The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dumb question about a nuevo

+3
hillwalker
Sookey
raymondo
7 posters

Go down

dumb question about a nuevo Empty dumb question about a nuevo

Post by raymondo Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 pm

just got it the previous owners dont seem to have ever used it (the samples of toilet fluid are still under the cassette and the bungs are still in the taps!)

and now the question, does the wind out canopy/awning have legs or is it self supporting?

There are no legs with the van but it did come with a plastic wallet containing 4 tent pegs - if they arent for securing legs what are they for?
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

dumb question about a nuevo Empty dumb question about a nuevo

Post by Sookey Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Raymondo
When you start winding out the awning, you will see the legs located up inside the front of the awning- they pull down in place. They are quite flimsy but you can get tie down straps (fiamma do them) - cant remember where I got mine from
regards
Moira
Sookey
Sookey
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

dumb question about a nuevo Empty Re: dumb question about a nuevo

Post by raymondo Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:26 pm

thanks - I havent had chance to try the awning yet and didnt want to wind it out and find that it needed legs that I didnt have!

So, any one know what the tent pegs are for?
they are in a sealed wallet and look like they came with the van, there are also a couple of brackets (one pair white plastic and another pair that look like they should clip onto a half inch tube) and a couple of screws and pop rivets

raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Raymondo
It;s possible the pegs are to stabilise the legs. Is there a plate at the foot with holes in? if so push the pegs in there and the legs won't move in a breeze.
"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Is there a plate at the foot with holes in? if so push the pegs in there and the legs won't move in a breeze.

that was my thought Hillwalker but I didnt know if I had legs or needed them!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:24 pm

The other bracket type parts you describe may be to attach to the van so the awning legs can be inserted at an angle. These normally come as standard with the awning but many owners (myself included) don't bother fitting them as it's just as easy to extend the legs to the ground.

If you let us know what make & model the awning is, we can probably point you in the direction of user instructions (or you could G**gle for these yourself).

By the way, in my book the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! up!

Last edited by rogerblack on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 pm

If you let us know what make & model the awning is, we can probably point you in the direction of user instructions

its the standard one fitted to a 2008 Nuevo ("concealed" in the side of the van) beyond that I have no idea what it is - there is no label on it and I havent had chance to wind it out
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:49 am

The awning is an Omnistor special specifically for Auto-sleepers.

The legs can be sprung out of the inside of the awning facia once it is extended a little (not to be done in windy conditions). The legs extend and have a plastic clip that flicks over to fix them to the length you want. Extract the legs as soon as you can reach them and use them to support the awning as you further extend it.

Each leg has a foot with two peg holes in it. The pegs will locate the leg on grass or gravel but not tarmac or concrete. The pegs will not hold the awning down in a storm so extra tie downs are needed if the awning is left out overnight or whilst the van is unattended. Always have one leg longer than the other so the awning is at an angle and rain will run off. Never try to rewind the awning if there is any debris or snow on it as it won't fit back into the cassette.

The supplied plastic clips can be fixed to the van side and are used to locate the feet of the legs and hence support the awning when on tarmac or concrete. I would NEVER use these as if the wind catches the awning it will pull the side out of the van!!!

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Raymondo

As Peter mentions as you wind out the awning it is a good idea to "walk" it out on the legs, this prevents to much stress being put on and possibly damaging the points where the awning is attached to the motorhome which happens if the awning is extended to far without support.

As also previously mentioned a "tie down" kit is essential in windy conditions, having once seen an awning blown over the top of a MH (not mine I hasten to add) causing considerable and expensive damage to both awning and MH I always use a Fiamma tie down kit.

Remember there is no such thing as dumb questions only dumb answers hugegrins well that's what I was told as an apprentice but I still got called a stupid so and so when I asked to many questions confused3

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

thanks all

Im sure as the days and weeks progress I will be back with more stupid questions!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 pm

If it makes you feel better when we got our van I couldn't find the legs for the awning either, not exactly obvious are they a note in the handbook would help!We have only owned motorhomes for about 20 years so how would we know? I like the flush awning much better than the ones that are current and just bolted on top although mine did have to go back to be adjusted, as already said just be careful in a strong breeze, we always attach a couple of guy ropes just to be sure!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down