The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenna - frost protection dump valve

3 posters

Go down

Ravenna - frost protection dump valve Empty Ravenna - frost protection dump valve

Post by nedsram Sun May 06, 2012 6:29 pm

I t appears that this valve tripped during cold weather while it was in storage. We filled the water, started the pump, and it all poured out of a pipe next to the waste drain tap. Our problem is that we have no idea where the reset switch is located. I had two ideas. One is below the wardrobe floor, but I'd have extreme difficulty getting the floor up. The other is somewhere inside the Trumatic heater, but although I've read that you can get the cover off, I've so far failed to manage this. Surely they would put it somewhere accessible, as this must be a common problem. Any suggestions would be most gratefully received!
nedsram
nedsram

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Ravenna - frost protection dump valve Empty Re: Ravenna - frost protection dump valve

Post by JanGlover Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm

We have a Worcester and possibly a newer version of the Truma. We had a similar issue, which we resolved by working back from where the pipe was dumping the water. We have a part of the piping next to the Truma which goes into a black plastic thing with a blue handle on top which turns to four positions. At the bottom (and back in our case) there is a push button which stays in when you push it when the handle is turned to an acceptable position. This is the frost dump valve and it will trigger at 7 degrees.

Our Truma is under one of the beds and quite accessible, surely not even A-S would make this valve inaccessible!

Dick
JanGlover
JanGlover

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Ravenna - frost protection dump valve Empty Re: Ravenna - frost protection dump valve

Post by nedsram Sun May 06, 2012 9:21 pm

JanGlover wrote:We had a similar issue, which we resolved by working back from where the pipe was dumping the water.
Thanks Dick. I did follow the pipe back and it disappeared into the innards somewhere around the wardrobe. There is a storage area under the rear double bed, with outside access. I never thought to look in there, although if it is there, it's a long way from the rest of the components. I'll have a look tomorrow - it's too dark now. (Added later.) My wife now tells me that the side seat between the rear bed and the wardrobe lifts up - somehere else to look!
nedsram
nedsram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nedsram Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I finally discovered a yellow tap under the side settee that turns out to be a Truma protection valve. Although it was in the closed position, it was still letting water out - although moreso in the open position. I guess it must had been damaged due to icing up in the recent cold spell. I've ordered a new one - £33.75 including delivery from Caravan Parts of Banbury. Looks easy enough to fix. Let's hope it does the trick - and arrives in time, as we had two weeks in Scotland pencilled in starting next weekend!

The moral. Read the manual. It does tell you to open the valve as part of the winterisation procedure. We didn't even know it existed. blushes
nedsram
nedsram

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenna - frost protection dump valve Empty ravenna

Post by stephenday Mon May 07, 2012 6:22 pm

hi there nice to see someone with ravenna glad you found tap ive got 125 on transit goes well anyway nice to read steve
stephenday
stephenday

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ravenna

Back to top Go down

Post by nedsram Thu May 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I spoke too soon. That dump valve was fine, and the drain dumps water at the rear wheel arch. It isn't that tube that was dumping water. So I'm back to the idea that I need to pull out a either a red pin on the water heater as suggested elsewhere, or the black plastic thingy suggested by JanGlover.

I've asked Autosleepers if they can help, but otherwise it looks like I may have to remove the wardrobe floor, which is going to be a real pain. Anybody got any other ideas please?
nedsram
nedsram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nedsram Thu May 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey ho. On removing the floor of the wardrobe I couldn't see any drop valve, but I tracked the overflow pipe to the hot water outlet from the Truma Ultrastore. Apparently the non-return valve had broken and the hot water was just going straight outside when the pump was switched on. Thanks to a thread on wildcamping (which I am apparently too young to be allowed to link to) for the answer.
nedsram
nedsram

Male

Back to top Go down