The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European breakdown

+6
Bobskate
daisy mae
Peter Brown
Quilter
Gromit
paul long
10 posters

Go down

European breakdown  Empty European breakdown

Post by paul long Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am

Morning all, I'm looking for breakdown cover  European single trip 12 days. Need cover for motorhome & scooter, and if possible to put both on same cover. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Paul .
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

European breakdown  Empty Re: European breakdown

Post by Gromit Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 am

Who is the current insurer for your van?

If European cover is not included, and it may well be, I would think they are your obvious first call.

Otherwise Adrian Flux is one of the most accommodating, and they have a presence on here now so you have an immediate contact.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat May 12, 2018 12:29 pm

We go with Red Pennant( Caravan Club) and have had to call on their services several times, both in UK and Europe for everything from punctures to immobiliser lock-ups to alarm problems.

They have always been superb: prompt to get help to us, fluent language speakers to deal with garages, constant reassurance and help with any delays or cancellations as a result of breakdowns and generally extremely efficient and professional. I can’t praise them highly enough.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Quilter wrote:We go with Red Pennant( Caravan Club) and have had to call on their services several times, both in UK and Europe for everything from punctures to immobiliser lock-ups to alarm problems.

They have always been superb: prompt to get help to us, fluent language speakers to deal with garages, constant reassurance and help with any delays or cancellations as a result of breakdowns and generally extremely efficient and professional. I can’t praise them highly enough.

Yes I had to call on Red Pennant in 2016 and 2017, I also can't praise them enough.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat May 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Quilter and Peter

Does that indicate that your motorhome insurance is with Red Pennant, and that Euro breakdown is included?

If so, how do the premiums compare please? I think we may need to change when our renewal comes along.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Red Pennant is a separate single or multitrip travel and/or recovery insurance. It is very comprehensive and will provide the facilities for you to carry on with your planned trip even if you have an unrepairable breakdown on the first day, it will also send a driver to bring you home if you become unable to do it yourself.

For the last two years, I have been reimbursed labour costs greatly in excess of the premium paid but would be very happy not to have to call them again this year.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat May 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I have the RAC,have used them a few times over the years, three times in France, cannot praise them enough, even had a part flown out from Germany to France and arranged fitting , another time paid for hotel and breakfast as car had broken down , Volvo estate and were towing a caravan, arranged hotel and transport to get there. and back to garage .caravan also left at garage,  The other time had a brand new Merc to use while car was being being fixed. didn`t pay anything until back in UK and that was just for the parts. nothing else, so I stay with them, as don`t know how good they are until you come to need them, same reason as now they will come if stuck in a field.

allthumbz allthumbz

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat May 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks Peter.

At present we have Euro breakdown cover with Comfort. Don't know how good they would be as fortunately, we have never needed them.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sat May 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Slightly off topic but I have just had my renewal through from AA. Having heard stories of massive increases at the time of renewal, following the expiry of special introductory deals, I was braced for some haggling. However the increase was £2.00! I just paid up! Well pleased.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Sun May 13, 2018 10:02 am

And remember there has been another increase in Insurance Premium Tax; up another 2% I believe.
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 am

We use Red Pennant for both Health and Breakdown insurance. Haven't used for Breakdown but have for Health and they were brilliant. Broken ankle in Denmark. Getting it treated and plated etc taken care of by Danish NHS but RP arranged transport, including flights (4 seats on the plane so I could put my leg up), to get us both home. Also sent somebody out to bring the van home as I couldn't travel in the van and needed wife at home to look after me so needed somebody else to fetch the van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 am

We use the nationwide account cover that does include vans within the EU.We have not needed to find out how good it is though.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2018 4:06 pm

jennyandpeter wrote:We use the nationwide account cover that does include vans within the EU.We have not needed to find out how good it is though.
We have the same with the Nationwide FlexPlus account(£13 per month), used it once in the UK and all fine, not needed abroad yet but I assume the service will be as per UK.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 pm

I buy annually RAC cover, for £125 via Lexus. It covers me and my wife, in whatever vehicles we are, wherever in Europe we are. Thus it covers our 2 cars and the Nuevo. I have in past years checked that the Nuevo is indeed covered and they have confirmed that.

Fortunately, I've never had to put them to the test, save once when the Clubman wouldn't start (having started normally the day before). The van was loaded with all our daughter's worldy goods for her home for the next year, and I had to drive to be at Immingham in time for her to catch the ship to the Antarctic. RAC were great - a failed relay replaced, and we made it!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down