The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Try before you buy electric bikes

+11
Askit
Paramedic
harrysp
rgermain
Quilter
Eltel
Maasai Warrior
Gromit
peugeotboxer
boxerman
Paulmold
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 3 Empty Re: Try before you buy electric bikes

Post by Quilter Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Beware the uncorrected spell-checker. Mine once told my mystified family that we were going to see Beyoncé ( aka Bodensee) and, later the same holiday, that we had had a Punic War that day. Honestly, how many people are likely to want to write Punic War when they had a picnic ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 3 Empty Re: Try before you buy electric bikes

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Quilter wrote:Beware the uncorrected spell-checker. Mine once told my mystified family that we were going to see Beyoncé ( aka Bodensee) and, later the same holiday,  that we had had a Punic War that day. Honestly, how many people are likely to want to write Punic War when they had a picnic ?  
You never went on one with my mother in law!!  Whistle1 broomstick broomstick
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:37 pm

biggrin
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:04 pm

a
Maasai Warrior wrote:Try Rutland Cycles, Whitwell on the north side of Rutland Water. Our friends recommended them. We live in Sutton Coldfield and were a little unsure of buying so far away. However it was the best thing we did. My wife wanted an Ebike, to keep up with me! No it just makes our rides out much more enjoyable together and we can go further without me having to wait for her. Now it is a little more balanced especially since I got a better bike for myself. Now she waits for me! At Rutland Cycles they will take you out on a new Ebike of your choice, and there is no pressure, or you can hire for a day or half day to understand how to use an Ebike. We had lots of questions!  It was great fun trying out  a small section of the circular route around Rutland Water. In the end we purchased a Scott EBike for her and it is brilliant. Remember the summer season for bikes is coming to an end and the 2019 models will be trickling in from September onwards. So you may find the model you want is out of stock everywhere. However it is the best time for ‘sales’ of Ebikes and you could well pick up a bargain. Do a lot of research and find out if the model of Ebike you find in stock, say 100 miles away, can be still serviced by a dealer closer to you. Halfords is a good start, go for a battery as big as you can afford and check out the recommended makes. For example a good battery is a Bosch 500 watt hour. This will give you good distances for ECO, TOUR, SPORT and TURBO settings. My wife’s Ebike also has a setting for WALK, which means if the hills are too steep then walking and pushing the bike becomes much easier as Ebikes are heavy, 24 kgs including the battery in our case. We are loving our trips out, it must be the coffee and cake stops!

Hope this is helpful.

Pete
Pete, although not a Scott bike, mine has a Bosch drive system as you describe...I've had mine four years now and closing in on 12,000km....battery has probably lost only about 5% of rope end didtance in that time.
OH has had hers for six years and has probably done almost the same distance as me.
they're our prime transport when away in the van and we use them at home around five days a week, shunning the car whenever we can. we have two large panniers each and we happily shop with them.
OH looking for a newer, longer range bike, Bosch has now released the 2dn generation motor and is quieter and more powerful than the previous one.
she's also looking at Kalkhoff Impulse drive bikes, exceptional range over 200km on a charge.
however, these battery/motor combinations are not cheap, but are the best on the market of ypu use them like we do, as proper transport.
one thing which will assist with cost, anyone in work can buy a bike (incl ebikes) at a rak free rate, interest free and now now £1000 limit....the rise to work scheme has been updated.
so, a family member can get one for us retired folk and we can pay them back.
savings are either 42% or 32% depending on the tax rate of the purchaser.
we would not be without ours and are lucky to have a garage in our MH to walk them straight in so are kept out of sight of prying eyes...
good luck...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Chis, good to read about yours and your OH’s experience with Ebikes. Battery longevity with the Bosch sound encouraging. At the moment I am still with an ordinary hybrid but may in the near future switch over to an Ebike. My wife absolutely loves her Ebike and can’t wait to go out on it again! Your garage setup with your Carthago sounds ideal and I must admit, since we were last in touch, I have been looking on the internet at the c-compactline range! Very nice. Carrying and security is always a problem with an Ebike. I am impressed with your mileage’s and hope to achieve something similar ourselves as we like to park the van and then walk/cycle or use public transport.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Pete, drop a PM if I can help in any way....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 3 Empty Pedego Intercepter Ebike

Post by wyrdgirl Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 pm

hi i bought a Pedego Ebike last year and  someone whos over weight with mobility issues its heaven ro ride this, 

Try before you buy electric bikes - Page 3 36053110i recommend getting one i do have to say after trying several models the more money you spend the better the bike
wyrdgirl
wyrdgirl

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Legend GL
Vehicle Year : 1990

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3