The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel

4 posters

Go down

Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel Empty Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel

Post by mike Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:27 pm

In my A/S Windsor 2008 I have a Sargent EC 200 Electronic control system comprising of a EC200 PSU 2007 and the Control Panel EC200.
I have had the motorhome habitation service completed (4weeks ago) and I did ask them to replace the Control panel as the Scroll Up/Adjust and Scroll Down/Adjust buttons had stopped working. All of the other 4 buttons Power On/Off, Battery Select, Pumps On/Off, Axuillary On/Off all work Fine.
The Habitation technician said that the buttons had just gone to sleep, so he kept pressing the buttons and now the Scroll Up/Adjust worked. Although the Scroll Down/Adjust still did not work he thought that it would be a waste to buy a new Control unit at present.
Yesterday I took my Windsor for a run out (4 weeks fron Hab check) and both of the Scroll Up/Adjust and Scroll Down/Adjust would not work. Lots of pressing, 20/30 times of these buttons and eventually the Scroll Up/Adjust worked. Rest of the buttons no problems.
I have downloaded the manual which suggests intermittent faults can be cured by ""Reboot control panel by removing control panel bezel, remove 2 fixing screws, and unplugging the control panel connecting lead. wait 30 seconds and reconnect.
Just wondering if the actual switches in the control panel are faulty or is the sofrware corrupt and needs the Reboot ??

Any comments gratefully received ---Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk7

Back to top Go down

Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel Empty Re: Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel

Post by roli Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Since the van was new I have never believed the read outs and after carrying out my own and Sargents tests with my own equipment found there was an error of between 1.5 and 2.5v on the read out dependant on input voltage and the water level was way out.

Resetting never did anything of use

On removal of the panel I found several unsoldered joints and a couple of dry joints, but as the components are surface mount (miniture) was unable to repair my my soldering iron.    

A very experienced electronics engineer took the panel and rectified the problems and some decent test gear took some readings and we are now have only a 0.7 v error irrespective of input voltage.

Having done similar checks on the Steca Regulator we foound this to be factual on battery voltages so I read this now and ignore the Sargent unit.  Thankfully the switches still work but if you get an s/ex or new Sargent panel there is no guarrantee of its accuracy

As our vans are the same age it could be faulty joints on the pcb that is causing the switch problem
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel Empty Re: Fault on Sargent EC200 Control Panel

Post by mike Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks Roli,

Rang Sargent today but they are on annual shutdown for one week. Will ring on Mon 12 July and post any results on the forum.

Regards Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 am

The first thing Sargent will ask you to do it to re-boot the control panel.

The system can fault in several ways - the indications 'greying' out, the water pump stop working, etc and a system re-boot fixes that. On early Sargent systems electrical interference from port radar, speed traps and radio transmitters could cause the problem. I know of one dealer who actually installed a reset button on one van (it disconnected the power from the control unit) because of the frequencies of the problem.

You can reset the system by removing both the main leisure battery AND vehicle battery fuses from the PSU although on newer units that have a solar panel connected in to the Sargent PSU that won't work. The easiest way is to do as your handbook says and disconnect/ reconnect the multiway connector at the back of the control unit. Its easy but be careful not to damage any pins on the connector.

There is no way that just keep pressing the buttons will solve the problem you describe - you've been fed a red herring there.

Roli's suggestion of dry joints is a possibility but I've had not had that problem with the several Sargent control units that have been through my hands.

Before you remove the connector to re-boot, just check it was firmly in place in the first place and then that none of the pins in the plug and socket have been bent/broken. I'm not sure where the PSU on the Windsor is fitted, but if you can get at it, check that the multiway connector for the control unit is firmly plugged into it. BE CAREFUL - if the access to the bottom of the PSU is not clear, don't pull out that plug unless you are very experienced at re-connecting that sort of thing 'blind'.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:37 am

I think these units use the same software as the 325 and 328 control panels if disconnected and reconnected you may have to do a re calibration when connected again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 am

They are less sophisticated and don't have the current monitor.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Peter,

So I just remove the bezel, carefully disconnect the plug, wait 30 seconds as per the handbook, put plug back in and No calibration will be needed. Is that correct.

Thank you - Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 pm

yep

the bezel is clipped on, just ease a small screwdriver under the edge on one end and twist gently.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Afternoon Peter and the Forum,

I have just been out to the wagon and with some trepidation removed the panel, disconnected and reconnected it as per the handbook.
Just in case putting the panel back moved the plug I tried all of the buttons. They all work as before, with the exception of the down button. Whether the up button becomes "lazy" again who knows !!
So its a phone call to Sarget on monday. Will report back any help I get but expect to have to buy a new panel at £96 + p&p.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:07 am

Update:-
Rang Sargent today and they confirmed that one of the switches was U/S and that was stopping the scroll switches from working.
Good news is that the 4 left hand switches operate independantly from the 3 right hand (scroll) switches so unless another fault develops I will be ok to continue to use the panel to operate the onboard systems.
My way ahead is to order a new control panel at £96 and when that is fitted and working return the old panel to Sargent for a fixed price repair at £47.They actually fit a new PEC. I need to remove the old unit to get the software issue as new control panels are universal and need programming before they leave the factory.That way if I get a problem in Spain during my winter sojourns then at least I have a spare onboard.
To some on the forum it may seem belt and braces and a waste of money not just repairing the old unit, but considering the value of the wagon and general running expenses and peace of mind to me it is worthwhile.

Mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down