The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

britstop

+9
Jaytee
bikeralw
m8form8
dbroada
burlingtonboaby
NORGIL
boxerman
Gromit
romperstomper
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

britstop Empty britstop

Post by romperstomper Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:57 am

hi all just been reading up on britstops seem,s very intresting
has any-one used them and what do you think of them thank,s
                        up!
romperstomper
romperstomper

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

britstop Empty Re: britstop

Post by Gromit Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:38 am

Very good, specially if you want to book ahead as the book gives you quite a lot of information.

Superb value too, when you think about it. You can have a pub supper for two (for around £30 I guess) plus a free night in their car park. A campsite would have cost at least £20 (probably more) and you couldn't have had that extra pint because you would have to drive back to the site. (In effect, you get a meal for a fiver each!  allthumbz )

Plus there's no preparation or washing up allthumbz  allthumbz, and it's far safer than wild camping somewhere.

There's no compulsion to spend money in the pub, but I would hope nobody would be that brazen and mean. It has happened, and several pubs have withdrawn from the scheme as a result. Can't say I blame them - why should any freeloader expect to roll up and stay on their car park for absolutely nothing!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:08 am

Gromit wrote: and it's far safer than wild camping somewhere.

I would be very interested to know how many of our members [not including the man you met in the pub, or your uncle's cousins brother's mate] have actually been attacked, robbed or threatened in any way while wild camping in the UK.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 am

I suspect it is mostly a perception of danger. My wife feels uneasy and is not comfortable spending the night other than on a site. I am hoping she feels ok on Aires when we set off for France in a couple of weeks time. If anyone has a suggestion of a ' nice ' aire about an hours drive to the West of Calais that might help me to convince her.

Don't want to hijack the Britstops thread though, I think they offer a great alternative to a site for a couple of nights and bridge the gap between ' wild ' and site nicely.

Norman
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 am

NORGIL wrote:Don't want to hijack the Britstops thread though, I think they offer a great alternative to a site for a couple of nights and bridge the gap between ' wild ' and site nicely.

Norman

I agree about Britstops, as for hijacking the thread, if the OP would read through the many threads about Britstops which are already on the forum he would more than likely have had his question answered before he asked it. If not, would it not have been pertinent to pose his question on an existing Britsops thread rather than starting a new one and therefore complicating matters?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:31 am

Wild camped around the shores and lochs of Scotland in are younger days without any hassle (only one problem on Loch Lomond some years back)
Couldn't be tempted know as we like our comfort to much, might try some Britstops next year . 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:42 am

NORGIL wrote:I suspect it is mostly a perception of danger. My wife feels uneasy and is not comfortable spending the night other than on a site.
Heather is the same. We once stayed on a lonely farm in Sussex and was spooked by motor bikes at night and nothing will convince her to try anything like it again. However, she is quite happy spending the night in a pub car park. content  We haven't actually used Britstops yet but we did try a web based similar scheme last year which worked well.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:56 am

boxerman wrote:
Gromit wrote: and it's far safer than wild camping somewhere.

I would be very interested to know how many of our members [not including the man you met in the pub, or your uncle's cousins brother's mate] have actually been attacked, robbed or threatened in any way while wild camping in the UK.

Frank
Since you ask Frank, we once felt threatened by yobs in cars screaming past our van for 10 minutes or so, blowing their horns as we tried to sleep in a huge lay bye created by road straightening.

Nothing actually happened but it was very disconcerting. Nor has it put us off at all, since we realise it was an isolated incident that could happen anywhere when the idiot youth are bored and looking for mischief.

Britstops is far more about good value for money, but surely it was worth mentioning the safety factor for those who are less confident than others??

Back on topic now - for the sake of the OP!! A separate thread to investigate your question might be interesting.  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Gromit wrote:

Back on topic now - for the sake of the OP!!
Perhaps the OP should take note of to my reply to Norgil ?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

britstop Empty asking about britstops

Post by romperstomper Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

boxerman wrote:
NORGIL wrote:Don't want to hijack the Britstops thread though, I think they offer a great alternative to a site for a couple of nights and bridge the gap between ' wild ' and site nicely.

Norman

I agree about Britstops, as for hijacking the thread, if the OP would read through the many threads about Britstops which are already on the forum he would more than likely have had his question answered before he asked it. If not, would it not have been pertinent to pose his question on an existing Britsops thread rather than starting a new one and therefore complicating matte
romperstomper
romperstomper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:25 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Wild camped around the shores and lochs of Scotland in are younger days without any hassle (only one problem on Loch Lomond some years back)
Couldn't be tempted know as we like our comfort to much, might try some Britstops next year . 
Boaby
Ordered up 2017 Britstops book this afternoon and looking forwarded to visiting some of the locations, hope some of the pubs sell San Miguel on tap    cheerz!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm

I expect youll find the odd one with your taste in drinks Boaby, I always like to try local ciders myself and had a lovely one at Britstop***** last night, were still using last years guide at the moment. Will order the new one once were home again. hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 am

m8form8 wrote:I expect youll find the odd one with your taste in drinks Boaby, I always like to try local ciders myself and had a lovely one at Britstop***** last night, were still using last years guide at the moment. Will order the new one once were home again. hugegrins
Sampled some local cider in Glastonbury last May M8,(not the festival) used to like Taunton Gold when I was in Watchet as a young Pongo    up!

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am

Sampled some local cider in Glastonbury last May M8,(not the festival) used to like Taunton Gold when I was in Watchet as a young Pongo    up!

Boaby
I used to live in Watchet 30 years ago and drank Taunton Gold in those days too. Shame the local britstop is a bit far from the pubs there these days.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 am

Ordered a copy last night. I cancelled my subscription to the C&CC in January, in my opinion they've priced themselves out of the market regarding sites, and such is my interest in their magazine that it's ended up in my recycling bin unopened for months now.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm

m8form8 wrote:

Boaby
I used to live in Watchet 30 years ago and drank Taunton Gold in those days too. Shame the local britstop is a bit far from the pubs there these days.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
Trying to think of the name of an old pub which had large barrels and plank as the bar and saw dust on the floor   scratch head  They sold green Scrumpy from the barrell for ten old pence with a penny top,of lemonade, natural dry was the clear stuff and slightly sweetened .
Ten bob old money on a Tuesday was enough to buy 4 ciders and a fish supper, happy daze. cheers! 
1967/8 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:08 pm

allthumbz Long while ago now then Boaby  drinksallround drinksallround drinksallround
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:47 am

m8form8 wrote:allthumbz Long while ago now then Boaby  drinksallround drinksallround drinksallround

Yep up! another pub was the Star, near the sea front scratch head.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 am

Just back from a quick visit to Kendal and a night stop at a Britstop with the normal friendly welcome. 2017 book on the mat when we got back. Much bigger with a lot more stops this year. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 am

Jaytee wrote:Just back from a quick visit to Kendal and a night stop at a Britstop with the normal friendly welcome. 2017 book on the mat when we got back. Much bigger with a lot more stops this year. up!
Had a brew and scones ready for you yesterday ,big man, really nice morning up on the Brigg ,our Brit stops hasn't hit the mat yet  shrugg
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:
Jaytee wrote:Just back from a quick visit to Kendal and a night stop at a Britstop with the normal friendly welcome. 2017 book on the mat when we got back. Much bigger with a lot more stops this year. up!
Had a brew and scones ready for you yesterday ,big man, really nice morning up on the Brigg ,our Brit stops hasn't hit the mat yet  shrugg
Boaby

Now you tell me think_smiley_46 hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Thought you had your ding a ling afternoon at the kirk JT? Hope you had a nice time over at the lakes.
Britstops hit the carpet at lunchtime ,hurray. thanks
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

britstop Empty reply

Post by romperstomper Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 pm

boxerman wrote:

Norman

I agree about Britstops, as for hijacking the thread, if the OP would read through the many threads about Britstops which are already on the forum he would more than likely have had his question answered before he asked it. If not, would it not have been pertinent to pose his question on an existing Britsops thread rather than starting a new one and therefore complicating matters?

Frank
i love some one that knows everything he never has to ask a question hugegrins
romperstomper
romperstomper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Seen a couple of Britstops on the north east coast of Scotland that will come in handy later in the year .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:24 pm

romperstomper wrote:
boxerman wrote:

Norman

Frank
i love some one that knows everything he never has to ask a question hugegrins

I posted that on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 am it is now 23rd Feb 2017. if you want to make sarcastic comments, please do so in a timely manner - or perhaps you are a slow reader?

IF you read my post, you would realise that I was not saying that the OP should not ask questions, I was saying that "if the OP would read through the many threads about Britstops which are already on the forum he would more than likely have had his question answered before he asked it."

Time and time again, people ask questions which have already been answered on the forum, but are too lazy to search for the answers.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: