The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

battery charge

5 posters

Go down

battery charge Empty battery charge

Post by cornishpixi Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Ok this is probably a stupid question but - read on a web site to put a trickle charge into the habitation batteries.  Can I plug in the mains hook up and does this do a trickle charge and is it ok to keep it plugged in all the time. I'm going to drive it around for half an hour each week to keep it ticking over is that ok. Thanks
cornishpixi
cornishpixi

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Midas
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

battery charge Empty Re: battery charge

Post by mikethebike Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi This is not a stupid question.
1) Your EHU will charge your leisure battery,make sure it is switched on in the Motorhome. No problem.
2) I would NOT just drive it around every week for 1/2 hour. Its best to have a decent run that heats the oil.
Short trips are bad news for condensation in exhaust and wear on engine on start up.
I would go on a proper trip or leave it well alone. IMHO
Regards

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 am

I don't think there are that many Midas owners on here regularly, but if you tell us what make and model of power control system your van has, someone here will probably know. I would guess it probably has an intelligent multi-stage charger built in - which will automatically go into trickle charge mode if left plugged in, but that is just a guess...

Yes to the driving around once a week/fortnight - but half an hour each time is pretty much the minimum, or it won't get the whole exhaust hot enough and it will tend to rot (happened to mine because the previous owner left it idling on the drive rather than taking it out for a proper run).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by cornishpixi Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Will have a look and see power system is on the van thanks
cornishpixi
cornishpixi

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Midas
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by jht sheffield Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:39 am

Not understanding electrics, I am trying to get my Winter charging correct.
My perhaps stupid question is this....Having an EC 500 PSU. when I go on EHU, do I need to turn on the control panel before the battery charger starts to work ?  Am I correct in thinking that the charger will then charge both batteries.     Have a good year all    scratch head
jht sheffield
jht sheffield

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Jht, mine also has the ec500 and all you need to do is ensure the battery charge button is pressed in when on EHU and the ec500 maintains both batteries. Brill system. You don't need to turn on the other (lcd) control panel.

Don't forget though, turn off battery charger etc and mains ECB before disconnecting mains lead so as to prevent voltage surges damaging sensitive components smile! and visa versa.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jht sheffield Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Jaytee wrote:Hi Jht, mine also has the ec500 and all you need to do is ensure the battery charge button is pressed in when on EHU and the ec500 maintains both batteries. Brill system. You don't need to turn on the other (lcd) control panel.

Don't forget though, turn off battery charger etc and mains ECB before disconnecting mains lead so as to prevent voltage surges damaging sensitive components smile! and visa versa.

Thanks Jaytee,  I like short and to the point answers.   We are up your way at Bridlington next month for a few days, looking forward to our first outing this year.

John.
jht sheffield
jht sheffield

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 pm

-mojo- wrote:I don't think there are that many Midas owners on here regularly, but if you tell us what make and model of power control system your van has, someone here will probably know. I would guess it probably has an intelligent multi-stage charger built in - which will automatically go into trickle charge mode if left plugged in, but that is just a guess...

Yes to the driving around once a week/fortnight - but half an hour each time is pretty much the minimum, or it won't get the whole exhaust hot enough and it will tend to rot (happened to mine because the previous owner left it idling on the drive rather than taking it out for a proper run).

Coming in late on this and slightly off topic.Besides the exhaust corrosion the main problem is the engine oil must get up to working temperature .Without an oil temperature gauge, I would not start an engine unless an 1/2 to one hour trip is expected. Remember 90% of engine wear is experienced on start up.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down