The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOG Unit

+5
KMRTOPAZ
Eribiste
easylifer
Peter Brown
CJ1949
9 posters

Go down

SOG Unit Empty SOG Unit

Post by CJ1949 Wed May 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Got a new Bourton on order and one of the dealer options is the fitting of a SOG unit.
I was wondering if its worth the cost and how effective are they? 
Also does the air pump make a noise?

I have already ordered a factory fitted roof extractor fan in shower ceiling (combined in with the light) which is standard on our existing Winchcombe.
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

SOG Unit Empty Re: SOG Unit

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Our bathroom window is 2ft from neighbour's sog vent tonight so cant be opened as we will have his smells!!! Its not necessary and not neighbour friendly - although with a sog roof vent you could feed back into your shower vent. smile!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Our bathroom window is 2ft from neighbour's sog vent tonight so cant be opened as we will have his smells!!! Its not necessary and not neighbour friendly - although with a sog roof vent you could feed back into your shower vent. smile!
Must be a rubbish site if units are that close.

David
easylifer
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm

It's an aire, just off city centre and free to use, as thousands are over here. All eight spaces taken tonight. Very friendly bunch from France, Germany, Belgium and UK.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Eribiste Wed May 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Our last three motorhomes, including the present Broadway, have had SOG units. I think they're really good, no nasty whiffs inside, and with the activated charcoal filter in the vent we've not noticed anything unneighbourly from the outside either. The unit's fan makes a little noise, but not intrusive, even when used at night.

I empty the honeypot very frequently, depending on use of course. I also give it a twice yearly clean with Thetford tank cleaner to keep things sweet, so to say.

This business of the airflow doing the biological breakdown thing actually seems to work!
Eribiste
Eribiste

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 pm

Fitted a SOG to my son's Eldiss. A decision based on personal experience of five or so years of a MH with SOG. They are effective in keeping unwanted odours out of the habitation area.
Never had any reports of unhappy neighbours. Also conducted sniff tests outside our own MHs. Convinced that the dilution of odours by the SOG airflow to the exterior, effectively negates any significant risk of offensive odours being transmitted as far as neighbouring outfits..
In the circumstances pertaining in Peter Brown's post, it cannot be taken as serious negative comment on the SOG system.
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 am

Never had a SOG so no advice I am afraid, but, there is a product called thieves, forget the chemical fluid in the flush. We just add a few drops to the flush tank and spray the bowl with it too, Lady G is a terror for smelling everything and she finds this stuff just perfect.
Mind you it is reassuringly expensive over here in the UK... allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu May 30, 2019 10:43 am

People who have SOG love them, people that don't have them hate them. You'll never convince either side. It's certainly a Marmite product, so you'll never get a definitive answer. You'll have to make your own decision.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I have used one for fourteen years and never had a problem or a complaint about smell.
even stood right next to the vent when the toilet was being used and no smell.
However, not the same when emptying lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by naki585 Fri May 31, 2019 8:34 am

Have had a motorhome without a sog and really disliked the chemical smell from when using chemicals. 

Now have a  motorhome with a SOG  and would not be without. In my opinion they are fantastic. As soon as the slide is open the small fan sucks the odors out through the carbon filter. The fan noise is very unobtrusive and we hardly hear it now. Have not had any complaints about outside odor.

Cheers
naki585

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am

the SOG on both our most recent vans were factory fitted and they vented up through a roof chimney rather than out of the door, so any odour was expelled upwards well away from the van.
one other main advantage of a SOG system is that it doesn't need any toilet chemicals to work....I tried this but felt it operated better with some 'assistance'....we are converts to Lidl/Aldi Bio sachets in the cassette.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down