The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a rear view camera

3 posters

Go down

Fitting a rear view camera Empty Fitting a rear view camera

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:41 pm

After reading several of topics on rear view cameras on this forum, I have been testing one bought off eBay which seems to work reasonably well. I am going to run all the cabling under the van and will fit the camera into the step recess. How do I get the monitor cable into the van as I can't see any holes to push it through to the dashboard. Has anyone done this please

I should have said any holes in the engine bay bulkhead into the dashboard without stripping anything out

Last edited by Redwink on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : slight update)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Fitting a rear view camera Empty Re: Fitting a rear view camera

Post by roli Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Under the plastic step well cover you should find a grommet I have brought all sorts in through here on different vans. Feed it up under cab carpet and door ill at trim (if that makes sense!)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:56 am

This is why I went for a wireless setup. Much easier without the cable routing issues.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:19 pm

I also have a wireless set up, but still had to route wires to power the camera.
There are a few downsides to a wireless set up though, one being interference, especially in built up areas. The other is picking up a signal other than from your camera, instances have ranged from suddenly seeing our own van from the camera of a caravan in front, to waiting at traffic lights in France and getting an overview of the changing rooms of the clothes shop across the road... Not a pretty sight from whet I can remember..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:35 pm

bikeralw wrote:getting an overview of the changing rooms of the clothes shop across the road... Not a pretty sight from whet I can remember..

Blimey, I haven't had anything exciting like that happen :). Admit I do occasionally get some interference but so far it's not been enough to make me want to run wiring the length of the van yet.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am

Thank you all for the information, time to go and have a poke about. I did think about bringing it up where the leisure battery breather pipe exits the van from under the driver seat and then follow carpet route as Roli suggested.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down