The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAK Tanks Waste Tap

+5
roli
dandywarhol
andygump
Dago
CC
9 posters

Go down

CAK Tanks Waste Tap Empty CAK Tanks Waste Tap

Post by CC Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Our Nuevo was fitted with a new large bore Cak Tanks tap before we picked it up, think they are called a "Supatap" in their catalouge, it's a dark grey pipe with red tap which looks very good but it's mega stiff!! surely this cant be normal can it? I could imagine in cold weather or with time this will become brittle and just snap, it takes a heck of a lot of effort to turn on or off and the turning action is slightly juddery not smooth as you'd expect, is this likely to ease with use of do they remain like this? Any tips to free or ease it?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

CAK Tanks Waste Tap Empty Re: CAK Tanks Waste Tap

Post by Dago Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm

If it is similar to their code no. SDT099 to fit 1" size hose, the tap is made from UPVC with BSP threaded ends, so that the end fittings can be attached. The taps do have ptfe seats in the body, but they do suffer from the tightness of construction.

I would always suggest using a brass bodied ball valve, which will be easier to operate as well as being more robust in use. however there is a weight disadvantage, which although not tremendous, can be a small factor in these situations. Without trying to promote my business, if you are experiancing difficulites, I can help possibly. See my website for details.

Dago

Dago
Dago
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Dago

Yes I believe it is the SDT099 from CAK Tanks catalogue, Spinneys apparently replaced this during the preparation of our vehicle.

Have just had a look online and found this pic (below), where someone else had the CAK tap and as can be seen it broke, so they replaced with one the same as we have on the grey waste tap at the rear of the vehicle which is far superior, was hoping after a bit of use the CAK tap would free up a bit and maybe it was like this because it was new but if this pic is anything to go by then it looks as if this is a problem with these taps. Will leave it in place until it lets us down as it's only just been fitted, when it breaks I will look into getting one of the lever type taps as in the pic and as our other tap as these are obviously much better.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

HI Having endured the frustrations of the Taps supplied on previous A/S Vans, I cut the supplied white tap off the one on the Executive, and replaced it with a rubber wine bottle stopper. Works perfectly everytime. No working parts whatsoever to gunge up. up! up!

Andy smile!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Dago wrote:If it is similar to their code no. SDT099 to fit 1" size hose, the tap is made from UPVC with BSP threaded ends, so that the end fittings can be attached. The taps do have ptfe seats in the body, but they do suffer from the tightness of construction.

I would always suggest using a brass bodied ball valve, which will be easier to operate as well as being more robust in use. however there is a weight disadvantage, which although not tremendous, can be a small factor in these situations. Without trying to promote my business, if you are experiancing difficulites, I can help possibly. See my website for details.

Dago

I hope you've allowed for that extra weight when your measuring your GTW Dago! hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 am

I have fitted several of these CAK valves to assorted vans both ours and other peoples but mainly to replace the beer tap type valve formally fitted to AS vans. The beer tap ones got build up at the bend and slowed down draining. The CAK ones are staright through and can take a few minutes off draining time. I have not seen them damaged like the one in the picture and have fitted them since 1999 (our 1st van a Calypso had rubbish valves on too). If you are worried about breaking it the the assembly a squirt of WD40 and operate it a few times
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 am

CC
I wouldn't wait until snaps, it will always snap when you don't want it to, I'd replace it now.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:56 am

dandywarhol wrote:
Dago wrote:If it is similar to their code no. SDT099 to fit 1" size hose, the tap is made from UPVC with BSP threaded ends, so that the end fittings can be attached. The taps do have ptfe seats in the body, but they do suffer from the tightness of construction.

Dago

I hope you've allowed for that extra weight when your measuring your GTW Dago! hugegrins

Just means we carry 1 less bottle of Scotch with us lol4

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am

Dago wrote:

Now thats being silly! -- Deckie where are you?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 am

Hi

Sorry to labour this point, but as soon as you put anything with working parts on this tube it will gunge up eventually.

Apply the KISS principle.

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Back to top Go down

CAK Tanks Waste Tap Empty Re: CAK Tanks Waste Tap.

Post by whisky Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Like Andy's line of thought. Get rid of the tap all together, with the weight reduction shove in an extra bottle of scotch.
Well I would say that would'nt I. Whisky. hugegrins

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Dago wrote:

Now thats being silly! -- Deckie where are you?

How could you Dago ?? biggrin

Plastic bag and an elastic band perhaps ... how was that Paul smile!

Now two bottles of whiskey, Whiskey hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Guys

Lets sort this thing out. Are we talking about Whiskey (uhg), or are we talking about the real thing "Whisky" smile! smile!

Andy allthumbz allthumbz

andygump

Male

Back to top Go down

CAK Tanks Waste Tap Empty Waste Tap

Post by murph Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi All,
I have a CAK tap of the type shown in the photo. I am on my second one, the first one broke when I tried to open it in a temprature of 10 below a few years back, but I have not had any trouble in normal tempratures though it is quite stiff, I do now leave it open in winter and fit a bucket under it, I also carry a hot air gun, (for use with extreme care) and adapter to connect it to the hookup lead, to defrost the pipe should it freeze. This is an extra pipe fitted to a low point at the front of the tank, and exiting on the opposite side to the AS tap, and stowed via a large tool clip underneath the van. It does have the advantage of a connector to carry a 5 metre length of pipe, so that I do not have to park directly over a grey water dump. It is larger bore and faster emptying than the AS one and we can now empty from either side. lol4
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I wonder why the CAK supatap or supadrain taps are made so stiff? It's a shame really as they are quite a nice tap otherwise I think...

Itried a squirt of WD40 on ours, then opened and shut it a dozen or more times, felt like I'd had a work out by the time I'd finished muscles workout but it still felt the same after.. will probably still get a ball valve type tap as fitted on our grey waste as water comes out of this with such a force you have to jump out of the way hugegrins Will no doubt replace the supatap at some point in the future but It'll do for now especially as it's all new & shiny looking smile!

Male

Back to top Go down