The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

draught from rooflight when travelling

+7
deckie
murph
Cymro
modelman
Dutto
roli
Barbara K
11 posters

Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty draught from rooflight when travelling

Post by Barbara K Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Has anyone any ideas to stop a cold draught in the cab and travellling seats when on the move. I fasten the rooflight down till the winder stops but when travelling there is a big cold draught coming in. I have tried using the blind but the info says not to use when travelling.
Thanks. scratch head
Barbara K

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty Re: draught from rooflight when travelling

Post by roli Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm

We have always closed the roof blinds on rooflights that have caused problems, mainly the luton one in both the Executive and the Windsor.

It was so bad at one stage some owners cut a piece of ply, covered it in the roof lining material and stuffed the ply between the flyscreen and the window bit - never had to resort to that though.

I know its no consolation but you are not the only ones that suffer
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty Re: draught from rooflight when travelling

Post by Dutto Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi there,

Last week Lidl had a set of five rolls of thin width draft excluder (for doors) on offer. wave

I don't think a strip of this along the upper edge of the closure would do any harm! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:02 pm

We too, have noticed a cold draught sometimes when on the move, ours however, ARE totally cured by closing the blackout blinds smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 pm

This thread prompts me to ask about Heki rooflights. On the Clubman (well, on my vintage Clubman) the small roof light at the front of the vehicle is of the pop-up type. No winder, just release the catch and lift it upwards. When driving - especially in windy conditions - it's very noisy. I have for a few years been contemplating swapping it for a Heki - especially as the existing one becomes more brittle with age. I am concerned that one day it might not stay secured if something snaps.

However, I don't know anyone who has a small Heki in a similar position. If any member does, can you please tell me whether it's also noisy when driving, and / or whether it's draughty? Should I swap, or leave well alone?

Thanks.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 pm

There is a small (mini?) Heki that will go directly in that space, brother in law did a swop on his Exec to cure the noise, it also stopped the draughts !. Pretty certain its the same size as on the Clubman
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 am

roli wrote:There is a small (mini?) Heki that will go directly in that space, brother in law did a swop on his Exec to cure the noise, it also stopped the draughts !. Pretty certain its the same size as on the Clubman

Ah! Thanks! That's what I wanted to know: that the Heki is quieter than the original. Many thanks for that confirmation.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty draughts from Heiki

Post by murph Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

Heiki rooflights do not close completely as regulations require convertors to provide a certain amount of ventilation at the top of the van and this would appear to be causing the problem, some vans are fitted with a defelector in front of the Heiki which is supposed to solve this problem,if all else fails how about some small size plumbers pipe lagging fitted round the plastic rim to seal it whilst travelling. This stuff is partly split down its length and you pull it apart and it should then fit round the rim. available from B&Q or similar or a plumbers merchant.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:08 pm

We were fed up with the noise from our front roof vent, so now just stuff a small cushion under the fly screen and clip the Luton large door up (in case !!) when travelling …… makes the world of difference allthumbz

Haven’t noticed a draught though …. perhaps my ‘blubber’ helps hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Cymro
I fitted a Dometic Mini-Heki to my clubman a few yeras ago. There are 2 types, with or without fixed ventilation. To be sure of a quiet trip make sure you get the one without ventillation up! . There are enough places around the van where ventilation has been designed in by A/S Whistle1

Another benefit is the extra light that is let through. It really does make a difference.

Regards

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Excellent - thank you very much, John ["Hoopman"].
Gareth
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 am

John makes a valid point there over the extra light. Its surprising how much light the original windows cut out
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty Draught from rooflight

Post by georgepat Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 am

Barbara K wrote:Has anyone any ideas to stop a cold draught in the cab and travellling seats when on the move. I fasten the rooflight down till the winder stops but when travelling there is a big cold draught coming in. I have tried using the blind but the info says not to use when travelling.
Thanks. scratch head

I found the problem on my Northants was due to the fact that the rubber seal as factory fitted is only fitted to half of the rooflight rim. My dealer offered to obtain a new lenght of rubber sealer, which is avaiable from the rooflight manufactures to encompass the whole of the rim. However, they then advised that they would fail the van when carrying out the habitation check as it is they say mandatory to have the extra ventilation provided by only sealing half the rooflight area.
Being fed up with the draught during the winter months when gale force winds were causing the underblind to be blown out of its guide I contacted the rooflight manufacturers who provided the correct length to seal the light properly so that we no longer have a gale blowing through the rooflight when travelling or at night.
With regard to ventilation, you can always open the rooflight a fraction to keep the van ventilated at night if you are using the gas heater, which we do not.
It seems necessary to re-fit the short lenth of rubber for the purpose of passing the habitation check.
George G
georgepat
georgepat

Auto-Sleeper : Northants

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

Not noticed a draught on mine , but a couple of times I have left the paper blind shut by accident and found it being sucked up when I stopped. Managed to get it back on it`s runner but a bit crumpled now, rolleyes
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 am

Our Cotswold was the same with the big opening roof window which allowed a lot of wind threw the camper whilst driving and caused a pain in the back of our necks at times. If the blind was closed it started to flap about and was obvious continued use during driving was going to damage it.
On inspection it was indeed the rubber seal had been left out for over half the diameter of the window as a ventallation requirement by law, Anyways we were able to obtain a meter length of the manufacturer rubber seal and installed that ourselves, very easy job. This still left a smallish gap to either side but we have no wind issues now when travelling.
What I personally do not understand is why this is required as there are already vents for fridges, microwaves, bathroom roof windows etc

If you ask your motorhome dealer very very nicely they may get you the rubber seal but wont install it as they are not allowed to, I dont think they are even supposed to supply it now either fedup There are actually quite a few different seals so be sure to get the right one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Just checked mine and I have rubber all the way round , with just a one inch gap at front and back in it.
What I have found is when you wind it shut as far as it will wind and put the handle in the sunk part, the roof window still has a bit of upward movement .
So I wound it a half turn and left the handle on outside of roof window frame and it does not move now.

Gary
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

draught from rooflight when travelling Empty draft from rooflights.

Post by ubuntu1 Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Please take care, the rooflights let air circulate so that when you burn gas you have the right amount of ventilation. Believe it or not the converters have to do a lot of calculations on the air circulation so you must not block ventilators up - its can be very dangerous.
ubuntu1
ubuntu1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down