The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind

3 posters

Go down

CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind Empty CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind

Post by meanchris Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Do you have a gas and/or CO alarm fitted?

I decided to buy a CO/gas detector, partly because we obviously burn propane in the heater, cooker etc, but partly to soothe Chris' fears after she read a story in the Daily Wail about British motorhomers getting gassed in a French aire.

Original story here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've read the discussions about "sleeping gas" attacks, with cynicism, as all the experts seem to agree that anaesthetic gas is highly unlikely to be effective against a whole family in a campervan.

But, Carbon Monoxide is a very different, and nasty, proposition. If some unscrupulous idiot is prepared to fill the van with CO from a car exhaust, I want to know about it, rapidly.

The story confirms that the family had detectable levels of CO in their bloodstreams so, true or not, I'm not prepared to take chances.

We bought this device from eBay:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and I have to say, it works very well. I've tested it in the kitchen with Butane, Propane, Natural Gas and it shows which type of gas is detected (CO or LPG/Gas) along with the concentration of CO, while sounding a loud alarm. It also detects an unusual rise in temperature, although it warns that it doesn't replace a smoke detector, (which we already have anyway), so it's also capable of being an alternate fire alarm.

In standby mode it reads temperature in deg C or F, or the display can be switched off if you like while it remains alert.

Ours is wired into the main 12V busbar behind the control panel and can be turned off with the 12V switch, although obviously we leave it on overnight, (the LCD display is just bright enough to use as a navigation light for night time loo visits)

I feel that it gives a lot of useful information on the display, better than just an alarm beeping, if the CO alarm goes off in the middle of the night I'll assume we're under attack and respond accordingly (by hiding under the duvet probably  hugegrins)

Thought I'd post this as we're very happy with its extended functionality for the money, no connection except satisfied customer etc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind Empty Re: CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind

Post by Jaytee Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:05 pm

That looks like a good bit of kit.up!
We have the CO and smoke but the LPG monitor side sounds like a good idea.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind Empty Re: CO/Gas detector - for peace of mind

Post by mikethebike Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 am

Hi , :greatpost:Meanchris.

Thanks for that link as well. Its the most likely scenario I have read.
Must wait for Dutto to come back for his view. up!

Regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 am

Hi , :greatpost:Meanchris.

Thanks for that link as well. Its the most likely scenario I have read.
Must wait for Dutto to come back for his view. up!

Regards

Mike

Last edited by mikethebike on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicate)
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down