The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike price

+7
gary humphries
Quilter
groundhog
Gromit
Heanorboy
Paulmold
steamdrivenandy
11 posters

Go down

Bike price Empty Bike price

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat May 09, 2020 6:23 pm

This grumpy old man is downsizing, housewise, and looking to clear out lots of stuff. One of the first things to go is my bike. Despite lots of good intentions it's hardly been ridden for the last half a dozen years, though it had a professional service and new tyres and tubes about two years ago.

Thing is I have absolutely no idea what it's worth.

It's a Raleigh Pioneer Endeavour with 18 gears, flat handlebars, the stem of which has some rubber suspension device built into it. The frame is regular shape 24ins in Reynolds 501 tubing and the colour scheme is metallic purple and silver. The wheels are alloy and in good nick. Very little paint damage at all, though the edges of some of the decals have lifted. We've worked back through our life history and reckon it's 27 years old, but it doesn't look its age apart from the silver ish plastic mud guards have gone weirdly mottled. I'll be selling it with a matching purple helmet and a handlebar bag with puncture kit etc.

So has anybody any idea what I should ask for it?
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Bike price Empty Re: Bike price

Post by Paulmold Sat May 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Secondhand bikes don't fetch much. I've got a Saracen 21speed of about same vintage in exceptional condition due to very infrequent use (also not ridden for about 6 or 7 years,  and I'd be lucky to get £20 for it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sat May 09, 2020 6:44 pm

I wanted to get rid of a couple of old bikes a few years ago so put them in the front garden with £25 stuck on the front, just wanted to get rid, they didnt stay long, similar to yours old but not used with newish tyres.
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat May 09, 2020 7:06 pm

I agree with Paul.

When I wanted to get rid of ours I had to give them away.

I offered them to a local bike shop where I was on very good terms with the owner, offering him 50% of whatever he could sell them for.

He refused, saying they would only clutter up his shop for months because people would rather pay £100 for something that resembles a bike from Halfords, than £50 for one that cost 10 times that only a couple of years ago.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat May 09, 2020 7:11 pm

A local friend has sold her two bikes this weekend for about £30 each. She says it's a good time to sell as lots of people are looking to get bikes for their lockdown exercise sessions.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat May 09, 2020 7:16 pm

Seems like £20 to £30 is the going rate, I sold a Trek 820 recently, really nice mountain bike, old but hardly used and it went for £25.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Bike price 20200510
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 pm

We had 2 very servicable bikes that we could not get rid of either by putting them up for sale or on Freecycle. We took them to Halfords who, in Oxford anyway, are the depot for:

https://www.re-cycle.org/

who do up and ship bikes to Africa to be used by key workers there.  I don't know if they are active at the moment or where your local collection depot will be.

I like to think that somewhere there is a midwife or teacher making more use of my bike than I did.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by gary humphries Sat May 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi all , we got rid of 4 bikes in under an hour by putting on local facebook , people want them now for exercise during lockdown, stay safe .
gary humphries
gary humphries

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 pm

[quote="gary humphries"]Hi all , we got rid of 4 bikes in under an hour by putting on local facebook , people want them now for exercise during lockdown, stay safe .[/quote]

I agree..this is now the time to sell. Bikes are becoming as popular as flour!
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm

I was spurred on to dig our bikes out to give them the once over and maybe even risk going for a run. No chance, the tyres have gone as have the lining tapes and I'm not convinced about the inner tubes lasting very long. Did a quick check on the cost of replacement parts.............think I might be cheaper buying a couple of new bikes  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue May 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Askit wrote:I was spurred on to dig our bikes out to give them the once over and maybe even risk going for a run. No chance, the tyres have gone as have the lining tapes and I'm not convinced about the inner tubes lasting very long. Did a quick check on the cost of replacement parts.............think I might be cheaper buying a couple of new bikes  shrugg

Have you seen the price of new bikes Asky? Mind, I believe you can get a substantial discount via a government scheme.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm

steamdrivenandy wrote:
Askit wrote:I was spurred on to dig our bikes out to give them the once over and maybe even risk going for a run. No chance, the tyres have gone as have the lining tapes and I'm not convinced about the inner tubes lasting very long. Did a quick check on the cost of replacement parts.............think I might be cheaper buying a couple of new bikes  shrugg

Have you seen the price of new bikes Asky? Mind, I believe you can get a substantial discount via a government scheme.

I think I would have to go back to work to benefit from that scheme, been there, done that, got the hair shirt  hugegrins

At least getting the stuff will pass a few more days trying to fit it all, then there's the time it will take to get someone who actually knows what they are doing fix it properly  Whistle1 I used to be able to dismantle a bike and put it back together again (working, that is) but sadly remembering how to fix a bike is not like remembering how to ride one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Taking a bike apart and rebuilding is something I think I could still do. Working for Halfords for 13 years, many years ago, means I fixed hundreds of bikes from shoppers to choppers. I did toy with  the idea of buying scrap bikes and rebuilding to sell on and make a few bob but as you've found out, individual parts are very expensive and there would be no profit in it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue May 12, 2020 8:05 pm

In a fit of enthusiasm I got new tyres and inner tubes for our bikes last spring, they are a price aren’t they!
They down to fitted in the eighth or ninth week of lockdown! hugegrins

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue May 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Well I got £35 for her and a bit of space in the garage.

Weirdly, after owning the thing for 27 years I've just watched a YouTube video about the Girvin stem, which my bike was fitted with from new. The guy who did the video wasn't impressed and I can't say that it's rather simple suspension system made any difference at all. Still it looked good.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon May 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Paulmold wrote:Taking a bike apart and rebuilding is something I think I could still do. Working for Halfords for 13 years, many years ago, means I fixed hundreds of bikes from shoppers to choppers. I did toy with  the idea of buying scrap bikes and rebuilding to sell on and make a few bob but as you've found out, individual parts are very expensive and there would be no profit in it.

I eventually got the last of the spares, ordered from Halfords on 12th May, yesterday. They promised next day availability so only 11 days over  think_smiley_46. Paul, you might remember our bikes from when you were working at Halfords, Carrera Kraken and Carrera Vulcan. I surprised myself with how much of my knowledge of bike repair was still there. New tyres, mini service and a good clean-up and they are ready to roll. Next thing is to see if the old legs are up to it  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon May 25, 2020 4:05 pm

I finally retired my Kraken last year after 14 years of regular use. Fantastic bike for the money it cost at the time.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I finally retired my Kraken last year after 14 years of regular use. Fantastic bike for the money it cost at the time.

I've lost track of when I got it but it must be at least 25 years ago, it's still in good nick.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm

I left Halfords in 1983 when the only brands sold were Raleigh, Falcon, Claud Butler and Apollo (Halfords own brand). I don't think Carrera were around back then.
The government are issuing £50 vouchers to get old bikes roadworthy, perhaps we should form a company to take on this work.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon May 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Count me in Paul, I’ve currently got a waiting list of neighbours and friends who want me to give their bikes a quick check over.
Trouble is they don’t realise that after 20 years in the garage how bad a state they are actually in!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I had my bike (sold two weekends ago for £35) serviced at the cycle shop in Nantwich two years ago. Afterwards it really purred along. Sadly when they fitted new tyres and tubes the put on plain black tyres, rather than those with an orange band as originally fitted. I was surprised at how drab the bike looked with just that simple change.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down