The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gray water gauge

+6
Paulmold
Maasai Warrior
PLOUGHLIN
JandL
bikeralw
Molly3
10 posters

Go down

Gray water gauge  Empty Gray water gauge

Post by Molly3 Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:08 pm

2014. Nuevo ek .My gray water gauge reads empty or full .should it read 0/0. 1/4 .1/2 . 3/4 . 4/4 like water gauge .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Gray water gauge  Empty Re: Gray water gauge

Post by bikeralw Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:08 pm

As has been mentioned here often by those who have such a gauge, they're the most unreliable of things, being affected by all sorts of crud in the tank. It can be sorted, but soon starts to give false readings again. I have no such gauge on my van, I just know with our use it will last about two days before it needs emptying, but I try to empty it daily, and always drive with it empty.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by JandL Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm

My van has no gauge, just judge it by my drinking mantra - "what goes in must come out" Try to empty if frequently, i.e. daily and as bikeralw always drive with it empty.

Same with loo - has a gauge, does not work.
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:27 pm

My Gloucester only has 0/100 for waste. 0/25/50/75/100 for fresh.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 pm

My waste water gauge has always played up, it turns red as soon as look at it! There is nothing permanent that you can do about it. I now just ignore it. However we have never once had a problem with the fresh water gauge, always accurate!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:10 am

some manufacturers seem able to provide accurate tank guages.
both my vans have been as good as new...
you certainly don't need to empty a waste tank every day, just dump the contents at the MHSP on the way out...
if not using the van shower, our waste tank lasts 10-15 days and around 5-6 if showering...
if the tank is properly designed, no reason to consider it necessary to  empty it 'just because your driving'...
we often drive with over 100 ltrs in the fresh tank....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 am

To pick up on a few points there, my tank, at about 70 litres must be much smaller than yours, and although we can stretch to 3 days if using the shower, I still like to empty it on a regular basis to stop smells developing, which can happen quickly in weather such as we're having at the moment.
We never stay anywhere more than 2 days, so always empty it before hitting the road.
I don't carry waste water around simply because it's added weight that is serving no purpose. Fresh water on the other hand is an entirely different thing, I always drive with a full tank, as the next stop may be miles from a supply.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:31 am

How big is Chris's waste tank? Sounds more like an RV -15 days!
We all know Chris likes to have a pop at AS but we can only work with what we have. My fresh tank is 69litres and waste tank only 40litres . My control panel simply has an LED and alarm to warn if full waste tank. Never has it lit or sounded because I empty every day. I tend to stay on site for at least a couple of days so use a container rather than drive round to the service point. I also use a lot of THS's that don't have the luxury of service points.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm

In warm weather ours will be smelly after a couple of days, so we empty regularly and I doubt we've  ever had a full tank i  20 years let alone driven round with it.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 pm

0/100 is the standard for modern AS vans. The Sargent has provision for 50% but it is not implemented even though the wiring is there.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Paulmold wrote:How big is Chris's waste tank? Sounds more like an RV -15 days!
We all know Chris likes to have a pop at AS but we can only work with what we have. My fresh tank is 69litres and waste tank only 40litres . My control panel simply has an LED and alarm to warn if full waste tank. Never has it lit or sounded because I empty every day. I tend to stay on site for at least a couple of days so use a container rather than drive round to the service point. I also use a lot of THS's that don't have the luxury of service points.
Paul,not having a pop at AS, my Swifts were pretty hopeless, too...
my point was that it doesn't have to be like this, our system on both our Carthagos have been excellent, surely it can't cost much more to use a system that works over one that doesn't.
our waste tank is just over 100 ltrs and if not using the shower, even 15 days is only 7ltr a day...if you chuck your washing up water in the hedge, this is easily doable.....we don't use much for hand washing and teeth cleaning...the 120 ltr fresh tank 8 ltr a day...that's 14 pints of water just to wash up and clean teeth with, can it be that extraordinary?
OTOH, I know folk who have a 79ltr tank and have to fill up every other day.....40 ltr a day.....
no right or wrong way but it's interesting how different folk treat resources like water and electricity...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for replying looks like 0/100 is correct
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for raising this thread, Molly3.  I was puzzled by your reference to a gauge for waste water. So I checked my 2015 Nuevo - and was mighty surprised to find that indeed there is one!

I must have scrolled down the Sargent panel via that gauge many times, but its presence hadn't implanted itself in my memory. And I'm sure that's because I discount that gauge entirely: I always try to empty the grey tank every 2 / 3 days. Obviously, if the shower has been used, the frequency of emptying is higher. But to allow the grey water tank to fill up is to invite unpleasantness - as with the WC.

Now the fresh water tank gauge is much more important (albeit unreliable).

As has been said elsewhere, you soon develop a feel for the state of the 4 tanks (fresh water, grey water, WC cistern and WC cassette), and I find that filling / emptying often and at all convenient (no pun) opportunities involves least bother.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by JandL Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Have to agree with Cymro, better to develop a feel rather than a nose for these things. smile! You will soon get the hang of it.
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:31 am

I raised this question with AS when our 2017 Nuevo EK was in for habitation service and was told the waste tank has a float gauge which only indicates when the tank is full: definitely no intermediate levels.
NPH
NPH

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down