The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flexible solar panels

4 posters

Go down

Flexible solar panels Empty Flexible solar panels

Post by Sparky7 Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 am

Good morning

Has anyone tried to fit a solar panel to the curved luton roof of a Nuevo?   This is the only available space due to aerial, sat dish, vents etc.

Sparky
Sparky7
Sparky7

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo II

Back to top Go down

Flexible solar panels Empty Re: Flexible solar panels

Post by Jaytee Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Not a Nuevo but a pal of mine fitted them to his Landrover before a trip to Russia and he said they were great.

I dont think you would be able to fit to a double profile, only single.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by ploop Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just in the process of completing my installation on a 2012 Nuevo. I'll put up some more photos when complete, but very, very pleased with it so far. The panel is 100w, less than 2Kg, 1100x540x2mm and £129. It is one of the latest "back connection", technology panels which are more efficient, certainly better than the 3.6Kg, 30 watt standard installation it replaced.
ploop
ploop

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi Ploop, who is the supplier as that does look the business ? allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ploop Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

You will also need some Sikaflex 512, suitable lengths of 4mm solar grade cable and mc4 connectors, 2 Way Feed Gland/Solar Panel.

I'll put together a post on the finer points of my installation over the weekend, as I also modified the EC328 control box and added a remote meter to watch the free electricity arrive!
ploop
ploop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:46 am

That really looks good and as you say by replacing existing 30watt panel also saves weight. Looks like I can remove the 30 watt and just connect straight on the the existing wiring. 
Most of our MHing is on non electric sites and with just the 30w we manage for quite a few days without running the engine so this will be just the job me thinks. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:59 pm

The specs of that panel may explain the apparent discrepancy between power levels and current that have been mentioned in other solar panel threads.
Max voltage is 17.82 V and max current is 5.62A  - Short circuit current is 6.35A.

If the panel can only supply 6.35A when short circuited that implies somewhere between 5.62A and 6.35A when delivering the 13.6V to 14.4V that the Sargent will pass out to the battery when charging.  That sounds like somewhere around 80W effective maximum rather than the theoretical 100W which is 5.62A at 17.82V (5.62 x 17.82 = 100) which cannot be achieved as you cannot pass 17.82V to the batteries.

Or can some solar panel genius correct my calculations?  I have no idea what the panel characteristics are when taking lower voltage. In a domestic installation the inverter takes whatever voltage the panels can put out and then puts out 240V AC.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by ploop Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Nothing wrong with your calculations, that is how solar power ratings are calculated. Its got very little to do with the voltage output from the controller, so this is a good measure for comparing one panel against another. Bare in mind also apart from these panels being flexible, the back connections make them a lot more efficient than the panels with the "lines" on the front. What this means in practice is a physically smaller panel will produce the same amount of power as a bigger, standard one.
ploop
ploop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ploop Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Just for comparison this is the spec label on the rear of the "greenhouse" framed panel that was replaced.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ploop
ploop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm

That is the same, proportionately. Likely power at around 14V is about 23W.
I was not criticising your new panel - merely saying that rated power outputs seem to be over optimistic for the actual application environment. Or am I talking a load of rubbish?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ploop Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:32 pm

No that is just the way all solar panels are rated, even grid tie domestic ones. Power in Watts equals the product of max volts and max current. Find the specs for a 250 watt domestic panel and it follow the same rules, only difference is you're  likely to be looking at twice as many volts. I wouldn't get too bogged down in this, because in reality this is just one of the factors stopping you getting the stated output. Others include mounting the panel flat, using it other than at the equator at mid day, cloud cover, cleanliness of the panel, length of cable runs, resistance at connections, you get the idea. Really all that matters is comparing my two, old and new, the new one is half the weight and produces theee and a bit more times the power of the old one! It is what it is? Hope this helps?
ploop
ploop

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks for th eclarification that I was not talking rubbish.  I raised the issue because there have been threads here before where, for example, the user of a 130W solar panel was worried that they would overload their Sargent controller and Peter Brown commented that the maximum current that he had expereinced from a solar panel was enormously less than its rated wattage divided by 12 - which is what the user was concerned about.

Having said that - it would be interesting to know on what basis Sargent base their recommendation of a maximum solar panel power of 100W for the EC325/8 series.  Presumably they will take into account the sort of things that we have discussed here.

Male

Back to top Go down