The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo battery charging

4 posters

Go down

Nuevo battery charging Empty Nuevo battery charging

Post by BarryP Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:44 am

Why Oh why can't motorhome and caravan manufacturers provide better handbooks?  Money I suppose, but when I buy a new Jaguar or Mercedes for the same sort of money a new motorhome costs I get a phone directory-size handbook which takes a few days to read but usually tells me how the beast works. All I get with a motorhome is the briefest of guides and a wodge of appliance leaflets. Forums such as this make up the balance with members prepared to share their knowledge which I am sure most of us really appreciate. Anyway, rant aside, I have come across another query which hopefully someone will know the answer to. The control panel in our 2005 Nuevo is a basic unit with a couple of gauges and a few switches. The left hand switch is a change over between Cab and Hab with others marked "master" "battery/water" "pumps" etc. I have given up on the water option as in my experience these are not to be believed whatever they say. It still works when set to the cab option which is puzzling as there is no water there!! No matter it is the "battery" option which confuses me. I guess that when set to "Hab" with "Master" set to "on" the battery gauge indicates state of the leisure battery and when set to "Cab" shows condition of the vehicle battery. Is this even right? Given that when sited with 240v mains supply the leisure battery is being charged, does the vehicle battery receive the benefit of the on-board charger supply when the option switch is set to "cab"? I hope I have explained this sufficiently well to have explained my query which will enable a more knowledgeable member to share with me please.
Thanks in anticipation,
Barry
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Nuevo battery charging Empty Re: Nuevo battery charging

Post by Paulmold Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 am

The master switch is exactly that, a switch which overrides the other switches . The rocker switch for the batteries is to direct the charge from the battery charger when on hook up. The battery guage only shows the state of the leisure battery irrespective of the rocker switch position.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:08 am

Did you get the original handbook Barry? I have one, two actually, and I think it's quite comprehensive. 116 pages is not brief. Ok, the circuit diagram could be a little clearer, but that's getting a little technical. I've found the water gauge pretty accurate, ok it reads full for quite a long time even though some water has been drawn off, but from around about the halfway point all is good. I've watched the gauge when my wife is showering, and sure enough the pump starts to race as soon as the needle hits the bottom..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:05 am

I regularly refer to the handbooks published on the AS web site as theirare many models I do not have practical experience of. I find them very comprehensive and accurate but I do think my findings can be contributed to the fact I know what I'm looking for and am familiar with the style of book.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:13 pm

I have a similar setup on my 2002 Nuevo, battery switch always set to hab as I have a battery mate fitted where the vehicle battery gets topped up from the leisure battery. Only about £65. Although many will not agree I always have the Nuevo hooked up on the drive because of the drain from the alarm and for some reason the standby on the radio being live. Still on the original vehicle battery, but not sure now if the starting is helped by the leisure battery. Only on the second leisure battery at 3 years old. I have one you can check the levels and had not had to top up yet. If it needs a regular top up and starts to over gas I will change it. At only about £60 from Bristol batteries. I am surprised a comprehensive manual did not come with the Nuevo.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Wow, still on the original vehicle battery after 14 years?? Must be a record, I know for a fact my van is now on it's third one. I also have a batterymaster type box fitted, much cheaper on ebay. I keep the van at home but only put it on EHU prior to a trip in order to pre-cool the fridge, I leave the charger switch in the mid 'off' position, the rest of the time I leave it to the solar panel to keep the batteries topped up.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I also have solar and a battery master. I was advised to leave rocker switch on leisure battery, and let the battery master look after the engine battery.
I only put on hook up at home overnight before a trip to cool fridge.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:18 pm

I don't think the position of the rocker switch makes any difference when not on EHU and charging with the solar panel. My panel feeds the solar controller which in turn is connected straight to the leisure battery. The battery master just links in the vehicle battery when a pre set voltage is reached in the leisure battery.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down