The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instrument cluster failure?

4 posters

Go down

Instrument cluster failure? Empty Instrument cluster failure?

Post by deejay Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm

2004 Auto-sleeper Ravenna on 2.4 125bhp RWD Mk. 6 Transit

Help!

Took it out for its fortnightly run and noticed there there was no glow plug light but it started easily, then noticed tacho, speedo, fuel and temp gauge were not working. Clock however, was at incorrect time and showing 11.16, but not advancing the time. Carried on and got some fuel and it started again no problem and was running normally.

Came home and decided to have a look at the fuses on the left hand side of the dash. Took the instrument fuse out and then noticed that the clock time had disappeared. Then tried to start it and found that there was no joy, as everything starting wise seemed dead. All other dash lights seem ok, abs, oil pressure, air bag etc. All other electrics appear to be OK.

Anybody else had this problem and any help gratefully accepted!

deejay
deejay

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna on a Transit
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Instrument cluster failure? Empty Re: Instrument cluster failure?

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:24 pm

This might be a complete red herring but a friend with a similar aged Ford had some weired electrical problems a couple of years ago and it eventually turned out to be an alarm or imobiliser contact under the bonnet.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Instrument cluster failure? Empty Re: Instrument cluster failure?

Post by -mojo- Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

AFAIK the Mk6 does not have CANbus, so I'd suspect it's simply one of the multi-way connectors under the dash.

I'd take a look up there and see if one has taken a knock and is partly disconnected, or if there are signs of water ingress which might have corroded a multi-way connector.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Instrument cluster failure? Empty Re: Instrument Cluster Failure

Post by brodco Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

wave
-mojo- wrote: I'd take a look up there and see if one has taken a knock and is partly disconnected, or if there are signs of water ingress which might have corroded a multi-way connector.
Yes and in the same vein I’ve also seen “crud” where the connector “s” plug into the flexi pcb behind the instrument panel.
If the staring problem was not there before you unplugged/ plugged one of the fuses it suggests ether an amazing coincidence (they do happen) or an intermittency around he fuse box that’s been aggravated by movement. Again sounds like loose/corroded sockets but its worth checking the actual fuse holders for signs of corrosion.
I once had an Audi that had all sorts of really weird and apparently unrelated electrical faults. It turned out that just about all the fuse holders in the main fuse box were corroded. I fixed it with very fine “wet or dry” paper wetted with WD40 and it worked for about 5 years until some local ne’er-do-well came along and pinched it! so angry

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by deejay Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Many thanks for all the comments. I am slowly working my way through some of the problems. Will let you all know what the results are!
deejay
deejay

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deejay Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 am

For those still wondering about the outcome of this problem I have a result. The non-starting issue is probably solely my fault but was compounded by the fact that the instrument cluster had been removed.

Rather embarrassingly I had replaced the immobilliser fuse in the wrong slot (doh), however this was compounded by the fact that the instrument cluster had been removed and as this has an element of the immobilliser within it would not have started anyway. There is confusion about this as even some Ford technicians say that it will start without the instrument cluster but, apparently, this is not the case so confusion all round really.

As far as the non-working instrument cluster is concerned I took the plastic back off and carefully cleaned the pcb with a contact cleaner fluid and a toothbrush and it now appears to be working but for how long is anybody's guess. The auto-electrician gave me the address of a local chap who will refurbish the panel so will have to use him if it fails again.

Many thanks to all for their advice and suggestions.

deejay
deejay

Male

Back to top Go down