The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washing the Van

+4
TeamRienza
Paulmold
Charliefarlie
Dave 418
8 posters

Go down

Washing the Van Empty Washing the Van

Post by Dave 418 Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 am

think_smiley_46 Washing the Duetto was a matter of a brush on the end of the hose with one of those soap sticks in the handle.
 The Rienza is a different matter as it is not all tin like the Duetto. A caravan owner we know recommended a cleaner called Muckoff. He recons it is a simple matter of wet van, spray on, rub with a wash mit or sponge and rinse off. Management said this was advertised in the MMM magazine, I must have missed it.
 There is also another product from Halfords that is the same idea. Any one tried these?.

I was hoping to leave washing the van for a bit longer but the site we were on in Norfolk was very yuky mucky and wet so the bottom of the van has changed colour. tap_fingers
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Washing the Van Empty Re: Washing the Van

Post by Charliefarlie Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:43 am

You do not need those products. Some contain TFRs or Traffic Film Removers which are damaging.. Just use a mild mix of car shampoo and warm water..

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:50 am

I've used Muckoff to get the worst off especially the roof. It made a good job, followed by a polish.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Dave,

Hope the Norfolk trip went well and you are pleased with the van.

Muc off can be had in the Halfords cycle section. I am not certain if it is ok on the van. Worth checking their website.

I reckon the Rienza has a more tolerant body being GRP. I always used Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner (they also do a caravan cleaner) this is also sometimes available in Halfords. I used to finish off with Fenwicks Bobby dazzler ( a  finishing wax ?). Both are readily bought in a dealership with an accessory shop.

The worst part is doing the roof, especially under the solar panel. I used to get on the roof (90kg) and provided I moved carefully I walked about with hose and brush. Don't put any weight on the over cab section as it is very thin and flexible.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 am

up! Thanks paul, the polish bit will have to wait but it looks like Mucoff will be the easiest for a genral clean up. up!
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:48 am

Mucoff is available for bikes and caravans (maybe same product with different labels). I won a pack of the Caravan version, it came with a microfibre mitten which was great to agitate it on the muck.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by alanf Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Muc-off is quite expensive for what you get.
I've been using valet pro citrus degreaser on my cars paint work and it is a great product.
There is also a product called Fenwicks caravan cleaner which I have heard a lot about on mountain bike forums but I have never used.
5 litres of the citrus degreaser is about 20 quid and should be diluted down 1:5 for tough dirt and 1:10 for general use, so it lasts pretty well too.
alanf
alanf

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Fenwicks washing products for me, followed with a good polish.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Muck off do a product for vehicles but it's Pricey for the qty you get... I've used Fenwicks motorhome cleaner and would say it's a better product and much cheaper per wash.

I currently use products by a company called Chemicals Direct, they do a lot of marine products also, their motorhome cleaner is highly concentrated and although it may appear Pricey you only need a capful so it just lasts forever! They also do a motorhome wash and wax with Carnauba

You can buy their products direct as they have an eBay shop here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Delivery is 24-48hrs and they are friendly and helpful in my experience, one of the mags think it was MMM reviewed their cleaner sometime ago and rated it very highly too.

I don't think I'd use anything else as it's just so good.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 pm

That product looks pretty good CruisingComet up! Might give the one with the wax a go.  I have been using Autoglym wax and wash for the past thirty odd years without any issues but always worth trying something else. 
I have been wary of the Fenwicks; albeit a fantastic cleaner I worry about its corrosive/chemical content. I washed my new Avondale caravan with it and it turned the false chrome on the wheel trims green and they started to flake off within a week. I had  (I thought) rinsed it off thoroughly as well. scratch head Having said that, their liquid polish is brilliant. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down