500 to fit a towbar by our dead-reliable local garage.

Best, NP
niftyprose
niftyprose

Male

Back to top Go down