The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor)

+5
PLOUGHLIN
mousy
groundhog
Claytaa
Peter Brown
9 posters

Go down

Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor) Empty Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor)

Post by Peter Brown Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:46 pm

The tyre inflator that comes with Mercedes chassis that don't have a spare wheel is extremely powerful for its size.  It is of course designed to inflate to high pressures and a 25amp accessory socket is provided in the van specifically to allow a powerful unit to be used.

My van is three years old on 5th October and came with a three year warranty so on Wednesday I had a major service and MOT, no problems were anticipated and none transpired.

Garages are wont to fiddle with tyre pressures and sure enough they had so yesterday afternoon I got the tyre inflator out to return the tyres to my preferred pressures.  As I operated the lock lever to connect the hose to the first valve the whole valve connector broke off the end of the hose.  A bit of a shock and a lot of annoyance.

I called my Mercedes dealer and, after first having to convince them that Mercedes did supply the tyre inflator with the vehicle (by giving them the Mercedes part number), they took on board the problem and within an hour came back and said that Germany had accepted the breakage as a warranty claim and, subject to them actually seeing the broken unit, would replace it as such.

I was asked to ring at 10 this morning to see if the replacement had arrived and by 11 I had the new unit free of charge.  It would be nice if it hadn't broken in the first place but I may have strained it when trying to squeeze the hose back into the unit for storage, however the investigation and replacement was so well done.

If you haven't used yours and your van is still in warranty it may be an idea to try it - but make sure you use the 25amp accessory socket.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor) Empty Re: Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor)

Post by Claytaa Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:26 pm

What are you preferred tyre pressures Peter?
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor) Empty Re: Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor)

Post by Peter Brown Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Bearing in mind these are for a 3880kg Mercedes chassis AS Malvern loaded for me:

F52 R70

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Eureka! Thanks Peter!!

I have been messing around trying to inflate my tyres with a useless tyre inflator that runs of the 12v socket or using a foot pump WHEN THERE IS A PERFECTLY GOOD ONE UNDER THE FLOOR I FORGOT WAS EVEN THERE!!

Foolish boy Pike...  confused3
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Did you manage to get it all back into its case?  I found it was very powerful and therefore quick, but spent a long time getting the cables and hose back in enough to fit back in.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:22 am

I've used mine a few times and always struggled to get the cable and hose back in the case which is why it is possible I strained the neck of the connector that broke off.

The new one is going to live in a bag under the bench seats so I don't have to force everything back inside - a shame because the original storage location is then wasted.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mousy Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Is it under the drivers or passengers floor?
mousy
mousy

Female

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Northants

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:26 pm

mousy wrote:Is it under the drivers or passengers floor?

Driver's side doorwell.
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor) Empty Mercedes Supplied Tyre Inflator (compressor)

Post by plato2012 Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:47 am

I was told, following the collection of my Stanton, that Mercedes no longer supply a compressor or the temporary repair kit despite the fact that my vehicle has no spare. I have bought my own as AS were not interested. I have also fitted a TyrePal monitoring which hopefully will give me some advance warning of a tyre problem.
Recently learned that new laws in Spain require all vehicles to care a spare wheel. Not sure how to get over that one.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:51 pm

I checked that a spare wheel and tyre was fitted under the chassis (original Mercedes carrying frame and alloy wheel too!) of Winnie before I agreed to buy her. This now has a covering bag (bags-4-all) fitted to keep it clean. The purchase of this "peace of mind" had been an expensive extra for me when I had my last Fiat, originally supplied only with a pump and container of goo. 

Of course, one has to realise that, in common with other MH manufacturers, A/S build their body modifications onto the back of the standard vehicle bases supplied to them by the makers, Peugeot/Fiat/Mercedes etc, and if the panel van/cab/chassis has items on as standard, those items stay with the vehicle throughout manufacture (unless, I suppose, they have to be removed in order to fit the A/S bodywork). A/S wouldn't be in the business of buying vehicles to strip bit off and then try to sell them back to the vehicle maker, would they? Neither would they wish to pay for extras to be fitted by Merc/Fiat etc in order to supply us, the A/S customers, with "free goodies".
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 pm

That's a great idea to get a cover for the spare, thanks for the tip, how much better it is to handle a clean wheel at least.

When we got our Worcester (2012) I rang Marquis to find out where the specified steering column adjuster was, it was listed and of course standard on the Sprinter....answer was

A/S spec vehicles do not have this feature so they do 'leave things off' to cut corners.

If there is anything you want it is worth asking if it is possible. We wanted and have heated cab seats but A/S do not offer it as an option.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:42 am

Good idea re the bag Barry, I will get one of those. 
A point worth noting even though you will all know this LOL is to practice taking the wheel from the spare carrier just to see how it all works ready for the 'actual event'. I did this on the caravan after owning it for about five years and the slide etc was seized solid. (Probably not a part of the sevice?)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:12 am

plato2012 wrote:I was told, following the collection of my Stanton, that Mercedes no longer supply a compressor or the temporary repair kit despite the fact that my vehicle has no spare. I have bought my own as AS were not interested. I have also fitted a TyrePal monitoring which hopefully will give me some advance warning of a tyre problem.
Recently learned that new laws in Spain require all vehicles to care a spare wheel. Not sure how to get over that one.
Plato,
Our Stanton delivery is approaching, seems like forever since we ordered it in July(!), I did a lot of research prior to ordering as I would not want a van without a spare and I didn't want a longer van. There is no room inside the van for a big wheel and tyre and no room underneath either, so the answer I came up with was to get a carrier to mount the wheel on a towing bracket on the back.
This is the unit I purchased:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Being an engineer I'm not all that struck on the idea of clamping this weight to a tow-ball, so I've purchased some bits of stainless steel angle from e-bay and have made a bracket which will bolt the Bak-Rak direct to the towing bracket in place of the ball. As we will have a bike rack on the back of the van I've got a drop plate (which might not be necessary but I can't tell yet!) to lower the carrier and tyre; the bike rack will stick out more than the spare wheel.

Of course one thing leads to another and the rear number plate will be obscured... so I've got one of those red/white alluminium boards which are required in Italy, this will carry a "square" number plate and a set of LED lights. It will fit on the back of the spare wheel tucked into the wheel rack. I'll get a cover for the wheel and the wheel will be locked to the tow bar by a hardened security chain, the sort that motor-cyclists use. I'm guessing that a really stroppy Italian cop might take issue with part of the red/white board being covered, so I have been practicing gesticulating and shrugging in a mirror. shrugg

I can't produce photos at the moments because I ain't got: the van, the wheel or some of the stainless bits (drilling 16.5mm holes is beyond my humble home workshop!). Hopefully I'll be able to photograph it all assembled and in place and also the various bits and pieces in about 3 weeks.

In order to avoid thread-dilution, I'll post updates in this thread:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Today I thought I would check tyre pressures before a trip to New Forest. Rear near side was a bit low. Out with the MB pump, and low and behold as I pressed the lever on the connector it sheared exactly as Peter Brown described in the original post. I will try getting a goodwill replacement but can't hold much hope. The £8.99 pump that came with my Air Assistors on the rear suspension satisfactorily completed the work, if a bit slowly.

All you people with Merc chassis should check your pump, before it lets you down on the road.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:00 pm

Thank for the reminder... I had forgotten to check it but will do so tomorrow, still carrying round a spare 12v plug in compressor which of course I should not need!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down