The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway fresh water overflow

+3
IanH
Dbvwt
inspiredron
7 posters

Go down

Broadway fresh water overflow Empty Broadway fresh water overflow

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:39 pm

I normally use the whale filling point for fresh water top up, but occasionally use the bog standard filling point. Like others here, the fresh water sensors in the tank have got a mind of their own and are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. So when I fill up with the bog standard fill point I sometimes overfill. When this happens the excess water seems to flow across the top of the fresh water tank and drip down everywhere. My previous vans all had overflow pipes that could clearly be seen. I'm concerned that water is escaping from the tank inspection hatch. Before I drop the tank can anyone confirm where the overflow pipe is located.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Broadway fresh water overflow Empty Re: Broadway fresh water overflow

Post by inspiredron Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:17 pm

The overflow is a small hole in the top of the tank. I get you problem every time I fill with Whale. I don't have a hole in the wall.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks for that. I know lots of folk on here don't like the whale fill point but so far I'm not having any issues with it and it cuts off the fill pump with no spill over
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Maybe I’ve missed your point (easily done smile!) but when I fill my tank using the hole in the wall, the fact that water drips/cascades from the overflow - somewhere on top of the tank I guess - and also the fill hole tells me that the tank is full and it’s time to turn the tap off!

I’ve not ever thought a bit of spill over to be a problem, it’s the way I’ve always gauged that the tank is full.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

rgermain, RogerThat and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Maybe I’ve missed your point (easily done smile!) but when I fill my tank using the hole in the wall, the fact that water drips/cascades from the overflow - somewhere on top of the tank I guess - and also the fill hole tells me that the tank is full and it’s time to turn the tap off!

I’ve not ever thought a bit of spill over to be a problem, it’s the way I’ve always gauged that the tank is full.
In reality its the only way you know its full!!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm

I only have hole to fill on my van (a wildax) and have today posted the following on that Forum

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
16:18   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

To me it made no sense that when you fill the water tank when full it just comes out over the top of the tank so unless

you are on your hands and knees to look you soak the road which got me a telling off by a warden on a cold frosty morning 
as I made the road a skating area
So yesterday crawled under van and attached two pieces of garden hose to the breather ports these then simply pushed into about 6 inches to flexible waste pipe and this then ran to a short piece of solid pipe with a 90 degree and mini pipe to the side of the van near the fill hole.
No effect on the breathers as the two pieces of hose pipe are not sealed on to the waste pipe so can and do breath as normal.

I am guessing that the tank will be similar

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 pm

I got told by a Warden at a CCC site while filling my van " you are blocking the road" So red flag to a bull, I told him to b******Y well move the tap. He was a big fat guy who used to lean on the fence waiting to have a go at us customers.

His wife, or other half what ever they are called these days, did all the work. Never been back, dirty place anyway.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

RogerThat and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Ouch!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker51 Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:52 pm

When remote from a water tap I sometimes fill the tank with a container and funnel arrangement via the drain pipe but have always stopped before the tank is full, mainly luck than anything else.
I have often wondered where the tank would overflow if I got it wrong ie internally or externally and if it would cause any problems to the whale system.
At least the overflow gives a good visual indicator the tank is full.
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:53 pm

I’ve had the freshwater tank off our 2013 Broadway and the overflow consists of just a couple of small holes in the top surface of the tank.
The cover to access the submersible pump is on the bottom of the tank.
I took the tank off to fit a proper size (40mm) fill pipe and standard hole in the wall filler, no more holding up the queue when filling up now.
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:16 am

like Spanner, our two Swifts 'overflowed' from breather holes in the top of the tank....hose in, turn on tap, wait.....water starts to overflow (isually easy to see/hear) tank full.
our last two vans 'overflow' back up the large bore fill pipe.
Hose in, turn on tap, walk round to van door, monitor fill guage, wait till it reaches 100%, walk round to hose, reduce flow rate at hose end, and gently allow to fill to top of filler pipe, tank full.
not such a good method if your guage isnt accurate.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. There's a bit in me that doesn't like to see water dripping all over the place so I tend to stop filling before this happens. I may still drop the tank with a view to cleaning the level probes. Most of our trips are in Scotland with soft water, so curious about what could be affecting the probes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down