The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with Water on Roof!

+20
Actionmike
simontm1959
MelB
Ben001
groundhog
glyne lock
Caraman
Lucyc1937
Phoboff
Peter Brown
Mischief2
Phil j
roli
Paramedic
LDPD
Dare-devil-dennis
gemdeco
AndyLouch
rogerblack
Royal Rich
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Problem with Water on Roof! Empty Problem with Water on Roof!

Post by Royal Rich Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:58 pm

HI,   I have a Broadway EB, 2018 model, barely 3 months old. When vehicle parked on the level and it rains-- water "pools" in a dip in the roof , where the back end of the skyview window (above cab) meets the roof. Water pools almost the entire length of the seam between window and white roof.

Contacted Customer Services at Autosleeper, was told "this was normal , it is the design of the Autosleeper Broadway! Find that hard to believe. Any body else come across this "problem?" 

Comments/opinions welcomed! Richard.
Royal Rich
Royal Rich

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Problem with Water on Roof! Empty Re: Problem with Water on Roof!

Post by rogerblack Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Some info from others here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Richard, ditto with our Winchcombe! I have tried 'chocking' up with ramps etc. without success since it requires quite a gradient for water to run off! We keep the van on the drive, so at least once a week we go out for a run (mainly to make sure everything keeps moving) and to get the water off the roof.
One thing; when you move off make sure you keep the cab windows closed otherwise you will get drenched!
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi
    We have a AS Gloucester and we have the front up about 2" on blocks to keep the water off the roof ,it was the same with out AS Surrey so quite a common problem ,design fault in my view 
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal Rich Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks to the replies so far. Looks as if it is a design problem and decent chocks are required!!   R.
Royal Rich
Royal Rich

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 am

Try chocking it one side rather than one end. Might drain the water better, before it pools.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 am

Same issue with a Bourton.  On one occasion forgot about possibility of water on roof and drove off only to have water come in through the vents on the Remis window on the roof (it was securely closed) as it swirled around. Cushions got wet.Hard to believe it's a concave roof by design?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 am

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:Try chocking it one side rather than one end. Might drain the water better, before it pools.

Dennis
Splendid suggestion, as less distance for water to travel. More appropriate for winter months whereas during the summer, any pooled water will soon evaporate. allthumbz

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 am

One of our members on here used to organise a regular rally at a well known brewery and we went to one of these for the first trip our our then new Windsor.  
Snow fell that weekend and on the Sunday when I got onto the road there was a good pile left on the road (one of the ASOC members took a photo of it).   The 1st Broadways were a rebadged Simka/Windsor and had the centre part of the roof sunk and it was ripe for collecting water,  snow and leaves
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil j Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Our 2018 Broadway EB is the same ! i got a good soaking last time i used it moved of with drivers window open touched the brake and water came flooding in, i gave the roof a clean last week and noticed the puddle you mention.  i think parking with nose up is the answer   or make sure front window shut before moving off  rolleyes
Phil j
Phil j

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal Rich Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi all,  Thanks again for the further flood ( sorry for the pun!) of replies. Seems there is no recourse with Autosleeper on this one. As has been suggested, use chocks or whatever means of raising the side or front of the motorhome.

The joys of owning a motorhome!!    R.
Royal Rich
Royal Rich

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mischief2 Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi RR (All) would floating  gel-coat resin in the hollow on the roof prevent water "puddling" ????
Mischief2
Mischief2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Previous posts were from Nov 2018
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoboff Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:49 am

We have a 2020 Broadway. Same problem Bout 4 litres of water gathers over the seam between the "Luton" and the main roof panel. As the camper is built on a Peugeot Boxer this is a major problem. On braking This large volume of water runs down the windscreen, into the scuttle heater plenum chamber area. The water then fills the heater trunking and it is corroding the Anti Lock Brake Modulator and soaking the big grey multipin engine harness connector. It also swamped both headlight bowls. This resulted in a £1600 warranty claim thankfully met by Peugeot. My joy has been short lived. The new headlights have filled with water again! Never a Peugeot again, but can not afford a MB.
Phoboff
Phoboff

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:58 am

Checked mine a few days ago and it was a sheet of ice, problem if it is frozen and I drive away and it hits the bonnet could be costly if the ice hits edge on, before driving away when its freezing it has got to be cleared. Just another problem to check.
Merry Christmas everybody and lets hope for a healthy and better 2021.
Peter

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Dare-devil-dennis wrote:Try chocking it one side rather than one end. Might drain the water better, before it pools.

Dennis
Splendid suggestion, as less distance for water to travel. More appropriate for winter months whereas during the summer, any pooled water will soon evaporate. allthumbz
This is what I have done and it seems to work.  The ramps are on the nearside so the water drains to the offside away from the awning.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Caraman wrote:
Paramedic wrote:

Dennis
This is what I have done and it seems to work.  The ramps are on the nearside so the water drains to the offside away from the awning.
its best to make the water run off the O/S .you don't want the excess water going over the ecu and wiring on the N/S in heavy rain
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for ideas about chocking near side. Will try this. 
By the way, following suggestions on another thread, I have 'coated' the roof with 'Wet and Forget' to prevent green algae building up on the roof when van is not in use. This really does work!
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:24 am

owners cant really be expected to chock the van (especially sideways) if actually away and living in it...its been known to rain on sites, too...
while i can see a van with an overcab might require some specific water channelling, low profile coachbuilts and PVCs shouldnt suffer in this way, should they.
after all, Sevel vans have a slight nose down attitude so water shouldn't pool on the roof.
our Ducato based van is slightly low at the front and water runs off towards the front, channelled by 'roof rails'.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am

I've previously used Fenwicks Overwintering Protective Winter Cover on the roof of a caravan.  I might try it out on the Nuevo.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 am

Ever thought of buying a couple of ducks, might even get some free eggs? allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben001 Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:06 pm

bolero boy wrote:owners cant really be expected to chock the van (especially sideways) if actually away and living in it...its been known to rain on sites, too...
while i can see a van with an overcab might require some specific water channelling, low profile coachbuilts and PVCs shouldnt suffer in this way, should they.
after all, Sevel vans have a slight nose down attitude so water shouldn't pool on the roof.
our Ducato based van is slightly low at the front and water runs off towards the front, channelled by 'roof rails'.
Unfortunately pvc's do suffer to some extent from this problem as the rooflights tend to span the drainage/stiffening channels in the roof. Maybe the solution is to drill holes in the roof to allow the water to escape into the van hugegrins hugegrins
Ben001
Ben001

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Ben
to help with the water on the roof channels  I was going to  mastic plastic stripes in the channels between the  roof lights to help the water run off here.
Chris
with the roof being a flat grp board on most vans you get water laying on most roofs
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben001 Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm

glyne lock wrote:Ben
to help with the water on the roof channels  I was going to  mastic plastic stripes in the channels between the  roof lights to help the water run off here.
Chris
with the roof being a flat grp board on most vans you get water laying on most roofs
Thanks Chris,That sounds like a good scheme, this weather, the inside gets damp enough without my help. Have been following thread regarding most suitable form of heating to keep the damp at bay while van is not in use. No decision as yet!.
Ben001
Ben001

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:24 pm

glyne lock wrote:Ben
Chris
Hi Chris, this is exactly what I did last year when I fitted my rigid frame Solar Panel between the roof lights. I was aware water between the roof lights and under the SP would congregate in the 'closed off' channels. Therefore before I fitted the SP I thought it necessary to apply plastic strips to fill in the channels. The strips I used are intended as a facia for UPVC windows. They were a perfect fit for the channels on my van which allows water to run off and away from the SP and roof lights.

Please note the idea, which I copied, came from IanH on this forum when he explained [with photo's] how he fitted his semi-flex SP.

Also, when the van is in storage in the winter months I also raise the NS front wheel to allow increased water drainage from the roof.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next