The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veneer in Auto sleepers

+3
modelman
DuxDeluxe
Robbie
7 posters

Go down

Veneer in Auto sleepers Empty Veneer in Auto sleepers

Post by Robbie Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Has anyone had problems with the veneer bubbling or giving any bother in new or newish Coach builds. The Cotswold we are are supposed to be getting is new and the veneer board under the microwave is all bubbled and needs replaced. From what we know so far this means the top cupboards all have to be removed.
We won't be accepting out until the van is sorted but its really annoying at this point in time to say the least :(
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Veneer in Auto sleepers Empty Re: Veneer in Auto sleepers

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for the alert up! - hope you manage to get it fixed easily. Nothing on mine but will be keeping a close eye on things
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm

I too have the same, a small area by the cooker, obviously the heat has done it, but its NOT veneer, its heat-pressed wood effect vinyl (posh fablon)

This was very obvious when I removed a bit of paneling & it was 'wrapped' around a corner!!

The silly thing is, they put wood-effect plastic film, over wood!!!!!!!!!

If you were to push a pointed scalpel into one of the 'bubbles' & lift it away, you could easily peel it off, but of course you don't want to do that.

So, in answer to your question, not much really.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 pm

In the one we were supposed to be getting its the whole panel under the microwave just above the sink. According to the dealer he says that all the upper units would have to come down to replace the one panel. Its the way its put together. They say auto sleeper are supposed to be sending a stainless steel plate over to fit under the panel instead. We are not happy as its a new van and should be left AS NEW.
Will wait and see what happens over the next few days, defo not the best start to a new van, mind you there have been several issues so far but NOT due to AS, just thugs in the dealers adding a solar panel and a inverter and ripping cupboard hinges off at the same time amongst other things :(
From september the maintenace manager knew about the veneer and still hasnt it sorted so_sad
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Ours has been damaged on the seat base fronts and one of the cupboard doors. When I asked AS if it was Fablon was told - something similar.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Veneer in Auto sleepers Empty veneer

Post by murph Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:19 am

We had a similar on an Elddis at one time directly above the truma space heater, and I presumed it was caused by the heat from the heater, no trouble with the autosleeper yet.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 pm

The head of Auto Sleepers warranty rang this morning and said they have had this problem on a few vehicles, they are cutting a new shelf and also cutting a stainless steel plate to be fitted under the new shelf once its in in order to stop it happening again.
It seems in a few other cases it may of been steam damage etc from kettes etc at the microwave cupboard is fitted directly above the sink and its the base thats gone in ours. ln our case its just been a badly laminated sheet as the camper isnt even out of the dealers yet :(.

The picture below isnt our Motorhome but shows the shelf that the microwave sits on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:30 am

Had a good look around in our Nuevo and can see no lifting or bubbling on the veneer? (wood effect paper)

Was really annoyed at myself as I mounted our TV remote on the inside of the TV cabinet wall with a couple of those small velcro coins, worked brilliantly till I decided it wasn't quite mounted in the correct position, so decided to relocate it and as I peeled off the velcro away came the veneer with it... Arghhhhhh still kicking myself now!! so angry
Surprisingly MrsCC took it much better than me, and certainly better than I would have if she had done such a thing! dummy

Getting back to the kitchen area's I think the white plastic walls like in the new executives are much more practical, (and it lightens the dark kitchen areas) it doesn't take a genuis to work out that steam from pans on the stove and kettles boiling is a very effective wallpaper stripper, it looks like wood veneer but it's just posh paper twiddle_thumbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 am

I always like to see a big window in the kitchen area, We always opened the window when cooking with our previous motorhome and never had any issues. Even with this one having an extractor fan the window will be open as well :)
The Veneer as you say is just posh xmas paper It's not veneer in the sense that we know it. The problem is getting the actual Veneer to replace any damaged bits. I'M not 100% on this but from what I gather Auto Sleeper cant provide you with a sheet of veneer, I will try and get some clarity on that one.
With the gas point outside on this I can see us having a small cooker with us as well and maybe and just fire the spuds in the pressure cooker on the outside connection allthumbz
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Veneer in Auto sleepers Empty veneer

Post by murph Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Robbie,
Window open in Spain or Southern France is fine, but not in UK at this time of year, Mrs M complains of cold even with the electric heater on full blast. We do somtimes use hookup at this time of year.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:37 am

CruizingComet - You can get a special crayon to rub over small blemishes if you damage the veneer. They come in various wood shades and, apparently, Autosleepers use them in the factory. If you do a Google search on wood crayon you'll find plenty of them. I was chatting to someone in the Service Centre and they swore by them.

Roly
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 am

murph wrote: Hi Robbie,
Window open in Spain or Southern France is fine, but not in UK at this time of year, Mrs M complains of cold even with the electric heater on full blast. We do somtimes use hookup at this time of year.

Brian

Yea this time of year would freeze the nutts of a brass monkey, Windows open wouldnt be the warmest.

Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:03 pm

nimbus wrote:CruizingComet - You can get a special crayon to rub over small blemishes if you damage the veneer. They come in various wood shades and, apparently, Autosleepers use them in the factory. If you do a Google search on wood crayon you'll find plenty of them. I was chatting to someone in the Service Centre and they swore by them.

Roly

Thanks Roly... did think of this earlier, but after reading this post will get ourselves a pack of the crayons up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:24 pm

maybe worth a try on ebay etc not sure what wood effect colour you veneer is but u may get something thats close

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down