The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres

+4
moggyminor1966
burlingtonboaby
deckie
CC
8 posters

Go down

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres Empty Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres

Post by CC Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Thinking about getting a new set of tyres for our Nuevo as the side walls have got slight perishing, having had a look around online I found a few discussions suggesting that a normal commercial tyre is adequate and that the big name tyre manufacturers are cashing in on the dedicated "Camper" tyres, what is the general feeling of members here?

Our current tyres are Pirelli Chrono Camping and I called into a tyre centre today to see what kind of money they are and was quoted £128.70 each, the Pirelli tyres have been fine and grip well on grass so would go for another set if I have to, but also said I was interested in a price for some Continental Vanco Fourseasons and was told that as it's a motorhome only Continental Vanco Camping tyres are suitable, so I queried if they really needed to be dedicated "Camping" tyres and would a good set of commercial / van tyres of same spec be just as suitable? response "I don't think so"

Tyres are 215/70 R15 C (8PR) S

Was considering from the following if anyone has any feedback

Pirelli Chrono Camping

Continental Vanco Camping or Continental Vanco Fourseasons

Goodyear Cargo

Hankook Radial RA08

Michelin Agilis

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres Empty Re: Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres

Post by deckie Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi CC,

We used sets of Michelin Agilis on Renault Master Vans over a 15 ish year period and were very happy with
their overall performance !!

A good half of the vans working life was fully loaded (3.5 t )……

Not sure what difference a specifically made “Motor-home tyre” is supposed to make …..

Do they have “Non Cracking” sidewalls, or the ability to tolerate standing about unused ??

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres Empty Re-Camping/motorhome tyres or commercial

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi CC
I'm running on Continental vanco camper (215/70R 15) tyres, I'm told they have a thicker side walls for longer periods of "standing", as quoted by local national tyres rep.
last quote was £120.
boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres Empty Re: Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres

Post by moggyminor1966 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi CC mine came fitted with Continental Vancamper 215/70 R15 CP so assume must be what Autosleepers fit. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes it seems the sidewalls are stronger with the "Camper" tyres, checked the date stamp on ours and they are a year older than the van rolleyes as they appear to be the originals I'm expecting them to fail the MOT anyway but better have a think about getting them changed anyway... We had Goodyear Cargo tyres on our Trident and was very happy with those, found a review where the Continental Vanco's came out top but had these on my work vans in the past and found Continentals and Bridgestones always wore quickly. Decisions.... Decisions hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:24 pm

We had Conti Vancos on the Boxer which gave good service. The Windsor has Hankooks on - original fitment by Ford and on the 5 year swop idea for motorhome tyres think I will probably stick with that make.
I am a great fan of Michelin Tyres and their motorhome tyres have a good reputation andthe company seem keen on giving support to the motorhome market.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Are your tyres Hankook RA08's roli?

This is the link where I read about the Conti's coming out very well in tests [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1) Continental Camper (first choice)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2) Michelin Agilis Camper (second choice but pricey)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/center]

3) Pirelli Chrono Camper (as currently fitted)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi,

I have Bridgestone light commercials fitted from new on my 3500Kg 2006 Transit Rienza (215X75R 16C) due for replacement. seem fine over the last 3 years under my ownership, no evidence of sidewall cracking.

I hope to replace them with winter tyres next season. I don't camp in winter, but it seems they are very good on wet grass and mud. Tread life is irrelevant as we never get to wear them out, so the softer compound will be fine and may even ward off sidewall cracking. Increased noise is offset by the general rumbling and rattles of a motorhome.

Toyo HO9 seem to get a good write up as do their non winter HO8 equivalent.

couple of usefull links,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lots of threads on motorhomefacts.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 pm

I've been running Gislavid Nordfrost C Winter tyres on the front of the VW for a year now - including mid 20 deg. C in Ireland last week (hard to believe but it was hot smile! ) and I've no problems with grip or wear - and they're fantastic on wet grass, unlike the Vanco's previously fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Camping / Motorhome Tyres or Commercial Tyres Empty Motorhome Tyres

Post by bms10 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 am

Hi
There are a multitude of options when selecting replacement tyres and most users have their preferences, as my choice was different from the vehicle's original equipment the advice from my local garage before he would order them was 'MAKE SURE YOUR INSURER APPROVES'.
I did, my choice was approved, and I've been very satisfied with the change. allthumbz
ATB
Brian
bms10
bms10
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : Inca 2.8 hdi

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 am

bms10 wrote:Hi
There are a multitude of options when selecting replacement tyres and most users have their preferences, as my choice was different from the vehicle's original equipment the advice from my local garage before he would order them was 'MAKE SURE YOUR INSURER APPROVES'.
I did, my choice was approved, and I've been very satisfied with the change. allthumbz
ATB
Brian

allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down