The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charging of batteries

+15
Dbvwt
Tinwheeler
Gromit
roli
Tigerbadge
burlingtonboaby
BobK
Roopert
mcalid
KMRTOPAZ
Peter Brown
nzowner
Paulmold
IanH
Loui1121
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Charging of batteries Empty Charging of batteries

Post by Loui1121 Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi all,

As I'm new to all this was wondering if I could pick your brains please.
I have winterised my 2007 Boxer Nuevo ES and have the mains hook-up cable plugged in with an adapter into a 240v socket in garage.
Can someone please tell me if both of the batteries are being charged whilst set up like this?

Also I have broken the glass shade on one of the reading lamps under the overhead cupboards and I'd love to know where is a good place to source second hand or new parts please

Many thanks
Loui1121
Loui1121

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Charging of batteries Empty Re: Charging of batteries

Post by IanH Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Not 100% sure re Neuvo but. Virtually certain only the leisure battery will be charged on EHU.

Others will know but no help re lamp, sorry
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Depends on your control panel. Does it look like this?...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Loui1121 Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi,
The control panel is like this[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Loui1121
Loui1121

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm not conversant with that one so hopefully someone else can help but it looks like you have it set to leisure. If you touch the 'hab' does it change to 'veh' , if it does then presumably you can select which battery gets charged. Hopefully someone will be along soon.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loui1121 Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Thanks for your help, Ill try that and see how we go smile!
Loui1121
Loui1121

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nzowner Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:57 am

Paulmold wrote:I'm not conversant with that one so hopefully someone else can help but it looks like you have it set to leisure. If you touch the 'hab' does it change to 'veh' , if it does then presumably you can select which battery gets charged. Hopefully someone will be along soon.
I can confirm you have to choose manually which battery you want to charge. Tapping the screen battery icon will alternate between 'veh' and 'hab'
nzowner
nzowner

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Alf and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:33 pm

It is an MES panel

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:32 pm

When all else fails, connect to EHU and use a voltmeter across each battery's terminals in turn. If the battery is being charged the reading will be above 14v.  That means the meter scale should be set to at least 20v.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:29 am

Loui1121 wrote:Thanks for your help, Ill try that and see how we go smile!
We have our Nuevo parked outside our door but it is still a chore to keep the batteries topped-up.
With the alarm activated we find that the VEH icon needs to be activated at least once a week for about twelve hours and then switching to the HAB, despite having a solar panel it still needs a top-up as sunshine is in short supply these months.
I would strongly advise keeping the vehicle battery charged as it seems to deplete very quickly.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:01 am

In that situation, it may be worth investigating whether the MES system incorporates a built-in split charge relay, or a separate one. If it's separate, it should be possible to replace the split charge relay with a VSR, and then you would not need to keep switching - once the leisure battery's terminal voltage exceeds the VSR's threshold, the two batteries should charge together - either from the EHU/charger, or from the solar panel.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:55 am

Paulmold wrote:Depends on your control panel. Does it look like this?...

With that control panel what is charging with the hab/veh rocker in the central position

And do you need the master switch on for any charging to take place
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 am

In Central position no charge happens to either battery from the main charger. Not sure about master switch. I had solar and battery-master on my Nuevo with that panel and didn't need master switch on as I didn't need hook up to electric,  the solar was capable of keeping both batteries up to par. Obviously when on site the master switch was on for everything else to work so charging then took place from main charger.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 am

Its a while now since I had the Rienza which had a panel similar to the first one posted by Paul.   The horizontal switch in the middle alternates the reading on the meter from battery to water capacity.     If I remember correctly when it is set at Battery, you can take readings for both leisure and vehicle battery by alternating the switch on the extreme left from Hab to Veh.    Is my memory accurate. scratch head
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:36 am

BobK wrote:Its a while now since I had the Rienza which had a panel similar to the first one posted by Paul.   The horizontal switch in the middle alternates the reading on the meter from battery to water capacity.     If I remember correctly when it is set at Battery, you can take readings for both leisure and vehicle battery by alternating the switch on the extreme left from Hab to Veh.    Is my memory accurate. scratch head

You are correct. I am not sure however that hook up does not charge when the bat switch is in the centre position. It might actually charge both batteries. I will test this with my Multi meter when I get a chance
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:38 am

mcalid wrote:
Loui1121 wrote:Thanks for your help, Ill try that and see how we go smile!
We have our Nuevo parked outside our door but it is still a chore to keep the batteries topped-up.
With the alarm activated we find that the VEH icon needs to be activated at least once a week for about twelve hours and then switching to the HAB, despite having a solar panel it still needs a top-up as sunshine is in short supply these months.
I would strongly advise keeping the vehicle battery charged as it seems to deplete very quickly.
Ditto
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:45 am

BobK wrote:Its a while now since I had the Rienza which had a panel similar to the first one posted by Paul.   The horizontal switch in the middle alternates the reading on the meter from battery to water capacity.     If I remember correctly when it is set at Battery, you can take readings for both leisure and vehicle battery by alternating the switch on the extreme left from Hab to Veh.    Is my memory accurate. scratch head

Incorrect as for the battery meter. That only reads the leisure battery regardless whether the rocker is on veh or hab.

Donator
Donator

Male

BobK, frederic and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:19 pm

So I went in my Motor home and tried the battery test with the Battery selector in various positions.

My conclusion is that it reads which ever battery the battery selector is set to.

Why do I say this.

Well I set it to Hab and did the battery test and the needle swung to a particular position. I then switched it to the centre and interestingly it then swung to a slightly different position (greater swing). This seemed to pick up the charger voltage alone

I then changed it to Vehicle and the swing position was different to the other two positions.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:32 pm

I didn't just make up my answer, I don't do that.  That question has been  asked a dozen times or more over the years, when I had my Nuevo I researched the answer and found the information on various forums which all gave the answer which I posted. I suppose it is possible that some vans using that panel are wired differently. If you have your own multimeter I wonder why you asked the question as you have the ability to find out for yourself. From your other posts/threads it's pretty obvious you ask questions to which you have already  made your mind up of the answer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Tinwheeler and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Paulmold wrote:I didn't just make up my answer, I don't do that.  That question has been  asked a dozen times or more over the years, when I had my Nuevo I researched the answer and found the information on various forums which all gave the answer which I posted. I suppose it is possible that some vans using that panel are wired differently.  If you have your own multimeter I wonder why you asked the question as you have the ability to find out for yourself. From your other posts/threads it's pretty obvious you ask questions to which you have already  made your mind up of the answer.

I asked the question as at the time I did not know the answer and thought I might get a quick and accurate answer here rather than get my tools out. There was then some differing opinions. I thought about it and then decided upon a simple test when I had time.

My test was on an actual Nuevo done today so should be accurate. I hope that my real life test and answer might be helpful to others that might read this.

As you say some vans may indeed be wired differently

Asking questions and debating them is how people learn and also help others. Some people however seem to have a problem if the answer they believed was correct is sometimes proved to be incorrect.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong one of the ways we learn.

I can see that you have been on this forum some time and have an incredible number of posts to you name and I am certain that you have been very helpful to many people. 

Other People with fewer posts might just have got a huge amount of life experience and be able to be helpful also.

Look at the number of views associated with my posts so far. Perhaps that is good for the forum
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi Loui1121, you have the same control panel as me & yes you switch the charging of the batteries by pressing the hab or veh icon.
You can check what voltage is in each battery on the control panel which mine was accurate as I checked with a multi meter.
As to your lamp, you might be able to get one but most people on here tend to upgrade to led lights.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:36 pm

Quote...'"I can see that you have been on this forum some time and have an incredible number of posts to you name and I am certain that you have been very helpful to many people. "

I joined way back in 2011 within the first few weeks. My posts number is inflated by the fact that I used to welcome every single new member which probably accounts for over 7000 of those posts which still leaves a lot but that's over almost 11 years. I no longer welcome people, there's plenty of others to do that . I like to think that I have helped many members and will continue to do so.

Donator
Donator

Male

nzowner, Peter Brown, Kemerton-bath, bikeralw, jwells and Roopert like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:39 pm

There's an old Victorian household guide and cookery book entitled ENQUIRE WITHIN UPON EVERYTHING.
On this forum Paulmold is the 21st century manifestation of that book 
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Cymro, brodco, rogerblack, Kemerton-bath, PLOUGHLIN, gef and Silver Tourist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:01 am

Paulmold wrote:Quote...'"I can see that you have been on this forum some time and have an incredible number of posts to you name and I am certain that you have been very helpful to many people. "

I joined way back in 2011 within the first few weeks.  My posts number is inflated by the fact that I used to welcome every single new member which probably accounts for over 7000 of those posts which still leaves a lot but that's over almost 11 years. I no longer welcome people, there's plenty of others to do that . I like to think that I have helped many members and will continue to do so.

I think perhaps some of the threads I have started here have also been helpful
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:16 am

Really?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive