The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tesco fuel

+8
Paulmold
bikeralw
PLOUGHLIN
crisp
Suppersready
rogerblack
groundhog
bristol170kj
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tesco fuel Empty Tesco fuel

Post by bristol170kj Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:06 pm

A couple of weeks ago we did a shop at our local Tesco - just over £60.  Paid and got a slip saying we could get £0.10 off a litre.  Only one problem, their petrol station is closed for serious renovation and will not be open until after the time limit on the slip.  The nearest Tesco petrol would make it uneconomical to fill there.  So had a word with Tesco management - not interested, it's a national wide campaign.  But why have they got notices all around the store advertising this special offer that we can't take advantage of.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Tesco fuel Empty Re: Tesco fuel

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

At least you've got one nearby... we haven't fedup
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Suggest you put this on their Twitter feed. 
I found they reacted straight away to a problem I was having where the local store weren't interested at all when I had spoken to them. As soon as I put the problem on Twitter, it was fed along the line and got resolved very promptly with apologies and action from the store manager via email, all copied up the regional management chain of course.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:45 am

rogerblack wrote:Suggest you put this on their Twitter feed. 
I found they reacted straight away to a problem I was having where the local store weren't interested at all when I had spoken to them. As soon as I put the problem on Twitter, it was fed along the line and got resolved very promptly with apologies and action from the store manager via email, all copied up the regional management chain of course.
Yes, that's a big problem these days.  Unless you participate on social media (I don't) then the world is on a different plane to the one your on :(
Maybe this OAP should come into the 21st century :)
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 am

bristol170kj wrote:
Yes, that's a big problem these days.  Unless you participate on social media (I don't) then the world is on a different plane to the one your on :(
Stick to the bristol freighter.... is that Silver City Airways in your avatar?

Back to fuel now....
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 am

groundhog wrote:
bristol170kj wrote:
Stick to the bristol freighter.... is that Silver City Airways in your avatar?

Back to fuel now....
Yes, Silver City at Lydd.  My Mum and Dad and I were off to Spain camping.  First time abroad at the age of about 11 or 12.  So that would make it 1961 or 1962.  My first flight!
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:49 pm

bristol170kj wrote:
Doesn't an online forum such as this one count as social media?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:20 am

I woud suggest you had spoken to a Duty manager not the store manager ..... I would be very surprised if the actual store manager behaved in that manner. We have a lot of very inexperienced Duty managers in the retail industry nowadays. I would also contact their H.O who I am confident will get the matter resolved.
Niall.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Had the same problems when Morrisons opened near us. Earned my money off coupon, but there is no petrol station within miles. Some perk!
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 pm

10p/l voucher if spend £60 at Tesco again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Fuel of a slightly different kind. A Greenhall Whitney pub in our local town that I frequent every month or so ran a real ale promotion that gave a stamp on a card for every pint bought, once the card had 5 stamps the 6th pint was free.
I only have one pint as I'm usually driving, so it took me four months to fill up my card. When I called on the fifth month I ordered a pint and produced my card to claim my free beer, only to be told my card was useless, the pub had been sold to another brewery two weeks previously..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm

bikeralw wrote:Fuel of a slightly different kind. A Greenhall Whitney pub in our local town that I frequent every month or so ran a real ale promotion that gave a stamp on a card for every pint bought, once the card had 5 stamps the 6th pint was free.
I only have one pint as I'm usually driving, so it took me four months to fill up my card. When I called on the fifth month I ordered a pint and produced my card to claim my free beer, only to be told my card was useless, the pub had been sold to another brewery two weeks previously..
Al.

Similar story regarding coffee shop loyalty card. I've at least a dozen of these cards from coffee shop chains and department stores but one I have is from Thornton's coffee shop in Bakewell. Went to a different Thornton's coffee shop only to be told I couldn't use the card as the Bakewell shop was a franchise and not owned by Thornton's. So the only place I can get it stamped is to return to Bakewell.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm

We got the 10p off voucher yesterday and will use it to fill up at a local Tesco as we’re on our travels. Just so happened we had a big shop to do and a £9 off if you spend over £60 voucher to use so it’s a “double dunt” saving. Don’t know if others watched “rip off Britain” this morning on the subject of differing prices at branches of the same supermarkets. Someone contacted the programme to suggest that supermarket petrol was cheaper because it was in some way inferior, the technical head of the RAC said that all petrol stations sell exactly the same fuel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Askit wrote: Someone contacted the programme to suggest that supermarket petrol was cheaper because it was in some way inferior, the technical head of the RAC said that all petrol stations sell exactly the same fuel.

There's a few members on here that you'll never convince.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Askit wrote: Someone contacted the programme to suggest that supermarket petrol was cheaper because it was in some way inferior, the technical head of the RAC said that all petrol stations sell exactly the same fuel.

There's a few members on here that you'll never convince.

I appreciate that. We sometimes get the meal deal from M&S (which used to be a reasonable £10) and I've seen folk buying their weekly shop there. I can only assume that for some, top prices equate to top quality.

Interestingly, the aforementioned "rip off" show compared some medicines and cold remedies from budget shops with those from the big companies. Sometimes the difference in price between cheapest and dearest was almost 10x the price despite the ingredients being exactly the same. We're happy to use Tesco fuel and meds from Home Bargains, Aldi, Lidl, etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am

Petrol stations do NOT all sell the same fuel.

In a recent arson case which caused deaths the forensics examination of the accelerant residue identified it as having come from a Texaco garage. This narrowed it down enough for the police to find two youths on CCTV buying fuel with a petrol can prior to the attack.

This would not have been resolved so quickly without that report. For it to be identified as a specific brand must mean it is different by a measurable amount.

However he would be right to refute the suggestion that supermarket fuel is inferior. All fuel has to comply with strict technical specifications for its performance as a fuel. A member of the family who was a tanker driver told me that the base fuel is the same in bulk storage but individual brand variations are mixed in during dispense to the tanker. Tesco can buy their fuel from whichever depot will give them the best wholesale price because they don't get the additive.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 am

HairyFool wrote:Petrol stations do NOT all sell the same fuel.

In a recent arson case which caused deaths the forensics examination of the accelerant residue identified it as having come from a Texaco garage. This narrowed it down enough for the police to find two youths on CCTV buying fuel with a petrol can prior to the attack.

This would not have been resolved so quickly without that report. For it to be identified as a specific brand must mean it is different by a measurable amount.

However he would be right to refute the suggestion that supermarket fuel is inferior. All fuel has to comply with strict technical specifications for its performance as a fuel. A member of the family who was a tanker driver told me that the base fuel is the same in bulk storage but individual brand variations are mixed in during dispense to the tanker. Tesco can buy their fuel from whichever depot will give them the best wholesale price because they don't get the additive.
That puts that one to bed. up!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Also some petrol stations are not calibrated that often, regularly  see them at the BP garage that we use,  my Husband had a word with them and they explained what  / how / why  they were doing it. we go there every week.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Dispensing fuel is governed by two regulations.

Weights and measures must check the calibration of the pumps at defined intervals for a site to be able to legally sell fuel. The pumps themselves must be able to maintain acceptable accuracy between tests or they cannot be used. Failure to ensure checks are carried out at the required intervals means the site license would be revoked.

HMRC are also interested because of the duty placed on fuel, if you don't get the right amount of fuel you haven't paid the right duty.

What has occurred to me is the users of the "special" fuels are being short changed. You pay for a litre of fuel and that includes the tax. If it has got these wonder additives in it then you haven't got a litre of fuel but slightly less biggrin
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Due to Government cut backs has that reduce the weights and measure checks?

Have only ever seen the checks being done at a BP service station. We go there ever week.

When did you last see pumps being checked?

When talking to the BP man he said when out and about he would only buy fuel from a BP station as they are regularly checked. 

So if short measured we are paying more tax.

We have proved that our 3 vehicles run, quieter smoother and  more MPG 

The law allows 3% tolerance.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:29 am

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 am

rogerblack wrote:
bristol170kj wrote:
Doesn't an online forum such as this one count as social media?
The Grumpy Old Men's Club is anti-social media by name! hugegrins

Last edited by crosgor on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 am

My nephew works part time at a Tesco fuel forecourt during the long holidays they have at uni. I asked him about weights & measures checks. He said it was done on a regular basis, they'd come unannounced in an unmarked vehicle, most customers were unaware it was taking place.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Always bought whatever suoermarket fuel was cheapest, no Tesco near so usually Asda. Kept reading the claim that buying expensive fuel was better, didn't believe it, so thought I would do a real World experiment.

Super plus diesel is around 5p a litre more expensive in our local garage but after three tanks full the average consumption on our diesel mercedes car has gone up from 32.8 mpg to 36.4mpg, normal use nothing different and Helga drives better as well. Overall actually spending less!!

Now converted and will be buying super diesel for the van as well.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:46 pm

groundhog wrote:Always bought whatever suoermarket fuel was cheapest, no Tesco near so usually Asda. Kept reading the claim that buying expensive fuel was better, didn't believe it, so thought I would do a real World experiment.

Super plus diesel is around 5p a litre more expensive in our local garage but after three tanks full the average consumption on our diesel mercedes car has gone up from 32.8 mpg to 36.4mpg, normal use nothing different and Helga drives better as well. Overall actually spending less!!

Now converted and will be buying super diesel for the van as well.
my back of a fag packet sum means you are about a penny a mile better off.
If your high mileage its a good saving. It may be your vehicle is running better after a fuel system clean.
maybe go back to 3 tank full of cheap and see if there is a change.

micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next