The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH'

+4
mikethebike
dandywarhol
RML
Jaytee
8 posters

Go down

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH' Empty MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH'

Post by Jaytee Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Just been in touch with Andy Strangeway who was mentioned in MMM and who is doing a good job battling councils up here in North Yorkshire re parking restrictions for MH's where others are free to park. Their reason for this is that we throw rubbish onto the roads etc. completely blows my mind that attitude and Andy is fighting a good cause. The restrictions are between 23.00 and 07.00 which is probably not when I would park anyway BUT there is a principle at stake here.

I have supported his action and the more that do may help stop this disease spreading to other councils.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH' Empty Re: MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH'

Post by RML Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Plenty of rubbish in our High Street every evening outside the 'throwaways' but not a MH in sight!
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH' Empty Re: MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH'

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Andy Strangeway was instrumental in the removal of the signs in Scotland since Aug 13th last year  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi, I think the rubbish talk is a red herring. i suspect councils want motorhomes to overnight park on campsites designed for that purpose. IMHO . I doubt if any vehicle is allowed to park overnight for free.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm

Different rules in Scotland Mike - http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/your-access-rights/

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi there,

Park for free??   scratch head  In the UK?  confused3   Are you insane??  confused3  

Not if it can be prevented by the powers that be!! tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

A pet hate of mine are the "Tiredness Can Kill" and "Take A Break" signs that decorate our motorways just before the service areas!

Eager to comply the motorist arrives only to be greeted with a series of signs threatening monumental charges if they want to stop for longer than two hours; and even higher and more extortionate fines and threats of clamping if they don't cough up the fee!

However, as an ex-HSE manager, I have to say that an even bigger hate are the know-nothings that play the "Health and Safety Card" as an excuse for stopping anyone from doing anything!  As a general rule it's obvious that they haven't conducted even a rudimentary Risk Assessment before issuing the "You can't do that here!" edict.

Those people I could consign to the fiery pits of hell without a qualm!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Different rules in Scotland Mike - http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/your-access-rights/
Hi there,

It's not all milk and honey North of the Border!  wave 

Paragraph two of the article states:

"These access rights apply widely to Scotland's countryside and include walking, cycling and other non-motorised activities."

The last time I looked motorhomes had a motor!  The clue is in the name!!  hugegrins 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Dutto wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Different rules in Scotland Mike - http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/your-access-rights/
Hi there,

It's not all milk and honey North of the Border!  wave 

Paragraph two of the article states:

"These access rights apply widely to Scotland's countryside and include walking, cycling and other non-motorised activities."

The last time I looked motorhomes had a motor!  The clue is in the name!!  hugegrins 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

Last time I wild camped, I left the engine in the layby........................ biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH' Empty PS

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

goneoff  goneoff  but ….

In the same article it states:

"Enjoy the wildlife and landscapes, but act sensibly around livestock and take suitable precautions against midges and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]"

See what I mean about it being not all milk and honey??   wave 

I once had a "too much information" moment when I met a lady out walking in the mountains around Royal Deeside.  I was sat on a rock eating my lunch when this lady wandered up the track and asked if I minded her joining me.

I didn't so we got talking and she asked me where I lived.  "In Glentanar."  I replied.

"Oh," she replied "I walk there regularly.  It's a beautiful place isn't it but I always have a problem with the ticks.""

I nodded in agreement because the dogs regularly collected one or two and I had picked a couple off my ankles over the years; but I nearly choked on my sandwich when she carried on to say "I always seem to get them in my pubic hair."

My nodding became more fevered as I wrapped up the rest of my sandwiches and waved her goodbye as I pretended that I was going the way she had just come from.

I know ticks are persistent little beggars but how they managed to migrate up there is a mystery that I have never wanted to solve!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

PS CLICK ON THE WORD "TICKS" TO SEE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!

Last edited by Dutto on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:39 pm

When ladies wish to micturate in the wilds I'm sure you understand the action involved - long grass may tickle her fancy but also contains ticks at the end of the blade. 

I know this as I also know an unfortunate lady who had a similar problem  rolleyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:45 am

dandywarhol wrote:When ladies wish to micturate in the wilds I'm sure you understand the action involved - long grass may tickle her fancy but also contains ticks at the end of the blade. 

I know this as I also know an unfortunate lady who had a similar problem  rolleyes

Never thought of that; also never thought I could feel sorry for a tick!!  think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46 

One time my sister demanded that Dad stop the car so she could answer a call of nature and I can still remember the screams that emanated from behind the hedge after she backed into a bunch of nettles!  up!   Ticks were not involved!!  hugegrins 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Andy has had some good results in Lincolnshire and also had fellow MH's staying overnight on a peaceful no rubbish tipped demonstration the other night.
Some may think he is going over the top but he is a lone fighter for a good cause so have a look at his website and if you feel strongly enough he is always looking for support.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 am

Hi there,

Just what I need …  tap_fingers … 

1.  A bunch of motorhomes cluttering up the Huttoft Car park when I want to go fishing!!

2.  A bunch of Council Thought Police chasing me for parking "Petal" on Huttoft Car Park whilst I go fishing because she's a motorhome.

Am I being a NIMBY or are these reasonable complaints from a local resident?  think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 am

Could your opinion fall into 'one rule for locals and another for visitors'.  Whistle1 Said with tongue in cheek so no offence meant.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 am

Dutto wrote:
Am I being a NIMBY 

Yes

It's not just overnighting but simply being able to use a car park without height barrier.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom63 Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Just what I need …  tap_fingers … 

1.  A bunch of motorhomes cluttering up the Huttoft Car park when I want to go fishing!!

2.  A bunch of Council Thought Police chasing me for parking "Petal" on Huttoft Car Park whilst I go fishing because she's a motorhome.

Am I being a NIMBY or are these reasonable complaints from a local resident?  think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

I was in Huttoft last Wednesday, got a shock when I got to the end of Sea Lane, there is now a height restriction barrier at the car park entrance, really low, wasn't sure if my car would go under, but it did. Don't know how long the barrier has been there, No motorhomes parked there now.
Tom63
Tom63

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:17 pm

This has just been posted and I personally think a good idea especially as the councils seem to be picking up on the whole issue thanks to Andy.  Might be a complete waste of time but you never know eh?

From Andy Strangeway's web site

Could I please ask everyone to take a look at Responsible Wild Camping.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi there,

No "tongue in cheek" for this Post.  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

Has no-one yet realised …

… that on the Lincolnshire Coast …

… especially on the bit of Lincolnshire Coast between Skegness and Mablethorpe …

… there are DOZENS of camp-sites whose Owners try to make a living and pay their rates to the East Lindsey District Council?

They don't want ANY wild campers (responsible or not) and I for one can understand why.  wave 

However, they WILL change their minds when Politicians stop lying and turkeys vote for Christmas!  up! 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 pm

The other side of the coin Dutto and a valid one too. 
I doubt many would 'want' to 'wild camp' especially in Lincolnshire  rofl3 but there is a principle re not discriminating against high vehicles here as well.
Plus it is nice to see someone catching councils on the back foot pc

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

MMM article re overnight parking bans for MH' Empty overnight free parking

Post by alanmar Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 pm

hi. If anybody wants free parking get some euros and go to France villages welcome you because they know that you will probably spend some of your money in the village therefore helping to keep the village shops and restaurant/bar open.
alanmar
alanmar

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : symbol es

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 pm

alanmar wrote:hi. If anybody wants free parking get some euros and go to France villages welcome you because they know that you will probably spend some of your money in the village therefore helping to keep the village shops and restaurant/bar open.

Common sense. When will we learn here in the UK?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down