The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark particles in the toilet flush tank

+8
inspiredron
Gromit
Gram
Peter Brown
Alf
Greyhound
moggyminor1966
jaffa
12 posters

Go down

Dark particles in the toilet flush tank Empty Dark particles in the toilet flush tank

Post by jaffa Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:21 am

Hi, still new to this game, and I did try searching for a solution for this! My Toilet Flush tank has some dark debris in it, that mostly shows up when I drain it down for cold weather. It is the hand pump Thetford we're talking about here, and it works fine, its just that I'd like to address this before I get a blockage! Any ideas please?
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Dark particles in the toilet flush tank Empty Re: Dark particles in the toilet flush tank

Post by moggyminor1966 Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 am

Do you use an additive to the toilet flush tank? If so this can cause the black bits. Personally I only ever used water only for the flush tank and never had any black bits at all.
When I used to caravan I had black bits but then did not know the reason!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Dark particles in the toilet flush tank Empty Re: Dark particles in the toilet flush tank

Post by jaffa Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 am

I did use some pink stuff, as I thought that it might help clean it through! Are you saying that I can flush this through with ordinary fresh water then?
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:35 am

There are a few threads on this.

It's usually down to a microfilm (a layer of microbes that grow on the surface of the tank). The main culprit is though to be the pink Thetford solution for the flush tank, however they have apparently changed the formulation now and it shouldn't do it.

Mine had a lot of it in it when I first got it and since I've been using the new Thetford solution it's all gone and hasn't come back so I think their claims are valid.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 am

Ah,ok. The tank hadn't been flushed out when we picked the van up, so it could have been in there for months. The pink stuff I have is brand new, but I reckon a bit of time spent flushing it through will probably sort it! Thanks all!
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:10 am

What you have is BioFilm its quite safe but looks and feels disgusting fill you tank with a 25% solution of water and thin bleech allow ton stand !/2 a day or so and flush out through pump to clean pump etc.

Flush out with fresh water a couple of times and then drain.

This will normally kill any remaining BioFilm if not It Will return if it does repeat the Bleech treatment.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Bleach is a threat to the plastic and the seals. Use the cheapest concentrated Bio Laundry liquid. Flush a couple of bowl fulls through, leave for 24 hrs then flush the rest through. Flush a tank of clean water through then go back to the Thetford or Elsan pink.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Drop the flush additive.
We don't use it at home - why use it in the 'van?

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Gram wrote:Drop the flush additive.

G
Personal preference. Not flushing gallons of water through the bowl in the van, it is an alternative way to maintain a fresh aroma in the bathroom.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:34 pm

I prevent bad bathroom aromas by using a SOG (or Thetford ventilator).

I doubt that not using a flush additive requires the use of gallons of flush water! (Figuratively speaking, of course).

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks folks - food for though (possibly the wrong words!!!).
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:04 pm

A Diluted solution of Bleach will not hurt or damage plastic or seals.
BioFilm occurs in any standing water it is water bourn bacteria, when water stands whether in  water pipes or  tanks this Bacteria can start to produce BioFilm when the water temperature shows a slight rise, once it has occurred unless treated it will return at some point the bleach solution will kill it, it you don't like bleach well then Try Milton ( which is a bleach solution ) which is safe to use.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Alf wrote:A Diluted solution of Bleach will not hurt or damage plastic or seals.
Not being an industrial chemist, I can't speak with authority, but Messrs Thetford strongly advise against using bleach. shrugg

"And here is a few tips from Thetford
Never use household detergents to clean the toilet: they may contain bleach, which can cause damage to the seals and plastic. Use a dilute warm water solution of washing up liquid, or: Thetford Bathroom Cleaner."

Source:- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Most household cleaning agents include bleach and other hard-core ingredients that will dull and even damage toilet surfaces."

"Can I use domestic bleach in the toilet?
No. It can damage the toilet. We only recommend using genuine Thetford toilet additives and cleaning products."

However, they do seem to contradict themselves in another answer to a FAQ. scratch head  confused3

"I get black bits in my flush, what can I do?
First clean out the flush-water tank, following our factory-specific instructions. Use Aqua Rinse Plus for ultimate freshness, clean flush-water and to keep your toilet protected.
This is how it works:
WHAT NEEDED: Household bleach + bucket/watering can
HOW:

1. Prepare a solution using 100ml household bleach per 10L of flush-water tank capacity. Prepare as much solution as needed to completely fill your flush-water tank.
  2. Fill the flush-water tank completely with the prepared solution.
  3. Leave it in for 24 hours.
  4. Drain the flush-water tank by using the drain tube or flushing system.
  5. Then fill the flush-water tank completely with fresh water and leave it in for 5 minutes.
  6. Drain the flush-water tank again.
  7. Repeat step 5+6 to make sure no bleach is left behind.

Note

• Do not use together with other products.
  • Exceeding the stated dose or recommended duration could damage your Thetford toilet" (My emphasis.)

Confusing or what!!!! shrugg

I'd say avoid bleach if you can, just in case you need to make a warranty claim. Don't offer them an easy get-out!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 pm

They mean the use of bleach is ok for a rinse of the biofilm in the flush tank, not the toilet. They mention you can drain the tank using the flush, so I guess a short term one off blast isn't going to be a problem, but their point is it shouldn't be used regularly as a toilet cleaner as it damage seals etc long term.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 am

Peter Brown wrote:
Gram wrote:Drop the flush additive.

G
Personal preference.  Not flushing gallons of water through the bowl in the van, it is an alternative way to maintain a fresh aroma in the bathroom.
I started to use pink but after a lot of discussion of black bits I now use Bio Persil and very seldom add Elsan to the cassette.  It works a treat and SWMBO agrees that the bowl has never been cleaner (it's slippier smile! ).
I agree - NEVER use bleach at all for anything in the van. 

Having said that I do clean th efresh water tank at th ebeginning of the season with Tesco baby bottle steriliser tablets (which are a very mild bleach) but I make sure that none of the solution goes into the hot tank (ie flush it through with the mixer taps hard round to cold) and after I have finished and flushed with plain water at least twice I then flush through the hot tank with plain water.
And we frequently drink water straight from the fresh water tank though we mostly use small bottles if it not to be boiled.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 am

As per previous threads we use the bio dish washer tablets for the loo tank and the liquid form for the flush tank from Llidl / Aldi. Works well, cheaper and has a pleasant smell.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Crumbs, Steve.

Do you get bubbles when you flush?

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Rinse the system out with fresh water, drain out throughly , at the start of the season.
re fill with a solution of Milton , flush out , refill again with a flushing solution that suits you .
Its important to flush the system at the end of the season if the van is not in use for a period of time .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:04 pm

blimey!
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 am

jaffa wrote:blimey!
Blimey ?   I sense a "Cor Blimey".   hugegrins   Anything worth doing, is worth the extra effort.   up!                            Now l've forgotten what the thread was about........ah well.    shrugg
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:11 am

Not to worry, It will come back later.   scratch head dont_mentionIt:dont_mentionIt
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I used to get black bits in the flush water when I was using Thetford pink fluid, I changed to using Elsan fluid and had no further problems
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 am

padraigpost wrote:I used to get black bits in the flush water when I was using Thetford pink fluid, I changed to using Elsan fluid and had no further problems
Don

They've changed the formulation now to avoid it. Been using it all year and still no issues so it looks like it's true.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down