The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underslung gasit

5 posters

Go down

Underslung gasit  Empty Underslung gasit

Post by Molly3 Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm

I have read that LPG can clog up pipes etc ,their are filters available for bottles ,is their a filter available for underslung tanks .has anyone had problems with clogged up pipe's or gas jet's.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Underslung gasit  Empty Re: Underslung gasit

Post by dbroada Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:01 pm

I've never heard of it clogging up pipes (prepared to be told I'm wrong) but the rubber pipework does deteriorate and should be inspected often and replaced if necessary.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Having typed that I have to say, it's quite possible that with an underslung tank you probably only have copper pipework!

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I suspect this could be a reference to the oil contamination that some users experienced with gas cylinders a few years ago. I've never heard a completely 100% certain explanation - some people (i.e. the gas supplers) blamed it on material leaching out of newly replaced flexi hoses, while others reckoned it was down to oil in the gas and/or refilling systems.

Whichever,  I doubt you have anything to worry about, as it will tend to flow to the lowest point in the system - with an underslung tank it would be unlikely to find its way into any of the appliances.

My van suffered from it maybe 10 years ago or more and it ended up filling the regulator with oil and stopping the gas flow - but I don't think that could happen with an underslung tank.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Inclined to agree with mojo about the old contamination issues 

Any decent regulator should have filter on the inlet stem and this should stop any possible foreign matter entering the pipe work

What may have happened is the regulator could have failed and blocked the pipe work or a new type slam shut unit failed to reset after being activated
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Yes, what they said.

For anyone seriously concerned, Cavagna regulators are reputed not to clog up at all, and are cheaper than most - only about £20. When we used Calor bottles we did have a clogged Truma (I think) regulator, and swapped it for a Cavagna. That never clogged for three years, after which we changed the van.

I wouldn't bother though. It won't happen with an underslung tank, as the others said.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down