The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrade to a Stanton

+4
Aldercow
Anthony Salamone
Dare-devil-dennis
glynick
8 posters

Go down

Upgrade to a Stanton Empty Upgrade to a Stanton

Post by glynick Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 am

Hi, About to upgrade from a Sussex Duo 12 plate to a 66 plate Stanton and would be most grateful for any tips or advice from owners who have already found out the hard way. I have had the Sussex for about four years and been very happy with it but now need more space and an auto box. Anybody needing some help with a Sussex, l would be happy to let you know what I have found. TIA
glynick
glynick

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to a Stanton Empty Re: Upgrade to a Stanton

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Good move.

Downsized from a 7.5M Swift to a new Stanton in Nov last year.

WE LOVE IT!.

I cannot be at all negative about it. I have made some changes myself, including fitting a bike rack (dealer), remote operated Grey water dump valve for convenience, moving the Sargent EC500 control unit from under the bed to give me more storage (not for the faint hearted), and added a second, identical leisure battery under the passenger seat.

Apart from the bike rack and extra leisure battery, I did all this because I am a tinkerer, but notwithstanding, the Stanton is perfect for us without any of this.

Good luck and best wishes

Dennis

BTW, I love the gearbox, silky smooth.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by glynick Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement and yes I too think it's the way forward. Good luck
glynick
glynick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Salamone Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 am

Hi i was a bit disappointed with my new Stanton...Learning the hard way is right..To start with had to upgrade to 3500 cost 200 !!..lots of bumps and rolls so fitted E P  full air suspension cost 4000..I did not think no spare wheel so fitted rack with spare wheel 500..HOWEVER Mercedes auto we love our motorhome..After all  the upgrades T V self seek arial Hydraulic jacks 5000 I guess if i had the money at the time HYMER A class with fixed bed heaven...Ive met many people the have bought many vans I'm sticking with the love of my life..Sundays is polishing day use it every day its the right size to pop off to anywhere....... Hope this helps Tony up!
Anthony Salamone

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to a Stanton Empty Two years with a Stanton

Post by Aldercow Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 am

We usually have seven weeks away in our van each year as we’re still working. So over two years we have enjoyed our Stanton & here are some pros & cons.
Pros: Lovely powerful Merc engine, lovely smooth auto gearbox both making it a good drive. Soft ride on today’s potholed roads which I prefer to the hard harsh ride of the Peugeot/ Fiat chassis. Single beds using cab seats for feet are comfy & work well. 

Cons: No spare wheel - had to make a spare wheel carrier & fit. Handling is wallowing so you may find yourself constantly correcting the steering - another person describing it as handling like a gallion on the sea. Rear suspension looks saggy with wheels well up in arches. Be careful with waste & fresh tank drain pipe work as it’s all push fit & fell apart when not used with care (same type of push fit pipe work fell apart under the sink in my previous Warwick flooding cupboard below). In winter heater outlets at base of wardrobe blow hot air in fridge when opening fridge door. Speaker grills in rear fall off as bluetak type fixing putty won’t hold grills on if speakers fitted pointing down. 

I’m worried about my second habitation check next week as it looks like I might have a damp problem on the wall between the fridge & rear door near the step (wall board is going discoloured). I had another well known UK make coachbuilt in 2013 - at first habitation check it was reported as riddled with damp.
Thinking of going back to a panel van conversion like a Warwick Duo or XL as you don’t seem to have the damp problems with panel vans.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Stanton

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to a Stanton Empty Upgrade to Stanton

Post by glynick Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:24 am

Thanks for the comments, will keep an eye on the damp .
Nick
glynick
glynick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm

I know it is an inconvenience but if damp is found isn't it covered under the warranty and A/S seem to get good reports if there is a claim
 Anyway it cannot be as bad as one I bought in 2008 new at the NEC  a Bessacar/Swift  first Hab check it had 80% damp in the upper section and the dealers Brownhills had gone into liquidation for a few days and set up again so had no legal comeback on the new company, it took a solicitors involvement for Swift to agree to collect the van and take it back to Grimsby (and nearly 5 months) they had to replace all the upper cupboards and boarding, I sold it the minute I got it back.
Must admit would love a Stanton but the boss is not sure, likes her PVC.
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by glynick Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am

Hi, The unit we will be buying has had one prior owner from 2016 and l seem to recall that the damp guarantee from AS is only applicable to the first owners. Can l be wrong on this ? I certainly hope so. Again any advise would be most appreciated.
Nick.
glynick
glynick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

This does appear that it is but will cost you £100 and you have to be quick

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by glynick Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks David, the wife is now on the case. Should be able to activate the handover just in time.
glynick
glynick

Male

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to a Stanton Empty Stanton upgrade

Post by Rogerjames Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:28 am

Hi 
We've bought a Stanton as a replacement for a VW California,we're very pleased with the comfort and space inside our new van.
The automatic box and 163 bhp engine make it a pleasant drive but not as good as the California.
However, this was expected as they are very different vehicles.
We've been to Yorkshire and Cumbria as well as the Kent coast, also a couple of days out.
All things considered the Stanton would seem to be a good choice.
Rogerjames
Rogerjames

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:40 am

The only thing we REALLY hate about the Stanton is the dreadful Hartal door (see other threads) I think I have finally cracked that one but...  Whistle1 

We had an issue with the swing-wall in the bathroom dropping (see other threads) and I sorted that too.

The wardrobe light has been a minor irritation (see other threads) but I have a cunning plan.

Right from the start I had a major fight with the supplying dealer who didn't order the 3.5 tonne Mercedes chassis that I specified; A-S were buying Euro-spec chassis on the cheap at the time and fooled the dealer, who didn't understand the tech-spec I asked for and then didn't do much about it. In the end we did a three-way split on the cost of a chassis re-plate and semi-air suspension on the rear. 

No spare wheel- utterly wrong for the sort of touring we do, so I made a carrier (see separate thread).

Would I buy another? The very recent new Sprinter can be supplied with FWD and a low chassis; I would be looking at a panel-van conversion on the MWB chassis; this would allow us to get up even narrower roads that we have squeezed thro, but unlike the SWB rear-drive Stanton is will not turn like a taxi; which (thanks to my navigator) has been very useful over the last 30k miles!

Buy it! up!

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 am

You will love the mercedes chassis and auto box so I agree I would buy a secondhand one.

Buying any NEW sprinter based van must be questionable at the moment with the launch of the new 2019 model very shortly. Updated interior and infotainment system as in E class, sleeker look so must be worth waiting for?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down