The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snooper Sat Nav

5 posters

Go down

Snooper Sat Nav Empty Snooper Sat Nav

Post by CC Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Do any of our members use a Snooper Ventura Sat Nav unit?

Really like the idea that these units are designed specifically for Truckers & Motorhome users, so would be interested in hearing others user experience?

Always been a die hard fan of TomTom but have been disappointed in some respects with my last purchase of an TomTom XXL, especially the map updates and the IQ routes which really sucks.... unless you want to detour and cut through housing estates and industrial estates to save 10 seconds on your journey rolleyes

Understand the Snooper gives you lifetime map updates unless I've read that wrong?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Snooper Sat Nav Empty Re: Snooper Sat Nav

Post by zappy61 Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi CC,
I don't think you will get life updates unless you pay extra. Beware of the custom Poi system, you can't just install your own you have to go to their website and down load what they have in thier database, if what you are looking for is not there you can send them the details and they will include it but it can take up to 21 days see here. I prefer the Garmin 465T but the latest offering is the Dezl with a wider screen, you can upload your own poi's, free traffic, and get lifetime maps for around £50/60. You can see my review in Accessories here.

Hope this helps,

Graham
zappy61
zappy61
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : Orian Saturn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi there,

Not heard of the make or model you mentioned but ........

Had a Navman from 2006 to 2009 that couldn't be reprogrammed when we went to the USA so bought a Garmin Nuvi that had the whole of Europe built in and the whole of the USA on a mini-gizmo the size of a fingernail!

We use "Mildred" in Petal and also when cycling and walking.

Never let us down; yet!! Only complaint is that on the bike if we ask for "shortest route" Mildred often takes us up and over a mountain (let's say a distance of four miles) when we could cycle on the flat round the mountain (let's say a distance of four and a half miles) without a lot of huffing and puffing!!

We bought the Nuvi in November 2009 and updated in November last year.

I think that it was basically a waste of money. A number of UK road changes that were in place the year before (i.e. Well before November 2009) still hadn't been included. As a result we will probably get updates on a three yearly schedule in the future.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:11 am

Sent you a pm CC ref sat navs, been having posting problems with the dongle tonight had to use mobile phone as a modem
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by zappy61 Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Not heard of the make or model you mentioned but ........

Had a Navman from 2006 to 2009 that couldn't be reprogrammed when we went to the USA so bought a Garmin Nuvi that had the whole of Europe built in and the whole of the USA on a mini-gizmo the size of a fingernail!

We use "Mildred" in Petal and also when cycling and walking.

Never let us down; yet!! Only complaint is that on the bike if we ask for "shortest route" Mildred often takes us up and over a mountain (let's say a distance of four miles) when we could cycle on the flat round the mountain (let's say a distance of four and a half miles) without a lot of huffing and puffing!!

We bought the Nuvi in November 2009 and updated in November last year.

I think that it was basically a waste of money. A number of UK road changes that were in place the year before (i.e. Well before November 2009) still hadn't been included. As a result we will probably get updates on a three yearly schedule in the future.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround

Hi Dutto,

I get 4 map updates a year with my Garmin having taken up lifetime maps for £80 2 years ago you can get it now for around £50/60 from Amazon. I really think it's worth knowing that you are up to date to avoid hassle especially in cities (one way systems etc.) Out of the three satnavs that I have owned the Garmin has been the best.

Regards,

Graham
zappy61
zappy61
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 am

There was no mystery in me not posting on the forum re Snoopers just I was have having mobile internet internet problems and didnt want to make typos in public!!.

Snooper is marketed by Perormance Products of Runcorn and some of the models allow you to put the size and weight of the van in which is handy and come preloaded with the ACSI campsite guide. Good hardware and mapping and excellent support from PP. Used in the van for last 18 months or so. Some people have problems with POIs we havnt and there is loads of stuff already programed in.

Garmin Nuvi was predecessor and now relegated to the car, Good mapping and hardware and good support, have to pay for updates. Smaller screen than Snooper. Had the unit for around 4/5 years with no real issues. Plenty of add in POI's available.

Previous to this we had a Navman, good mapping lousy quality hardware that was replaced twice over 18months, support was reasonable. but not upto Garmin or Snooper standard.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:42 pm

hen looking for a stop over
CruizingComet wrote:Do any of our members use a Snooper Ventura Sat Nav unit?

Really like the idea that these units are designed specifically for Truckers & Motorhome users, so would be interested in hearing others user experience?

Always been a die hard fan of TomTom but have been disappointed in some respects with my last purchase of an TomTom XXL, especially the map updates and the IQ routes which really sucks.... unless you want to detour and cut through housing estates and industrial estates to save 10 seconds on your journey rolleyes

Understand the Snooper gives you lifetime map updates unless I've read that wrong?

Hi CC, yes we use one, the snooper S7000.
It takes a bit of figuring out at first but we have found it very useful.
It has already been mentioned about not being able to download your own poi's but have not been bothered as most of the poi's we wanted are on the snooper site.
Included with the S7000 is the ACSI campsite guide for Europe which has come in useful when looking for a stop over.
So far as I know the free map update is only for a year and then they have to be paid for.
The speed camera updates are the same, on a yearly basis.
We have not been wrong footed since getting the sat nav, no narrow lanes, low bridges etc.
We are very pleased with it. allthumbz
DeeGee7
DeeGee7

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by zappy61 Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 am

Got my latest map update from Garmin yesterday that's the fourth this year. Also a software update, I think it's a great service and its good to know it is up to date.

Graham
zappy61
zappy61
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down