The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol External TV Socket

+4
kaspian
phil1855
paul bullock
jerryf
8 posters

Go down

Symbol External TV Socket Empty Symbol External TV Socket

Post by jerryf Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi

Can anyone help with the following.

Our 2008 Symbol is fitted with a Teleco Wing antenna and AT36 amplifier, the amplifier is fitted in the wardrobe with the antenna wired into it and the Avtex TV connected to one of the 2 TV outlets.  So far so good.

The van is also fitted with an external cable entry point for both a TV antenna and a satellite aerial, described in the handbook with a small picture and one sentence.  Nowhere can I find any details of where these external connections are terminated or connected into the internal wiring in the van.

Before I start pulling out panels etc to trace the cabling does anybody have any info/diagrams of how/where the external sockets are connected?

Grateful for any assistance.

As an aside, in investigating poor TV reception Teleco has confirmed to me that the Wing antenna is designed for horizontal TV transmissions only so in any areas where the TV signal is vertical the Wing will not give reliable reception - Not sure why AS fit such a limited system!
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Symbol External TV Socket Empty Re: Symbol External TV Socket

Post by paul bullock Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm

On our 2012 Nuevo the external socket is now redundant! Useless, ! A/S had managed to swap the sat for tv inlet , with a multimeter found this out and foolishly thought easy fix ! multimeters are basically too sensitive although I had continuity from external socket to tv socket in the van it woudnt carry enough signal to give a picture on the tv set ! Im baffled to know how they managed this ? So I basically gave up and wired my own exterior Sat/Tv socket on the other side of the van just below the Tv installation , probably the natural place for it to be! But who am I to question A/S designers!! I would love to know what happened to the Tv cable between those two sockets ? But other  than following it through  the vans innards I  never will !!            Regards  Paul

confused3 confused3
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Paul,
             I appreciate that this is an old (ish) thread however I am going through the same issues. I have posted on another thread  however I have just come across yours. This seems to mirror  my issue exactly. A friend and I spent several hours yesterday trying every combination of Sat in, TV in , via the external mounted input on the side of the van, with the same trying of combinations on the inside of the van. Nothing. The only sensible conclusion is that the exterior sat in and TV in on the side of the van do not link with either or any of the points inside the van. Whats more the omni directional ariel seems to have no input either.
The van (Symbol 2014) is 18 months old and new to me, but before I embark on the 150 mile round trip to take it back to the dealer, who says he will have a look, and has given me a 2 hour slot. I am wondering if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and do as you did and have a new point installed on the awning side of the van adjacent to the TV( though at a lower level for tidyness sake. Also foresake the Omni ariel as they are traditionally very poor!!
Your Thoughts?
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am

Hi Phil, if you type "kemerton" into search youll see were not the only ones with this "anomaly" I was lucky that we have a directional aerial so that bit was OK , but I did find that fitting the socket where I described "sorted it" .By the way you are correct it does look better lower down the side of the van , and that is where I eventually decided to position it       Best of luck with it !  Kind regards            Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Cheers Paul,
                     The more I think it over the more I feel its the yhing to do, thanks for your advice.
Phil    handshake
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Woops!! Because of the sliding side door on the Symbol, it gives about 3cms clearance between door and body, which is more or less the depth of the Maxview grey box that houses the connectors. I recon that when there is a cable inserted that this will cause the door on the maxview box to sit open a little removing any clearance!!  confused3
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi Phil, just had a look at a symbol on the Marquis site , Nice van! But I can see your problem, not a lot of space at all on that side! Perhaps the only way is to try to utilise the A/S socket as already fixed. Best of luck im sure youll get there!   Kind Regards       Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi Paul , I have just repaired all the coax wiring in my Kemerton. Poor workmanship from factory throughout . A multimeter will confirm continuity set to ohms centre core to centre core and screen to screen but you need to test also screen to centre core.most of myF type connectors hsd stray strands of the outer screen shorting across to the centre core so although you get continuity, no signal passes and tv will not work. I had to dismantle the aerial sockets with 12v sockets attached and there was also a coax splitter behind one of the aerial sockets all of which had been wired by stevie wonder.  Check between centre core and outer screen and you may also have the same issue..
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Phil,
I remember the aerial wiring of my 2009 Symbol was not fit for purpose and I had to modify.   

As you van is only 18 months old and you are based in Evesham I suggest you call the AS service Centre to avoid 150 mile round trip.
njr001

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Phil1855 wrote:The van (Symbol 2014) is 18 months old and new to me, but before I embark on the 150 mile round trip to take it back to the dealer, who says he will have a look, and has given me a 2 hour slot. I am wondering if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and do as you did and have a new point installed on the awning side of the van adjacent to the TV( though at a lower level for tidyness sake. Also foresake the Omni ariel as they are traditionally very poor!!

Phil
The aerial wiring on my 2014 Symbol worked OK.

If reception is good in the area then the Omni-directional aerial if switched on should be fine using the normal connections.

However:-

If connecting to an on site bollard with an aerial extension lead, where reception is poor, then the TV needs to be connected to the Sat connection in the van using a convertor and not the AF? .

Hope this makes sense.

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Hubert wrote:
Phil1855 wrote:The van (Symbol 2014) is 18 months old and new to me, but before I embark on the 150 mile round trip to take it back to the dealer, who says he will have a look, and has given me a 2 hour slot. I am wondering if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and do as you did and have a new point installed on the awning side of the van adjacent to the TV( though at a lower level for tidyness sake. Also foresake the Omni ariel as they are traditionally very poor!!

Phil
The aerial wiring on my 2014 Symbol worked OK.

If reception is good in the area then the Omni-directional aerial if switched on should be fine using the normal connections.

However:-

If connecting to an on site bollard with an aerial extension lead, where reception is poor, then the TV needs to be connected to the Sat connection in the van using a convertor and not the AF? .

Hope this makes sense.

Hubert

Exactly the same as ours Hubert up!. I did have ours checked at AS as it had an actual aerial fault which they replaced without hesitation and then advised me of the external sat connection as per the handbook which obviously (being a bloke) I hadn't read shrugg.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 am

Hi Hubert,
                  A friend and I spent a couple of hours trying every combination of input in and signal out....nought!
Probably got to go through the swearing and breaking something stage before I read the instructions   read
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Symbol External TV Socket Empty Satellite External Socket...

Post by DaveKilroy Thu May 05, 2016 1:56 pm

In my warwick duo (2013) the external Satellite socket was connected to a cable but the end of the cable in the van was not terminated. it came into the van like the other cables but was then pushed back into the hole.

In my quest for determining how to get an external dish working I phoned AS, and whilst being friendly and attempting to help, the general impression was the approach taken could be a multitude of approaches depending when it was done, by whom and what parts were available at the time . The AS  expectation was the aerial socket in the van connected to the external point should have had 2 sockets for a standard aerial and a satellite type connector. I suspect I got an old single point connector fitted in my van to use the old stocks.
DaveKilroy

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down