The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filling up with water

+2
whisky
Peel
6 posters

Go down

Filling up with water Empty Filling up with water

Post by Peel Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 am

Having finally got the leaky fresh tank on my Trident replaced, I'm looking forward to having water on tap when camping.
Left me wondering though: how do people fill up the tank, whether they be at home or on site? Any tips or suggestions gratefully received. think_smiley_46
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Filling up with water Empty Re: Filling up with water

Post by whisky Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Peel.

The thinking seems to be fill up on site as you are then not pulling all the extra weight of water (weighs 10lbs a gall) So you get better MPG. However depends on how much stuff you carry. If your payload is not that great. Travel with a few gallon on board. I do. Saves having to search around as soon as you arrive on site.

Cheers. Whisky.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 pm

^^^ Sounds sensible. Was actually thinking of how best to get the water from the tap to the tank.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Depends, some use hoses from the taps others use containers and fill up. I mainly fill a 2 gall container and poke a 45 degree 68mm downspout bend into the fiama water inlet fitting and pour the water down it. There is a photo somewhere on the forum of this.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Filling up with water Empty Re: Filling with water

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi,

Similar to Roli, we use a 2 gallon watering can but with a flexi spout cut from a cheap plastic funnel.

Also we carry a 10L of fresh water for the brew up, before 'setting up' (most important!)

Cheers! drinksallround

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 pm

We use a) a hose of suitable length to reach the tap, carry a 2 mtr and a 4 mtr and b) use a wheeled 5 gallon container and a 12v submersible pump connected to a length of hose and an extension cable to reach 12v socket in the van.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 pm

I normally use an 8 foot (approx) length of see-through tubing with a selection of Hozelock fittings. I also carry a flat hose and a funnel. As we now use supermarket gallon containers for drinking water, I can use one of these and the funnel at a push.

How much water you carry depends on the type of camping you are doing, we are in Shetland at the moment and I keep the tank topped up as we don't know where we are stopping next or for how long. Our fresh water tank takes 15 gallons = 150 lbs = the weight of another passenger. To my mind I don't feel that this make any appreciable difference to fuel consumption.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:20 pm

We use a normal watering can, fills up 5lts at a time. and as we like Wild camping keep the tank topped up. have not noticed much difference to the fuel consumption, but the good lady likes bottled water for her tea, says it tastes different ( strange creature). Have told her to drink more red wine first, and don' tell her, but I fill the kettle from the on board tank, and as long as she does not see me she does not notice the taste. Funny that! hugegrins
stuartneale1
stuartneale1
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Rimini

Back to top Go down