The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Press Stud Fitted Carpets in Nuevo

+9
raymondo
algy
moggyminor1966
nuevoboy
Quilter
inspiredron
daisy mae
Paulmold
Ailsaj
13 posters

Go down

Press Stud Fitted Carpets in Nuevo Empty Press Stud Fitted Carpets in Nuevo

Post by Ailsaj Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Our Nuevo has press-studded removable carpets which come in 4 parts; cab, middle strip, lounge and kitchen area. They are in good condition but without a doubt they will make cleaning difficult and will be dirt-trappers around the edge. It is also quite difficult to locate the press studs back into place each time. I'm thinking about taking them out and replacing with fitted carpet in the lounge/kitchen area only. Off-cuts are readily available and with a little jiggery-pokery and adhesive reckon I can  make a good job of it. I would then get passenger and drivers mats for the front instead which seem more practical to me. Has anyone done similar?
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Press Stud Fitted Carpets in Nuevo Empty Re: Press Stud Fitted Carpets in Nuevo

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:54 pm

On my older (2006) Nuevo the front carpets are not removable like the back sections. I agree about the press-studs not being easy to re-locate on to but taking them after each trip is the best way to clean them. Some folk remove them altogether and just have the vinyl flooring which is easy to brush or mop out.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailsaj Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Paulmold, thanks for responding. I reckon the previous owners didn't use the carpets as they are in very good condition. I don't like the lino underneath though as it's a silvery colour and actually doesn't match the rest of the van so reckon I'll buy and off-cut of carpet and set to with the adhesive.
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 pm

I have taken the fitted carpet out in my Anniversary Clubman and had a vinyl wood effect  flooring in, I have also for the winter put in some carpet pieces I had made to fit on top, keeps it warmer and more comfortable, then in summer take out and have smaller mats in wet  weather , best of both worlds. I think for me anyway. easy to clean carpet when out of the van.

My van had fitted carpet originally.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailsaj Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks for that Daisy Mae - much appreciated.
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I would discourage you from using adhesive. I have removed carpets on both our vans SO many times for special cleaning. Once the spoon fell out of the curry! Oh Goodness gracious me - I am telling you that was hard to clean up. rolleyes

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 pm

We have kept the carpets in the sitting area of our Broadway and removed the fitted one from the kitchen area. We have 2 matching, rubber backed mats ( Tesco) there which can be washed when they are splattered during food preparation.

I know what you mean about the edges being dirt- trappers. I have a 1 inch wide paintbrush ( decorators type not artists ! ) which is just the job for a quick sweep of it all to a place where I can sweep it into a dustpan. The brush is also handy in those difficult to reach areas if the shower room and cab as well.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:23 am

I also use a paint brush, very handy for difficult areas, also have a small re-chargeable  hand held vacuum cleaner. runs off mains or without.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Ailsaj Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated.
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:51 pm

We've gone the same way as Quilter, in keeping the "lounge" area carpet and replacing the rear one with two washable mats.
And also provided a smaller similar mat over the fixed cab carpet between the two front seats.
Just makes it easier to clean things up and stop tramping dirt onto the lounge carpet, which is much nicer underfoot than either a mat or bare vinyl.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

We took out all the carpets in our 2011 Nuevo as soon as we got it very light coloured and totally impractical. We bought an off cut piece of carpet from Axminster carpets in Axminster and they cut it to size and bound the edges for the centre living area only between the pull out seats.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by algy Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

We have a Clubman and to protect the carpet to the cooking/entrance area I had a piece of carpet whipped (edged) I didn't want to use any adhesive and to be honest it had a will of its own and moved around so much it drove us mad.Until I bought a carpet runner non slip backing from Pound Stretcher,its like the non slip perforated mat that we all use.And its brilliant it hasn't moved an inch,but the carpet can simply be lifted out for cleaning.Hope it helps.. Algy.
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

We took out all the carpets in our 2011 Nuevo as soon as we got it very light coloured and totally impractical

Ditto - who on earth thought that pale beige/dark cream was a suitable colour for motorhome carpet?

We got some heavy duty (indestructable) stuff normally used on boats it was just the right width (a couple of small cut outs required around the base of the two rear seats) it has a heavy rubber backing so doesnt move and at the end of the season I take it out and power hose it.
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 am

Like others, we immediately removed our carpets and used them as templates for cutting new ones out of an end of roll felt-backed carpet. They just lie flat and don't move around (including the cab).

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:50 pm

As others have suggested don't use any kind of adhesive... Consider the people buying your van when you've finished with it!

On the Broadway we keep our carpets down all the time, agree Auto-Sleeper should fit a darker colour like a dark taupe or brown but I guess it brightens up the interior and looks good from new. However, we just use dark brown runners over the top of ours & it keeps the beige carpets underneath clean. We got some awesome bound edge quality runners from one of the shows for just a fiver a piece & they go right from the front of the cab to the draws in our end lounge. They look just as if they are standard Auto-Sleeper equipment.

If anyone finds their carpets get dirty just take them out, lay them on your driveway on a nice sunny day, get a decent pressure washer & they will come up like new, did this with our Nuevo's carpets before we sold it & the couple who bought it asked 'How do you manage to keep the carpets so clean' some shampoo left to soak for a while before you blast them will clean them superbly & I've found they don't take that long to dry out either on a nice day (2-3 hrs)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you for that tip Cruising Comet. AS clearly took the hint about light coloured carpets: ours is a pleasant mid- brown which I would be quite happy to have at home. Much nicer than the ghastly ginger biscuit coloured ones in our last van. It's better quality too. I cut 4 small squares of rubber mat ( like the grey bathroom stuff) to go under the metal bed supports and there is now no sign of squashing under the bed supports.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertie Bassett Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Quilter wrote:Thank you for that tip Cruising Comet. AS clearly took the hint about light coloured carpets: ours is a pleasant mid- brown which I would be quite happy to have at home. Much nicer than the ghastly ginger biscuit coloured ones in our last van. It's better quality too. I cut 4 small squares of rubber mat ( like the grey bathroom stuff) to go under the metal bed supports and there is now no sign of squashing under the bed supports.

Q

Now that's another good idea which I'm going to poach. Cheers Q!

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I bought Mercedes rubber mats for the cab; not much dearer than the e-bay sort, fit perfectly over the A-S carpets.

When you think about it the Sprinter/FIAT/Pug/Renault vans are designed for builders and plasterers- two aged motor-homers with mucky walking boots... no problem.

We removed the carpets from the hab area, if we are not bringing bits of mud in it will be sand... or slush! We have a large cotton-twist doormat in the kitchen area and will be getting a Turtle mat when it looks too shabby. All this despite removing footware outside!

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down