The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a larger solar panel

3 posters

Go down

Fitting a larger solar panel Empty Fitting a larger solar panel

Post by Molly3 Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm

My newly acquired 2014 nuevo has only a 30 w solar panel I would like to upgrade to 120 w, can I remove the 30 w and replace with a 120 w and use the cable's from the 30 w panel  ? Bazz
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Fitting a larger solar panel Empty Re: Fitting a larger solar panel

Post by -mojo- Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm fairly sure there are a few existing threads in which people have done what you intend, and the subject of the cable has also been discussed.

Although I don't know what size cable A/S use for a 30W panel, you can be near enough certain it will serve Ok for a 120W panel. It may not give quite as good performance as pulling through, say, a 4mm2 cable to replace it, but you ~probably~ won't notice a significant difference if you just leave the old one there.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Fitting a larger solar panel Empty Re: Fitting a larger solar panel

Post by spanner Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 pm

I’ve just replaced our 80 watt panel with a 160 watt panel, as Sargent supply the kit to Autosleeper you may have the same wiring as on ours.
Under the factory fitted panel there are 2 mc4 connectors plugged into a Y fitting that converts to a single round flexible 2 core cable that passes through the roof gland and inside, this cable is connected with 2 standard spade connectors to one black and one red cable that plug in to the solar charge controller or the EC500 if fitted.

With a 120 watt panel you will probably be able to simply connect the new panel to the existing mc4 connectors without any change to the original wiring, very convenient  !

A phone call to Sargent technical will confirm if the existing cable size is adequate for the 120watt panel.
In our case I only ran a new pair of 4mm cables from the spade connectors just inside the van.

Good luck

Chris
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down