The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED

5 posters

Go down

FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED Empty FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by 12MS Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi There, 

Pleased to be a member of this forum. Unfortunately my father passed away from cancer in January of this year.  I'm just now picking up the pieces. 

My brother & I have inherited his Ford Windsor motorhome.  It's a 2008 model, in great condition, with only 16,00 miles on the clock. 

I have a couple of things I need help with if you can!  

- First off the key keeps going flat. I've charged it by leaving the van on for 2 hours at a time, but it seems to go flat after 1 day. Would you recommend I purchase a new one from Ford, or would you say the vehicle just needs a really good run...

- Secondly the alarm system is started a constant beeping. It's quite a faint noise, so it's thankfully not disturbing the neighbours during the lockdown, but I suspect this has something to do with the fact the vehicle hasn't been taken on a good run since September....  Any ideas on how to disable it?  I couldn't see anything in the manual. 

I'm also not sure that taking the camper van for a run constitutes a genuine reason for going out right now!  I had a service & habitation check booked in last week, but both of them were cancelled due to the current government guidelines.

Thanks in advance!  up!
Kate
12MS
12MS

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Windsor Auto-Sl
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED Empty Re: FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by Paramedic Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Answers to your questions will follow shortly.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED Empty Re: FORD WINDSOR AUTO-SLEEPER 2008- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by Roopert Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:03 pm

12MS wrote:- First off the key keeps going flat. I've charged it by leaving the van on for 2 hours at a time, but it seems to go flat after 1 day. Would you recommend I purchase a new one from Ford, or would you say the vehicle just needs a really good run...

It seems that the key fob batteries have a reputation for failing, and if it's only done very low mileage it's not surprising, as there would have been relative few chances to recharge between periods of non-use. There are some instructions out there on DIY battery replacement, if you feel that way inclined, such as this one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like the batteries are only around a fiver on Ebay, if you're able to do a simple bit of soldering.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:09 pm

I have an '08 Transit based PVC. Never had a problem with the key battery though. 

My van has the two cranking battery set up that was common on Transits.Both of them reside under the driver's seat. One battery is always connected and keeps the radio and other stuff working when the ignition is turned off. I've just had to replace this battery as it was dead. But 12 years isn't too bad. The other battery is only used when the ignition is switched on and provides an extra boost in starting. That battery had already been replaced. Then, of course, there's the leisure battery, which in my van is fitted under the front passenger seat.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by 12MS Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:29 am

Thanks very much [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] & Steamdriveandy.  Great info. I will look in to key replacement asap, as it seems like this is the best route. The key is 12 years old, so it's inevitable it would fail at some point.  Especially seeing as my Dad was very unwell last year, so was unable to use the camper-van as much as he'd like to.

If anyone has any suggestions on the Alarm System, it would be greatly appreciated.  The beep is coming from the alarm panel & is pretty quiet, but consistent. It's also a recent occurrence. 

12MS
12MS

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:25 am

Do Windsor's have an alarm system as standard, or is it an aftermarket one that's been fitted? Transit's have a basic alarm fitted as standard to panel vans but I've not heard of it chirrupingand I don't know if it was also fitted to the Transit chassis cabs that a Windsor would've been built on.
If it's an aftermarket alarm then you'd really have to let the forum know what brand and model it is, to try and find someone who knows about that particular system.
The reason I mentioned batteries (above) was in case the alarm issue was due to a battery being flat. What are the readings for leisure and cranking battery voltage when the engine is off?
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:44 am

Welcome to the Forum. I am a great fan of these Mk7 Transits having owned an 08 Windsor for 8 years in the past.

I am fairly certain we had an alarm fitted to our 08 Windsor when the Tracker was fitted, so as others have suggested the alarm make/model would help.  I think the alarm system would also be powered from the Auxiliary Battery rather than the starter battery.    Peter B will know he had an Mk7 Tranny

For possible quick Transit questions have a look on The Ford Transit Forum under the Mk7 section. Very good source of info.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Leytonexile likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 12MS Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks all.  I'm not 100% on the alarm system - will check in to this. 

This does seem to be an auxillary battery issue.  I'll do a reading on the leisure & cranking battery voltage tomorrow.    allthumbz
12MS
12MS

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Be wary.

On mine the leisure battery was fine and read 12.7V or so. Nothing to worry about there.

On the same meter the cranking voltage read zero and the radio coding and display had gone, however the van still started up. This was because the second cranking battery, which is fine, kicks in when you switch on the ignition. However even after quite a long run, the voltage meter soon read zero again. So you can have a dead battery but still start the van.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down