The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors

+3
roli
burlingtonboaby
Nuevo
7 posters

Go down

Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors Empty Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors

Post by Nuevo Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Is it just me that is suffering with their Thetford locker & service doors yellowing with age ?
I have a 57 registered Nuevo,, not that old but old enough for the door surrounds to start yellowing and prematurely ageing. Is there anyway to recover the whiteness as it looks unsightly against the bright white coach body.

Cheers Dave. beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors Empty Re-Yellowing of Thetford locker service doors

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi Dave
I use a white caravan polish from Care-avan and recommended by Bailey caravans, I have used the stuff for 4 years on 2 vans and find it very good for bringing the life back into the white GRP body work.
In fact I have just spent the day washing down the van with Fenwicks and have started polishing the top half to remove the grey marks.
Really good stuff, its 12.99 for 500ml [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Boaby up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors Empty Re: Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors

Post by roli Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:24 am

I have the opposite on the Windsor. The cab, habitation door and rear of the van all all still white its the sides that are yellowing and they look terrible imo
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors Empty Re: Yellowing of Thetford locker & service doors

Post by modelman Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 am

I've worked & still do with plastics for the last 30 years & they will ALL degrade physically & colourwise due to age & UV light.

Cast your eye over exterior plastic fittings on old caravans, you will see dull, matt & powdery surfaces, all this is due to them being 'untreated',
by that I mean as they left the molding machine that made them.

The ONLY cure is to remove the part if possible, lightly abraid it, panel-wipe it clean, spray with plastic primer, then spray with appliance white,
( or whatever colour ) Halfords own brand is super stuff, the part will then remain the colour just the same as the vehicle.

I came accross a pack of plastic we'd had for many years not long ago, the top sheet was well 'yelloed' I wiped it, sanded it, then snapped it,
it was still yello right through & VERY brittle, (age)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 am

In our case it would be the bonded sides that would have to come off !! which is out of the question. The GRP bits are fine and are still nice a white and look ok after their 5 years (next week).

2 or 3 years ago it had a "deep clean" and polish which didnt improve things in fact had I been paying for it would have wanted my money back.

These vans are not built like yours they dont scrub up well after xxxx years.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for the replies everyone probably didnt make my self very clear but I was talking about the plastic surrounds around the service & lockers doors & not the actually coach built walls. wondered if there was anything to bring the white back or if its knackerred due to uv. is it a big job to replace the thetford surrounds ?

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Nuevo, yes it WAS perfectly clear to me what you were on about, & that is also what I was on about smile!

Its the plastic surrounds that can be removed, prepped & painted, they will not 'yello' again.

Last edited by modelman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 pm

modelman wrote:
Nuevo, yes it WAS perfectly clear to me what you were on about, & that is also what I was on about smile!

Its the plastic surrounds that can be removed, prepped & painted, they will not 'yello' again.

OOPPPS! don't know how that happened

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 pm

roli wrote:In our case it would be the bonded sides that would have to come off !! which is out of the question. The GRP bits are fine and are still nice a white and look ok after their 5 years (next week).

2 or 3 years ago it had a "deep clean" and polish which didnt improve things in fact had I been paying for it would have wanted my money back.

These vans are not built like yours they dont scrub up well after xxxx years.

Hi Roli, thats a bummer, BUT, as I stated, it CAN be sorted, but by painting, admittedly a big job for some, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid to do
such a job, it would be exactly as above, just a bit more of it hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi folks, my '05 Nuevo had the yellowing surround to the cassette locker and the 240v socket cover.
As it happened, the socket cover recently broke and was changed to a bright white one by my dealer.
I had thought to try and paint the surround to the cassette locker and was glad of the suggestions by modelman, especially the bit about using a plastic primer.
Can I just ask what "panel-wiped" actually means, though.

Incidentally, the white rubber strip along the sides of the 'van (where the sides meet the roof panel) were also very grubby when we got the 'van. I've found that using some Cif (ex-Jif) on them, brings them up a treat.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

'Panel wipe' is clear, liquid 'wipe' thats applied all over surfaces that are due to be painted, just about ALL of the so-called plastic cleaners
such as 'back to black etc are simply silcone based sprays that 'shine-up' plastics, but, silicone is a killer to ANY new paint, this awful stuff
leaves a slipery surface that paint will never adhere to, so, the panel wipe is to cut through & leave a super dry, contaminate-free surface for new paint,
ALL automotive paint shops & paint suppliers will know of this.
Never attempt to even apply primer until this is done, you never know whats been put on your plastics previously.
Once the plastic is 'clean' the plastic primer then etches into the skin, then there will be a perfect surface for the new paint to stick to.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Our surrounds have gone off white noticeably in the short time since getting our Nuevo as well but not as bad as some I've seen...

I did wonder about changing ours for the grey surrounds as fitted to alot of the newer vans but guess it would cost a good bit to replace them all and seems tad extreme.... think_smiley_46

More recently I've also noticed our fridge vents have gone off white as well and yet the covers which remain in place all the time except when we are using the van are both super bright white shrugg hugegrins

Does this happen I wonder because Thetford use recycled plastic instead of virgin plastic as I know UPVC windows also yellow in the same way if virgin plastic is not used.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 am

The problem anyone has with vehicles with a 'range' of different fittings from different makers is that although they LOOK similar when new, all
the plastics are slightly different, so you just about always end up with different rates of 'decay' one can still be white after say, 2 years, when
other bits can be well yellow!

I'm very suprised that M/H makers don't gather ALL plastic fittings prior to fitting & paint them in one job-lot, after all, they paint some plastic
rear ABS panels & bumpers ( there're not all GRP )

Although stripping them offis ideal, NON of the faded parts need to be removed, anyone or paintshop can easily mask-off, prep & repaint the plastics,
believe me, the result will look like you have a different van.

Although I use a lot of plastics, I don't know what the U/V stabilisers are or just how they work, so for me, painting is the way to go smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 am

I don't really know what I'm talking about here but I came across a "vintage computer" website a while ago where they restore & use old computers.
Someone on there who works in the plastics industry came up with "Retr0bright" which restores the yellowed cases to their original colour. It's a bit involved and I don't know if it would work with motorhome plastics:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Frank

PS
This board is trying to tell me that I've spelled "colour" incorrectly so angry
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Impressive stuff that Frank, & I knew nothing about it, but I think i'll stick to paint hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks all for your replies think I will put up with the yellowing as really dont fancy all the bother of painting. was hoping there just might be a secret to getting the whiteness back.

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Daz? up!
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down