The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery

4 posters

Go down

2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery Empty 2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery

Post by Wearsider Sat May 18, 2013 8:44 am

Having recently fitted a 100W solar panel to my 2010 Marquis Lancashire ES Motorhome (Auto-Sleeper Nuevo ES) my mind is now turning to the question of fitting an extra leisure battery. In this regard I am not keen to lose the flexible four travelling seat configuration by creating a permanent bench seat on one side with fixed storage underneath part of which other contributors have used the house an extra leisure battery. As I see it the only obvious alternative housing is to utilise part of the space in the nearside externally accessed locker. However before exploring that option I would be interested in alternative suggestions from other forum members.
Wearsider

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery Empty Re: 2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat May 18, 2013 8:54 am

Wearsider wrote:Having recently fitted a 100W solar panel to my 2010 Marquis Lancashire ES Motorhome (Auto-Sleeper Nuevo ES) my mind is now turning to the question of fitting an extra leisure battery. In this regard I am not keen to lose the flexible four travelling seat configuration by creating a permanent bench seat on one side with fixed storage underneath part of which other contributors have used the house an extra leisure battery. As I see it the only obvious alternative housing is to utilise part of the space in the nearside externally accessed locker. However before exploring that option I would be interested in alternative suggestions from other forum members.

Hi, I've toyed with the idea, but need every inch of storage when we go away, modelman is the one that might be able to help in this subject.
Boaby up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery Empty Re: 2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery

Post by roli Sat May 18, 2013 9:28 am

I am pretty certain in Murphs Lancashire he has positoned a second or larger leisure battery under the passenger seat. Unfortunately Brian has been in hospital since the start of the year so until I visit him next cant be certain but he has retained all travelling seats. Only thing is yours is a newer model than his.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

2010 Nuevo ES - Additional Leisure Battery Empty Nuevo ES battery location.

Post by burfy1 Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm

I decided to mount a spare battery in the space under the rear backrest in the Nuevo ES . This is just wasted space anyway and the advantage here is that it is next to the existing leisure battery so the cables are fairly short. I used a strap to hold it to the rear bulkhead. Big disadvantage would be if there was a leak, but this would be true anywhere inside the motorhome. I have mounted it in a small plastic tray with some special matting that you can by from Halfords which is designed to fit under batterys (apparently will absorb small acid spills).
As long as you keep within the profile of the gas bulkhead then the sliding ES seat has no problems.
I finished it off by making a crude plastic box (to keep the weight down) and covering it with sticky back plastic from B&Q which had a wood grain very close to our Nuevo (I think your Nuevo has a darker grain so probably more difficult to match.
Its been there for nearly a year now and we can easy go a week without hookup (even with moderate TV viewing).
Here are some pics:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS. Hope this post reads ok as it the first time of posting with my new tablet. :-)
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm

That is a very interesting solution Burfy1. As you say the area in question where you have situated the additional leisure battery is wasted space. Before making a final decision to follow your example I will wait to see whether any other members post other interesting alternative locations.
Wearsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burfy1 Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm

burfy1 wrote:I decided to mount a spare battery in the space under the rear backrest in the Nuevo ES . This is just wasted space anyway and the advantage here is that it is next to the existing leisure battery so the cables are fairly short. I used a strap to hold it to the rear bulkhead. Big disadvantage would be if there was a leak, but this would be true anywhere inside the motorhome. I have mounted it in a small plastic tray with some special matting that you can by from Halfords which is designed to fit under batterys (apparently will absorb small acid spills).
As long as you keep within the profile of the gas bulkhead then the sliding ES seat has no problems.
I finished it off by making a crude plastic box (to keep the weight down) and covering it with sticky back plastic from B&Q which had a wood grain very close to our Nuevo (I think your Nuevo has a darker grain so probably more difficult to match.
Its been there for nearly a year now and we can easy go a week without hookup (even with moderate TV viewing).
Here are some pics:

PS. Hope this post reads ok as it the first time of posting with my new tablet. :-)

I have just remembered that it is important to run the cable along the top of the gas locker under the profile of the cushion and bring it into the 'under seat area' (where the existing battery is) close to the right hand frame member. This is because the top framework of the seat uses the area in front of the backrest. Slide the seat in and out to see the space used by the top frame (so you must keep clear of this). To make sure the cables don't move I have screwed some cable ducting into the top of the gas locker (which is under the seat so cannot be seen). I will take another photo tomorrow as this may be confusing.
Another point is don't forget to fit a vent tube to the battery and take it to the outside world. Toxic gases could build up when charging, so they need to escape away from humans!

This works for me and I have posted this with good faith but please seek professional advice incase I have missed something. I certainly would stress that the battery in an accident could become a missile so any fitting and strapping down is very important.

All the best,
Paul.

Last edited by burfy1 on Sun May 19, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Sun May 19, 2013 9:44 pm

All duly noted burfy1. I look forward to you posting the additional photograph that you mention. In my case I would arrange for the necessary work to be carried out by a qualified auto electrician as I am not competent to carry out the installation myself.
Wearsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burfy1 Mon May 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Heres the other picture I promised:

The cable is actually heavy duty cable which was leftover after fitting a consumer unit in the garage. I think it was 100 amp. As you can see it needs to be located to the right (to clear the top frame of the seat when it slides shut). I would move it a tad further to the right as I only have a few mm clearance.

With reference to my first post : I should say that the battery and cover must be within the profile of the left hand bulkhead/extent of back cushion depth (the gas locker is slightly deeper and will take some of the foot room away)
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Thank you burfy1 for posting your latest photo as promised. Still hoping to hear from other contributors as to how they have solved the perennial problem of where to fit an extra leisure battery in coachbulits such as ours.
Wearsider

Male

Back to top Go down