The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway EK Cab Blinds

+7
daisy mae
rose49f
willy eckerslike
Askit
Cymro
SSlleepy
Rubi's Dad
11 posters

Go down

Broadway EK Cab Blinds Empty Broadway EK Cab Blinds

Post by Rubi's Dad Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Evening All

I have just traded my 2009 Nuevo for a 2014 Broadway EK (so excited!) it has all the kit I wanted except the cab blinds. I have been looking at Remis and Seitz blinds online and I am seeing prices for the full cab at £500+ , which was a shock.

Really grateful for any ideas how to source cheaper.

Thanks
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Broadway EK Cab Blinds Empty Re: Broadway EK Cab Blinds

Post by SSlleepy Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:34 am

How about just using a set of Silver Screens and not having blinds?
SSlleepy
SSlleepy

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 pm

The Remis blinds factory-fitted to my 2015 Nuevo are indeed convenient, and are adequate in the summer. However, in other seasons (such as now) they do not prevent condensation on the inside of the windscreen. It's necessary to use (exterior) silver screens. (Interior silvers can't be fitted because of the rails etc for the concertina blinds; in any event, exterior silvers are far superior insofar as prevention of condensation is concerned - but not as convenient as interiors when it's raining!)

Personally I'd forget fitting the conertina blinds, but buy a set of external Tailormade or SilverScreens. I have the Tailormade, and find them very good.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Cymro wrote:The Remis blinds factory-fitted to my 2015 Nuevo are indeed convenient, and are adequate in the summer. However, in other seasons (such as now) they do not prevent condensation on the inside of the windscreen. It's necessary to use (exterior) silver screens. (Interior silvers can't be fitted because of the rails etc for the concertina blinds; in any event, exterior silvers are far superior insofar as prevention of condensation is concerned - but not as convenient as interiors when it's raining!)

Personally I'd forget fitting the conertina blinds, but buy a set of external Tailormade or SilverScreens. I have the Tailormade, and find them very good.

That sounds about right, the blinds are very convenient but do little to mitigate condensation. I have seen quite a few folk using the internal, quilted, screens but I doubt they would be any better.  So far we have just tolerated the condensation by mopping up in the morning, the idea of getting Silverscreens (or the Tailormade equivalent) is appealing, but for the old question storage.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by SSlleepy Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:19 pm

I stand mine in the shower as If we are just stopping for tea we dont need the shower and if we are stopping over night they are fitted. up!
SSlleepy
SSlleepy

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Our Silverscreens go in the outside locker under the bed. I can vouch for their effectiveness for cutting out light and keeping down condensation up! Not exactly cheap but good value.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Silver Screens. No condensation in the morning. And wet or dry store them in the loo. Wouldn't be without mine. And they could be cheap if they are bought second hand on ebay. (like mine)
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:02 am

My Silver Screens one of my better buys, fit into it`s own waterproof bag, supplied with the screens, and goes  in the luton. when not on screen.no condensation, keeps van cool in hot weather, if left on in day time, warmer in cool weather, no frost on windscreen if camping in the winter.

On mine the front section rolls down to let in daylight, so no need to take screens off when parked up.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:37 am

Another vote for Silver Screens! They only take a couple of minutes to put up and provide a very effective 'curtain' across the whole of the front of the van. As already noted, they have great heat insulation/reflection properties and no condensation! Those and Duvalay toppers are our 'best accessories'!
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:29 am

Yes, but  think_smiley_46

Our big white cupboard, sorry shower, already has it's space spoken for when we're parked up and we like to be able to see out of the windows until it gets dark. I suppose they could live in the foot well, if they are small enough, but until I get the dimentions of them folded, I'll never know. 

Neither of the aforementioned companies have this info on their web pages (although it appears Scotland is excluded from Silverscreens return policy  Whistle1snigger)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:32 am

My shower is clear, not used for storage, still see daylight when front panel is down on the screens, , haven`t you got a cupboard over your cab, ? if not when travelling could go on the floor between the hab seats, they are light weight and don`t take up a lot of room.

Just trying to help, there is a solution to everything eventually.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:48 am

Askit: just been out to check ours - Taylormade (can't recall model type - it has the openable panel covering most of the front screen which can be folded down during the day to let in light.)

It comes in a good sturdy bag which measures 36" x 18" x 3" (less if contents are squashed). Easily fits through outside locker door to under-bed cupboard, and can be popped under the steering wheel when on-site if necessary.

I see that Taylormade have improved their website, with the next generation of Taylors having succeded their parents.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks both (with apologies to Rubi's Dad for hijacking the thread). 

Daisy mae, we don't have the over cab cupboard but we do have some locker space free so we could probably re-jig things up!   

Cymro, that was very kind of you.  Knowing the dimensions will be a big help when I try to convince SWMBO of the benefits of thermal screens. I can feel a special request to Santa coming on snigger  The stored size seems rather an odd omission from both web sites.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubi's Dad Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks all for your replies. The jury is out on the blinds for now, but for info the best price I found was £475 at Magnum Motorhomes. As for silver screens I am embarrassed to say that I have a set which came with the Nuevo, I took them out of the bag to try them on, they did look good but they were such a faff to get them back in the bag I have never bothered with them. It appears I have been missing a trick, so will give them a go on the new Broadway and get a new, bigger bag for them ! smile!
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Rubi`s Dad

If they are the genuine Silver Screens, when I take mine off the van, I can still see  faint fold lines and I follow them and then they just drop in the bag, cannot say for any other make. there is plenty of room as not a tight fit.

Will the Nuevo ones fit your Broadway? as they are model specific.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubi's Dad Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I do hope so as they are both Boxer cabs. If not old one wil get sold for a new one smile!
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Rubi's Dad wrote:Thanks all for your replies. The jury is out on the blinds for now, but for info the best price I found was £475 at Magnum Motorhomes.
Curtains are a lot cheaper, and just as convenient on balance. It's only fairly recently that A/S (and others) started routinely fitting the Remis concertina blinds.

The external Silverscreens or Taylormades are the only way to prevent condensation in the winter, other than sleeping with all the windows wide open and the heating off!! Can't bend the laws of physics!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Gromit wrote:
The external Silverscreens or Taylormades are the only way to prevent condensation in the winter, other than sleeping with all the windows wide open and the heating off!! Can't bend the laws of physics!  shrugg
An equally important factor during winter months is the heat loss due to the cab windows being single glass. The cold that arises from the front of the van would make it uncomfortable if not for an external silver screen of some sort. Even when you try to isolate the draft with an arrangement of full length curtains, the cold can still drive through any tiny gap due to the cab not being air tight. Furthermore if you try to isolate the cab from the habitation area, it in turn becomes a refrigerator. Just feel how cold the upholstery can get 'up the front' when it's freezing outside.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:14 am

Paramedic wrote:
Gromit wrote:

An equally important factor during winter months is the heat loss due to the cab windows being single glass.
Yes indeed. Thanks Paramedic, I was thinking only of privacy and forgot to mention the heat loss.  up!

It's surprising how much difference an external screen cover makes to your comfort during cold weather. Without it the cab end can be uncomfortably cold, but as soon as the cover goes on there's an added three or four feet of comfy living space.

That's also the reason some van conversions are not very good in the winter. If they have a number of single glazed windows (and possibly not much insulation under the panelling) they can't be very cosy without the heater going full blast.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubi's Dad Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Ok so the great news is my silver screens do fit the new van and they have the drop down centre panel so will be giving them a go. 

On a connected point the curtains in my new Broadway are no were near has think as the old Nuevo ones, they let sunlight in and you can tell the internal lights are on from outside even though they are lined. The Nuevo ones were pretty much blackout quality.
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Yes, I recall the thicker curtain material on our 08 Nuevo also the walls in the habitation area were adorned with same that made it very cosy. This was one aspect that was a deciding factor along with others in the purchase of this van. I do recall the fabric on the inside of the habitation door had faded compared to the other surfaces due to long exposure to direct sunlight. Perhaps a note of caution not to leave the door open unless shaded by the awning?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:39 pm

I have had both Taylormade and Silver Screens for our Stanton (ordered Taylor-made in error, it's something to do with the name oh_blast! ).
The S-S is a far better product, easier to fit and remove, does not self-inflate with air and become really bulky, does not lift in the wind (the front section of the Taylor one actually tore itself free from the velcro in a really bad blow).

We have used the fitted internal screens a couple of times when in hot, dry places and once, when it was absolutely sluicing it down. This led to huge amount of condensation, so will not do that again!

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubi's Dad Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Going to have a go at adding blackout linings to the cab curtains, which should keep the light out/ in.
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Good luck with that and hope curtains don't become too bulky so as not able to fold them back neatly and clip in place. Please let us know how you get on.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubi's Dad Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok so it has been a while but the blackout linings have been fitted and work a treat, the material was £20 off the roll at Dunelm and my daughter did them on her sewing machine. They do not let light in or out and still tie back neatly. Sorted
Rubi's Dad
Rubi's Dad

Male

Back to top Go down