The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Autosleeper newbie

3 posters

Go down

A Autosleeper newbie Empty A Autosleeper newbie

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:14 am

Hi everyone we have sold our VW Early bay and bought our first auto sleeper today its a 2001 Harmony 2.0 petrol brought it 250 miles home and I was well imprest,we love the lay out also.Unfortunatley there where no instruction manual for the living side,would anyone know where I could get one...thanks great forum...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

A Autosleeper newbie Empty Re: A Autosleeper newbie

Post by roli Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 am

Welcome to the forum algy. You have bought a popular model so I would hope someone will respond soon.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:25 am

Welcome from Paul and Carol in North Wales. handshake
We have a Boxer based Symphony, if there is anything in particular that you need instruction with, maybe I can help as I would think a lot of equipment in yours would be the same as mine.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

A Autosleeper newbie Empty thank you

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 am

Thank you,I dont have anything at all,and when I came from a VW camper 40 years old this modern technology thing is a bit baffeling,I came 250 miles yeasterday but the 12 volt switch on tyhe zig still wasnt bringing on the lights etc but when I got home and hooked it up to 240v it all worked fine,I know I must be doing something wrong but I just dont know,the leasuire battery is present under the front seat,also the fridge I dont know which is 12v 240v or gas......thank you Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am

The 12 v switch is simple enough, it's either on or off so check in-line fuse by leisure battery. One strip light should work off mains only , the rest off 12v.
The fridge should have a small red switch and a larger green switch. The red one is for 12v and will only work when engine running (when engine running , the rest of the 12v circuit in the van will be off), on is with the top of switch pressed in, should illuminate when on. The green switch is for mains, again top pressed in, should illuminate. For gas you use the other dials and depending on fridge, could light by another small orange switch which is automatic with 12v on for ignition or it could be a push and click button for spark ignition. Look at the small clear window in corner left bottom of fridge and you should see blue flame when lit.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

A Autosleeper newbie Empty thanks

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Thats great thank you,when I had a play around earlier the amber toggle switch flashed on and off quickly is that right,and so when on 12v it will only work when the engine is running,what if I am parked up with no hook up how do I keep the fridge working,thanks again...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm

First to being parked up with no hook-up. Thats when you can only run on gas. The amber switch flashing quickly means you have the auto-ignition model. Make sure your 12v power is on, switch this amber light on , you will hear it clicking, press the gas button in with the flame symbol aligned with the little arrow and hold it in until the clicking stops when it ignites the gas. Once lit, release the gas button and turn the gas thermostat knob to high until it cools after a few hours you can adjust this. With this auto-ignition model, if you run out of gas, you will hear the clicking again as the flame will have gone out, so turn the amber switch off until you change your gas cylinder and then go through the procedure again. When on hook-up turn your gas knobs to the off position. By the way, when running on 12v while engine running, you cannot control the temperature, and it only cools not freezes.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

A Autosleeper newbie Empty Thanks

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Your a great help thank you,I have checked the in line fuse on the leisure battery it looked fine but I changed it anyway,so when I am driving I assume there is a split charger that does both batteries,if the problem wasnt the fuse can you sujjest another thing to check,and how will I know now the leisure battery is charged off the hook up last night,is in fact charging if indeed the fuse was blown...thanks again...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Heres another ,do you put anything in the clean water tank to ensure no bugs are in there,is the hose near the exhaust the drain for the clean water?and if it is how do you empty the dirty water and what into when on site,thanks again..Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:26 pm

When engine running both batteries will be charging. When on hook-up (and you have switched on the charger at the main switch, which if like mine, is under the cooker in the bottom cupboard) only the leisure battery is charged. At the moment I can't think of anything else that you could check if your 12v still doesn't work. Have you tried all 12 v items such as 12v power sockets and strip lights?

When you say hose by exhaust, do you mean a hose with a tap which clips under the back of a sill? If you do, that is your waste emptying tap. My clean water drain tap is right underneath attached to the water tank. I add some water purifier to my fresh tank but only if its been standing unused for a while.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Thank you,I have checked the relays along side the leisure battery and one has a pin missing that would have once been there so I will get one of those tomorow,is it much of a job to get the seat out to get better access...really thank you for helping me with all these questions....Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:21 pm

I think the only thing I've read about removing a seat is that they are much heavier than you think and shouldn't be done on your own.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't know where you are located but we are starting two weeks holiday tomorrow, starting at the Shrewsbury Motothome Summer Show and ending two weeks later at the Northern show at Knutsford. If you are at either of those you are welcome to look at my manuals.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 pm

No sorry were in Yorkshire,would you be kind enough to answer one more,when the furniture is arranged into either 2 singles or a double bed..on the passenger side the swivel chair would be to high and on the drivers side I cant turn the seat all the way round as it hits the steering wheel,it must be simple but when you dont know,also the tables that make up the centre space to make a duoble bed,I see they fit onto the rail on the seats but..the passenger side only has enough rail for one table then its the pull out section which has no rail to locate the table on...hope this makes sence...thanks again...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Does your Harmony have two single front facing rear seats? My Symphony has one single seat by the sliding door and a sofa along the other wall. To make a double on mine you pull the sofa out across the van to meet up with the single seat when that has been slid forward to lie flat. The drivers seat does not swivel round at all and the passenger seat, although it does swivel is not swivelled to make up a single bed, instead it is pushed as far forward as possible and fill-in cushion is used to fill the gap. It's the same for the drivers side.
The double bed is used across the van on ours and not lengthways, although you could as we have fill-in cushions to do that but we leave them at home to save space. Hope some of this makes sense but I have a feeling you don't have the sofa in a Harmony but I would imagine you make two single beds in the same way as us. We certainly don't have to use the tables to make the beds.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 pm

it sounds the same as mine so its time for a bit of juggeling..thanks for your time and advice have a great holiday.....regards..Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 pm

If you have the same layout, then you should have a cushion with a flap of material (usually stored behind the single seat back and the wardrobe wall), a cushion with a cut-out corner, one larger rectangular one and an armrest at the end of the sofa behind the drivers seat.
First to make up the single behind the drivers seat - push drivers seat as far forward as possible, then lift up the armrest to the hinge and fold it forward over the battery, it can be a tight fit, then the cushion with the flap fills in the void between the end of the sofa and the cushion bit of the armrest.
To make up the other single, slide passenger seat as far forward as it will go, flatten the rear seat, then the cushion with the cut out goes between the flattened seat and the back of the passenger seat with the cut-out going around the seat belt 'pillar'.
To make up the double, pull the sofa out to meet the flattened single seat, use the sofa backrest to fill the gap between the sofa base and the wall using the loose flap behind the backrest to fill the last gap and the loose rectangular cushion fills the gap between the front seat backs. If sleeping across the van I don't think you need this as the bed is quite wide anyway.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Mine is different,you have to use the tables to make up the double as the sofa dosent move out ways,its just a problem now with the rails,its the same as you described to make up the singles,I was trying to turn the seats around,but as you say push them far forward and flatten them,think I will post for a harmony owner that will know..thanks again for all your help...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down