The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Devon

+3
roli
CC
DrRogerRam
7 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Devon Empty Autosleeper Devon

Post by DrRogerRam Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi we've just ordered a 2010 registered Devon on the 163 Mercedes automatic chassis for handover next week. Having switched from a Trooper I would welcome any advice for a new coach-built owner.
Did find it was a bit high-revving at 65-70mph & understand from Mercedes that the ratios are low-geared presumably to A/S' order. In the Trooper we could cruise at 70mph @ 2000rpm. Guess coach-built driving is a whole different ball game?
Roger
DrRogerRam
DrRogerRam

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Devon

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Devon Empty Re: Autosleeper Devon

Post by CC Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Roger

Not sure if there are any other Devon owners on the forum are there? So you may be the 1st uncertain
The Devon looks really nice like a more upmarket Nuevo big thumbs up
Perhaps someone else can advise on the gear ratios & high revving that you refer to confused3

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DrRogerRam Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Read a review by Stuart Hall on a review link from the AS site in which he talks about doing 80 & we overtook a Jag on our road test so I know it will 'go'. Our helpful sales director did not seem to clearly know what he was doing 'cos he was fiddling with the cruise-control & manual on the auto gearbox when it showed '4' on the dash & there is a '5'! Maybe we just weren't going fast enough!
Inside it's virtually identical to the Nuevo, but I just couldn't get on with the Peugeot driving position-felt too high after the VW Trooper. Just felt 'right' in the Devon after a 'maybe I could get used to it' with the Nuevo.

I've never driven a coach-built before & really looking forward to more creature comforts. Although really loved the Trooper & the great holidays we've had with it. I used to sail past the bigger vans on the route national in France saying 'you may have a loo & a shower' but you'll never do 80!'. Now the tables may be turned!!!
Roger
DrRogerRam
DrRogerRam

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 am

Owners of the larger Bourton report very nippy performance from the auto box with the need to keep an eye on the accelerator !!! The Devon being smaller well allthumbz
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DrRogerRam Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I hope you're right & I'll find out for myself a week on Thursday-can't wait!
DrRogerRam
DrRogerRam

Male

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Devon Empty Devon

Post by liitlejohn Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm

DrRogerRam wrote:I hope you're right & I'll find out for myself a week on Thursday-can't wait!

Hi how are you finding your Devon, would you recommend it. think_smiley_46

Regards

John
liitlejohn
liitlejohn

Male

Member Age : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by DrRogerRam Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi,
We absolutely love it.
Revs wise it's 2000 at 50, 2300 at 60 & 26/2700 at 70mph. The Trooper used to cruise at 2000 but of course the Devon is much bigger & heavier & a very different experience. It is really easy to drive & I love driving it. Use it daily for stuff like shopping at Tesco-they do have some longer parking places-it does jut out by about 2 feet in an ordinary car park but I tend to park in a corners space & no run-ins with the inspectors so far. I'm still getting used to the extra width particularly the protruding wing mirrors-pit they're not electrically foldable like the Trooper. Have had some brushes with bushes & an odd mirror to mirror clunk.

Our 1st weekend away took 6hrs packing, 2nd weekend 3hrs we've worked out ways to pack like a well oiled machine, with crockery, cutlery & toilet bags ready-packed! We're still waiting a missing plastic bracket to secure the large plates 3 weeks later-disappointing after care by the dealer.

It's a very different & more expensive option than the Trooper, but comfort wise from the heating, hot water, bigger bed, microwave, oven & 3 gas, 1 electric hob to the freest tv just so much better & i'd heartily recommend it.
That's about it, but if there's anything more specific you want to know just ask,
Roger
DrRogerRam
DrRogerRam

Male

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Devon Empty Devon

Post by liitlejohn Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info Roger, glad your enjoying it.

All the best

John
liitlejohn
liitlejohn

Male

Member Age : 60

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Devon Empty Re Auto-sleeper Devon

Post by padraigpost Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Roger,
hope you are enjoying your Devon, we are on our second Mercedes based Autosleeper first a Surrey which we have just p/xed for a Suffolk.
One thing I would advise is to keep a regular check on the roof (when you wash it) for "star cracks" these can appear in the grp (my surrey had to have one repaired even before delivery) and the first time I washed the roof I found around 10 more, the dealer was going to repair them locally but due to cost Autosleeper recalled the vehicle back to the factory for repair, these cracks can appear anywhere on the grp but are hard to spot on the roof unless you are up there so watch out for them.
Having said all that enjoy your Devon.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:22 pm

hi just bought an AS devon 2010 and been reading your coments with interest  mine will be delivered next week and is nude no extras so got to fit all the goodies myself solar first 140w panel charge controler and a 120amph
lithium battery i will disconect the onboard charge controler if there is a problem does any one have any info on this
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : DEVON
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:30 pm

If I recall your Devon, unlike the Peugeot based Nuevo, won't have a spare wheel as standard. However, I think it is just possible to fit one if you forgo any prospect of a towbar

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down