The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem

3 posters

Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem

Post by deejay Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:36 pm

I have a Transit based Ravenna bought new in 2004 with which we are very happy and has been pretty fault free after the initial problems were solved.

However, one very irritating problem has been recurrent and is a really difficult to overcome. This is the plastic retainer holding the retracting spring at the end of the flyscreen which seem to break at regular intervals. The drivers side rear blind has had 3 replacements already. All the blinds in our vehicle except the roof and rear blind have all had replacements, 2 by AS during warranty. The part is known to be very fragile and not up to the job. AS are aware of this, and told me so!

Once the blind has been removed it is a fairly simple job to replace but the hard bit is that the blinds are difficult to get off the vehicle because of the positioning of the top of the blind behind the pelmet. With my arthritic fingers the screws are difficult to get at and even more difficult to remove and replace. The rear window blind seems to be impossible to get off at all, with the retaining screws inside the rear cupboards, so not looking forward to that one breaking!

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had any similar problems, and have been able to overcome them. I was told by an AS service chap that they had improved the part but this does not appear to be the case I am sure as the part no. on the plastic is the same no. as before. They seem very poor quality to me, and completely unable to withstand even a modicum of use. In case anybody was wondering whether this vehicle has had excessive use it has only been used by us and has covered 36000 miles. The flyscreen blinds get minimal use anyway!

Any ideas, thoughts, improvements gratefully received!
deejay
deejay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna on a Transit
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty New member

Post by themenace Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:41 pm

deejay wrote:I have a Transit based Ravenna bought new in 2004 with which we are very happy and has been pretty fault free after the initial problems were solved.

However, one very irritating problem has been recurrent and is a really difficult to overcome. This is the plastic retainer holding the retracting spring at the end of the flyscreen which seem to break at regular intervals. The drivers side rear blind has had 3 replacements already. All the blinds in our vehicle except the roof and rear blind have all had replacements, 2 by AS during warranty. The part is known to be very fragile and not up to the job. AS are aware of this, and told me so!

Once the blind has been removed it is a fairly simple job to replace but the hard bit is that the blinds are difficult to get off the vehicle because of the positioning of the top of the blind behind the pelmet. With my arthritic fingers the screws are difficult to get at and even more difficult to remove and replace. The rear window blind seems to be impossible to get off at all, with the retaining screws inside the rear cupboards, so not looking forward to that one breaking!

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had any similar problems, and have been able to overcome them. I was told by an AS service chap that they had improved the part but this does not appear to be the case I am sure as the part no. on the plastic is the same no. as before. They seem very poor quality to me, and completely unable to withstand even a modicum of use. In case anybody was wondering whether this vehicle has had excessive use it has only been used by us and has covered 36000 miles. The flyscreen blinds get minimal use anyway!

Any ideas, thoughts, improvements gratefully received!
Hi Deejay,

Recently purchased a 2006 neuvo and having same problem with nearside blind / design fault....can you give me any help in finding a supplier for the "rogue part"?
Regards
themenace
themenace
themenace

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty Seitz blind problem

Post by deejay Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 am

Hi themenace

I sourced the replacement plastic bits from Autosleepers but this was some time ago, so not sure of the current situation. Be worth giving them a ring though.

Dave Jones
deejay
deejay

Male

Back to top Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty Re: Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem

Post by themenace Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 am

deejay wrote:Hi themenace

I sourced the replacement plastic bits from Autosleepers but this was some time ago, so not sure of the current situation. Be worth giving them a ring though.

Dave Jones
Thanks for reply Deejay, managed to obtain a telephone number from local Caravan / Motorhome  Service dealer, of Autosleeper Services / Spares of Worcester (01386 853338). Explained problem / part in question, they recognised the problem immediately and agreed to send me the part "free of charge". Received THREE spares FOC yesterday...job now sorted.....very impressed...does appear that it is a "design fault"?

Best regards..themenace...
PS....have a great season motorhoming...looking forward to our debut motorhome holiday  this Easter
themenace
themenace

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty Re: Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am

Surprised you had to get AS phone number from a third party, it's on their website as well as posted lots of times on this forum.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Recurrent Seitz flyscreen problem Empty Flysceen

Post by deejay Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi

Glad you managed to sort the problem. Definitely a very poor piece of design as recognised by AS, they break even if you don't use them, appalling!

Enjoy your van.

Dave
deejay
deejay

Male

Back to top Go down